Planetside 2 Ultra Graphics

All about the persistent, free-to-play MMOFPS.
CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank
Planetside 2 Ultra Graphics

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 am

Oooooh ultra graphics.... I can only dream of computers like the ones these two people have. This first video shows off the lighting effects in Ultra Graphics while the second shows off the amazing physics that are there but can be SEEN with the physx setting on. (you will understand when you watch the second video) I almost cried when I saw this first one. I need a better computer XD

LIGHTING:

PHYSICS:

Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Re: Planetside 2 Ultra Graphics

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 am

Quite honestly, frames above 10 in large battles would be considered a great success in my game.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:00 am

It is so weird, now. All I can see anymore are the techniques that made the effects.
NOTHING LOOKS REAL ANYMORE! DAMMIT!

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:02 am

Some famous graphics guy said that once, I think.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

pretty

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

I'd rather they made a low quality setting, so people without super duper gaming computers can play.

But if I did buy a super duper gaming computer (which I won't) then I would use this
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 am

Prototype wrote:I'd rather they made a low quality setting, so people without super duper gaming computers can play.

But if I did buy a super duper gaming computer (which I won't) then I would use this
um... they DO have a low graphics setting. In fact, all my graphics are set to low and my render quality is set to 0. :P
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

And you still can't get above 14 frames.

My graphics are set to high and anything that could ever effect CPU performance is set to -1445.

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:19 pm

The only way I can see this working is with a top of the line i7 quad core. Anything less will just die.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Here's a question for ya,

Does Planetside2 not even allow you to have access to Ultra unless you've got some level of PC specs? Because I'm running with everything as high as I can put it, which is high, not ultra, because the ultra option isn't even there for some obscure reason, and there's none of that physics crap.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm

There's no such thing as Ultra, some people just use it as synonymous with 'maxxed out'. You have to install nVidia Physx to get physics stuff, I'd imagine.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Tiel wrote:There's no such thing as Ultra, some people just use it as synonymous with 'maxxed out'. You have to install nVidia Physx to get physics stuff, I'd imagine.
Oh, that makes sense, cause the option for GPU physics is grayed out in my video settings menu.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:The only way I can see this working is with a top of the line i7 quad core. Anything less will just die.
The CPU almost doesn't matter in most games. I don't have great numbers for this, but the core i7 920, which was the model everyone had in the first gen of the i7 series, has a theoretical performance of 89.6 GFLOPS (floating-point operations per second). The Latest generation might be twice that because of an improved floating point pipeline. Its sustainable performance is ~30 GFLOPS. On the other hand, the NVIDIA GTX 560ti, which I think is the current most popular graphics card with desktop gamers, is 1263 GFLOPS.

Keep in mind, too that the CPU only gets even remotely close to 100% usage and efficiency when used for things like video processing which runs on all the cores. I would ballpark estimate the CPU will probably be running at around 20% efficiency unless it is a well optimized game.

Because of this, developers are trying to move everything they can onto the GPU, including physics and even AI in some cases. For games, pretty much any CPU you have is going to be fine. It is the GPU that matters.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:29 pm

fr0st, this is one of those CPU dependent games. The engine PS2 runs on is just like, ironically enough, frostbite in that more of the workload is shifted from the graphics card to the processor when rendering the landscape and entities.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Looked up some stuff on the Forgelight engine. It's kind of interesting. I noticed the atmospheric scattering in the video, and that the terrain shadowing wasn't baked, but I didn't notice the radiosity effects from the glowing projectiles. I wonder if it is only mapped on the static parts of the environment. If not, that's kind of impressive. I was also wondering if the smoke effects were volumetric, and it looks like they very well could be, but the flames were definitely billboard particles.

From what I am seeing, there is nothing particularly groundbreaking in the engine, but what is there is done quite competently, especially for any sort of MMO. I can't, however, seem to find any detailed info about how its innards actually work, nor have I been able to find any references to the CPU usage at all. Did you read about that somewhere, or is it just from personal observation?