My problem with Planetside 2

All about the persistent, free-to-play MMOFPS.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
My problem with Planetside 2

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

They call it persistent, but it isn't. Taking a base, indeed taking an entire continent won't help your empire tomorrow. The turnover time is too high. There needs to be some way where what you did had a real consequence. For example, I push back TR on Indar, because Indar is the only thing that matters. All the way to their warpgate. If I sign in tomorrow, TR should not have that continent taken over. They should be in the process of taking half or a quarter back. How you can fix that I don't know, because if a capture took 4 hours each, I sure wouldn't play. Just a rant.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Re: My problem with Planetside 2

Post by Avenger_7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

The reason the turnover is so high is that everyone is focused on capturing instead of defending, because capturing gets you more cert points.

I guess I don't need to explain how you fix this.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:The reason the turnover is so high is that everyone is focused on capturing instead of defending, because capturing gets you more cert points.

The latest patch is supposed to give incentives to defending, right?

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Keon wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:The reason the turnover is so high is that everyone is focused on capturing instead of defending, because capturing gets you more cert points.

The latest patch is supposed to give incentives to defending, right?
Yes, it is to increase points given for people who hold/defended to the end a position. So, you and your twelve friends get to face one hundred guys while hoping for help or just earning a bunch of points for going down with the ship.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am

keon, the game is under heavy development, and the developers are still learning from mistakes. Here. These are the changes that they will implement in the upcoming months: http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am

CommanderKobialka wrote:keon, the game is under heavy development, and the developers are still learning from mistakes. Here. These are the changes that they will implement in the upcoming months: http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap
Read it already. Yeah, I know it's under development, that's just my petty issue with the game. Plus, if they make it take longer to cap, then I couldn't do as much and it would just be a waitingfest.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm

'in development' really isn't an excuse. They're presenting the product already for monetary gain, it should be judged as such. Fanboys on MCF use that to defend Minecraft to this day...reaaaaally annoying.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Tiel wrote:'in development' really isn't an excuse. They're presenting the product already for monetary gain, it should be judged as such. Fanboys on MCF use that to defend Minecraft to this day...reaaaaally annoying.
Well its not reasonable for them to defend minecraft like that. Because version 1.1 was considered the full version. However, its perfectly reasonable to defend PS2 in that way because its really good for a free to play game. I would never expect as much out of a F2P game as I have gotten out PS2. Besides, Minecraft is a great game that was released before it was even in alpha, and it had huge problems. Lots of other game companies are trying that now so...
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm

PS2 Cap/Def system is perfect right now, If you could hold a facility for a good amount of time then the game would crash.
Think about if you get on and the majority of your empires territory is gone, You have low resource gain and you cant push through anything (Even with good strategy) so what do you do? Quit, Resulting in the enemy holding that base for even longer, Then eventually the game becomes one-sided and fails. But with the rapid system now there is always a place to fight, defend, or just play around in.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Shadowcat wrote:PS2 Cap/Def system is perfect right now, If you could hold a facility for a good amount of time then the game would crash.
Think about if you get on and the majority of your empires territory is gone, You have low resource gain and you cant push through anything (Even with good strategy) so what do you do? Quit, Resulting in the enemy holding that base for even longer, Then eventually the game becomes one-sided and fails. But with the rapid system now there is always a place to fight, defend, or just play around in.
Not really, if your faction is getting low recourse gain compared to the other factions, it gives an incentive to capture more territory.