How...?

All about the persistent, free-to-play MMOFPS.
Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran
How...?

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm

Considering my god-like abilities in TF2, I was expecting to be able to pick up this game fairly easily (such modesty). I have been playing for several hours now, and in that time I have killed 3 people and died 200 times. HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS GAME!!!! I keep getting hit by people out of nowhere with no chance of ever being able to defend myself. Help.
This is a signature.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Re: How...?

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:01 am

It's hella confusing in the start. My first hour or so I could barely see the difference between ally and enemy. I think the key is stay with people, spam the Q button, and shoot anything with red over it.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 am

PS2 doesn't play like any other shooter I've ever encountered. If you stick with it for a couple of days it'll get better, I promise.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 am

After 3 days at least I can get the occasional kill now, can confirm it gets better.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:18 am

In short? PS2 plays more realistically.

In TF2, you engage at a maximum of, what, 150 meters at absolute most? In PS2, there are folks with assault rifles pegging you at 200, and snipers nailing you at 500+. Keep your head behind a solid object and advance from cover to cover.

Or find a tank. Tanks work too.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 am

Yeah, as long as the enemies don't have tanks too.

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:19 am

Then you need more tank.

Never enough tank.

Always tank.

(Or become a l33t marksman.)

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 am

Commander Error wrote:In short? PS2 plays more realistically.

In TF2, you engage at a maximum of, what, 150 meters at absolute most? In PS2, there are folks with assault rifles pegging you at 200, and snipers nailing you at 500+. Keep your head behind a solid object and advance from cover to cover.

Or find a tank. Tanks work too.
Infantry render distance is hard capped at 300 meters. Vehicles render from farther away, but it isn't possible to kill an infantryman from more than 300 meters. With a gun, anyway—you could probably place a mine and then run that far away from it.

My two pieces of advice to new players are 1) play as a Combat Medic and 2) never stop moving. When you're new, your Medical Applicator is your absolute best investment. Yes, even the last 500-cert upgrade. It will pay for itself faster than anything else in the game, and reviving people is a great way to get relatively risk-free experience before you've got combat down. Use the code 'SUMMERREWARD' to get a free Assault Rifle that's better than the one your Medic spawns with. If you stop moving, you're gonna get sniped. Even if you're inside. If you somehow don't get sniped, somebody's gonna knife you. You will not be able to stop them. If you're in a tank and you stop moving, somebody's gonna put C4 on you. There are no circumstances under which that ends well.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

Wüt? I swear I've seen longer-range kills. So either that's adjustable, or some folks get terrifyingly lucky with random shooting.

Also, 300 meters is pretty lamesauce. Seriously, the average modern assault rifle is roughly 300-350m range. I have trouble beliving guys with nanotech and such can't build longer-range weapons. That's on the same level of the 'shotguns only ever work at 10 meters or less' bull. /rant

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 am

Commander Error wrote:Wüt? I swear I've seen longer-range kills. So either that's adjustable, or some folks get terrifyingly lucky with random shooting.

Also, 300 meters is pretty lamesauce. Seriously, the average modern assault rifle is roughly 300-350m range. I have trouble beliving guys with nanotech and such can't build longer-range weapons. That's on the same level of the 'shotguns only ever work at 10 meters or less' bull. /rant
It isn't adjustable, and by not possible, I mean not possible. Infantry don't render beyond that distance; as far as anyone farther out is concerned, they don't exist. They can't be harmed in any way. Occasionally you'll see tanks trying to shell a tower from too far away; you can see them and shoot at them because they're rendered for you, but their shots don't hurt you because on their computer you're not there. 300 meters is actually the ideal-conditions maximum; in a big fight, it isn't uncommon to see people popping into existence 50-100 meters away. Makes sniping impossible.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 am

On my first (and so far only) session of PS2, my strategy was going for the rocket launcher class, then going around the battlefield and rocket-sniping incoming enemy tanks.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 am

@LJS Well that's a programming cop-out if I've ever heard one.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:43 am

The few hours I played I ended up with an unarmed Vanu vehicle in the middle of a plain, surrounded by enemies in the middle of a big plain area. I was too fast for the tank, and none of the infantry had actual anti vehicle weapons. I swear, if vehicles could kill people by rolling into them I'd've won that fight. But oh well, in the end they somehow destroyed my vehicle (after a bunch of minutes), and after another little while of taking cover behind... something, I think it was a rock or whatever, trying to kill people at range with vanu dakka and failing miserably, the tank shredsploded me. #justVanuThings

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Commander Error wrote:@LJS Well that's a programming cop-out if I've ever heard one.
They haven't got a ton of choice. The game runs poorly enough as it is, for most people; lag gets worse as you add more players. PS2 is a game that's really hindered by technology. They can't really do all the stuff they need to yet. That's why bases tend not to have moving parts, too; that's more stress on their networks.
Saravanth wrote:I swear, if vehicles could kill people by rolling into them
You can. The VS MBT, though, because it hovers, has a harder time of it than other vehicles—it's possible for infantry to duck underneath and survive.
Ivan2006 wrote:On my first (and so far only) session of PS2, my strategy was going for the rocket launcher class, then going around the battlefield and rocket-sniping incoming enemy tanks.
Wouldn't recommend it. That's an awfully inefficient way of getting XP, since your chance of significantly damaging a tank from any kind of range with the default RL is tiny. Like I said, play a medic. Assault rifles are good guns, the aura heal is a great ability for a new player, and revives are a great way to contribute to the team when you can't reliably CQC yet.

Error

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 pm

I generally sit behind cover with Mad Revives (TM) and Mad Heals (TM). Also, Combat Medics are the only class with full-blown assault rifles. Booyeah.

@LJS p'rhaps they should fix their game, then?

...now I'm just being silly, aren't I?