Lawyer/Legislator

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Lawyer/Legislator

Post by cats » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

In the recent debate concerning judges, moderators and their roles, the need of another, more passive group has become apparent. This group would create minor rules, defend members in the courts, and most importantly make sure that the other branches are acting as they should. In turn, the judges and moderators can make null any law passed by the L/L.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: Lawyer/Legislator

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Suddenly Obama.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Cats, this was shot down before (and likely will be again) as you are basically proposing the creation of a group filling a niche that Judges are meant to fill, and with no purpose beyond that.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:Cats, this was shot down before (and likely will be again) as you are basically proposing the creation of a group filling a niche that Judges are meant to fill, and with no purpose beyond that.
It was never shot down, nothing really happened with the thread.

The judges aren't filling it, therefore lawyers. Also members can't defend themselves in the court.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 am

As I said in another thread , stuff happens too fast here to have lawyers, its a decision of hours not days. Everyone can step for anyone anyway, I surely will step for anyone who was accused wrongfully and when I argue for values you know I won't give up, so you're in good hands :) (As long as you're in my time zone xD )
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 am

Iv121 wrote:As I said in another thread , stuff happens too fast here to have lawyers, its a decision of hours not days. Everyone can step for anyone anyway, I surely will step for anyone who was accused wrongfully and when I argue for values you know I won't give up, so you're in good hands :) (As long as you're in my time zone xD )
But you can't post in the courts, nor do you have a hand in common or minor lawmaking. (anymore)
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 am

I can, if you can't post in the court section it is either a bug that tiel needs to fix or a big miscalculation, how can you defend yourself in court if you cant write in it ??? And I don't need to know those dirty lawyer tricks to protect my opinion or others. We are not looking for holes in the law here , leave those dirty things to the lawyers.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 am

Iv121 wrote:I can, if you can't post in the court section it is either a bug that tiel needs to fix or a big miscalculation, how can you defend yourself in court if you cant write in it ??? And I don't need to know those dirty lawyer tricks to protect my opinion or others. We are not looking for holes in the law here , leave those dirty things to the lawyers.
No mere mortal can post in the courts. The court of appeals, yes, but not the courts. It's to prevent.. IDK, something probably important. Another reason for lawyers.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:51 am

Actually I understand why - the court is where the judges post stuff and mods keep track of points (Because at no circumstances should punishments be secret. The mods MUST inform about warnings and especially bans) and the court of appeals is where you ... well appeal and this is where you defend yourself.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Iv121 wrote:I can, if you can't post in the court section it is either a bug that tiel needs to fix or a big miscalculation, how can you defend yourself in court if you cant write in it ??? And I don't need to know those dirty lawyer tricks to protect my opinion or others. We are not looking for holes in the law here , leave those dirty things to the lawyers.
No mere mortal can post in the courts. The court of appeals, yes, but not the courts. It's to prevent.. IDK, something probably important. Another reason for lawyers.
We don't need lawyers because mods and judges are expected to give warnings/bans under the correct circumstances. If they don't, they are not suitable to be mod/judge...

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 pm

blockman42 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
We don't need lawyers because mods and judges are expected to give warnings/bans under the correct circumstances. If they don't, they are not suitable to be mod/judge...
I have yet to see a trial or appeal happen under the correct circumstances. It's usually something like "Just accept your points and stop bothering us."
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 pm

We're not a full-on government, we don't need this! In my opinion this is just adding unnecessary bureaucratic jumbo to our forum.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 pm

legislative*

Bureaucratic would imply it would serve the interests of the people in power to begin with, rather than the 'people'. But I agree, it is somewhat unnecessary. I'm in the belief we should clearly define the roles to avoid confusion.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Has this been shot down?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Why would you ask such a question?
— David Langford
Spoiler: