Posts in Offtopic counting towards ranks

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.

Texas style!

Total votes: 0

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear
Re: Posts in Offtopic counting towards ranks

Post by Prototype » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:32 am

Shadowcat wrote:It might not be considered spam but you could've posted it in the RP section on the other hand though.
Actually, that's a point, your story is more suited to the roleplay section, rather than off topic, at least I think it is, off topic probably isn't the best place for it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:09 am

While ultimately the popular vote was for 'No', in that posts in the Offtopic/Etc/Lounge subforum should not count towards ranks, Iv has made some excellent points that have yet to be met with any decent rebuttal. Dismissing this category as a cesspool by not allowing posts to count isn't going to solve anything; in fact it's far more likely to promote the rambunctiousness that so commonly occurred on the previous forum.

As such the name has been changed. Subforum specific rules will also be coming soon, so as to clear up any confusion regarding the purposes of each section.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 am

I guess it leaves both sides happy.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Commander Error wrote:We're not a totalitarian community, we're a semi-democratic one.
This community exists to worship the god Mackeroth in all his glory.
Excuse what is most definately a late reply, but that comment made me smile.

Anyway, I agree with what Iv suggested: posts are awarded points if they are useful. We could use a system similar to the +1 system on the Minecraft Forums. This way, the only way to level up is to impress the community.

By the way, I only read the first half page of this topic, so I apologize if I've said what's already been suggested.
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Not possible from a practicability standpoint.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Tiel wrote:Not possible from a practicability standpoint.
Why not? User-based experience-points works fine on the Minecraft Forums and PMC. Especially PMC. Just have a look at Instinct's or my signature to prove that.
This is a signature.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Tiel wrote:Not possible from a practicability standpoint.
Why not? User-based experience-points works fine on the Minecraft Forums and PMC. Especially PMC. Just have a look at Instinct's or my signature to prove that.
I believe he's saying that it would be extremely difficult to implement here.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Correct. The theme is very, well, breakable, as I'm sure you've noticed. Most PHPbb MODs are designed for either the subsilver or prosilver styles, neither of which are 100% compatible with the modified version of ca_orbital we're running. That's the main reason I took out the whole Dev Blog thing before handing the login over to Shiva.

If a majority of the community wants it I could try modifying the PHP files, but I can't guarantee it'd work and it could feasibly obliterate the forum. It is possible, yes, but hardly practical when we have a system that worked quite swell on the old forum.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 pm

The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting here is that ranks don't mean anything.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm

They are a visible representation of your ability to waste your life on the internet. I'd say that counts for something C:

I wouldn't mind having a system where you earn points from creating topics or making posts that could be spent on snazzy ranks or avatars. Something I'd been designing through creating an unholy combination of PHPbb MODs but ultimately deemed too radical for this forum.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting here is that ranks don't mean anything.
LJS c’mon aren't you proud of the shiny mod badge on your profile ? Wasn't it you who complained the judge badge is shinier than yours ?

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting here is that ranks don't mean anything.
LJS c’mon aren't you proud of the shiny mod badge on your profile ? Wasn't it you who complained the judge badge is shinier than yours ?
Oh, yes, I am indeed. But I don't give a crap about my equally shiny Midshipman bars, which is what we're talking about when we say 'rank', unless I'm very much mistaken.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Ranks, badges etc. All indicate your position within the system. It's always nice to have a shiny sign on your chest (In our case your profile) and can actually be quite interesting stuff for you. OFC just post count is less impressive than service time as I suggested but still counts towards something.

The idea of ranks and badges can go much further actually straight into our structure as whole. If let's say we divide the members into platoons lets call them, each with it's own insignia and stuff. The platoons compete with each other on Sundays to earn points in a big tourney - event . It's quite fun and has a badge :) . Another thing - medals. For different stuff members did they can be given medals. A member who was most contributing during the month can receive a medal for it as a thanks from the community, something to be proud of. Winners of tourneys and stuff also get them.

As for ranks they can be awarded with time as I said (also solves the post count and spam issue) to present your veteran status on the forums, also a nice thing.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Iv121 wrote:Ranks, badges etc. All indicate your position within the system. It's always nice to have a shiny sign on your chest (In our case your profile) and can actually be quite interesting stuff for you. OFC just post count is less impressive than service time as I suggested but still counts towards something.

The idea of ranks and badges can go much further actually straight into our structure as whole. If let's say we divide the members into platoons lets call them, each with it's own insignia and stuff. The platoons compete with each other on Sundays to earn points in a big tourney - event . It's quite fun and has a badge :) . Another thing - medals. For different stuff members did they can be given medals. A member who was most contributing during the month can receive a medal for it as a thanks from the community, something to be proud of. Winners of tourneys and stuff also get them.

As for ranks they can be awarded with time as I said (also solves the post count and spam issue) to present your veteran status on the forums, also a nice thing.
I agree that it would make more sense for the ranks to be determined by time rather than post count. However, for the rest of it, I think you're absolutely out of your mind. Not everyone here is in the army, Iv.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Well I'd like to surprise you that your standard social structure is not that different. Humans are built upon hierarchy, try to get higher in it and like show-off their status. You think there is another use for a golden mouse for example ? Shows your high status in economical hierarchy, there are other sorts of hierarchies on our society ... Dates back to the times we were tribal monkeys.