Somewhat Ridiculous Over-categorization

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Somewhat Ridiculous Over-categorization

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:11 am

So, I understand the desire to keep the forum organized. But subsubforums for every game strikes me as a little bit crazy. Actually, the very idea of a subsubforum seems a bit crazy. Is this really necessary? I agree with separating Off-Topic and RP, but the Off-Topic area always seemed to work before, even though that forum was much bigger than this one.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Somewhat Ridiculous Over-categorization

Post by Iv121 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Yea I didn't ask to go THAT far , mostly renaming the Off-topic area and adding games subforum :) . This subforum is needed, the FC discussion isn’t on the other hand (for now). only 2 topics that already exceeded their usefulness.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm standing firm on subcategories in the Gaming section. Much more organized instead of it being the equivalent of Offtopic on the old forums where games swiftly disappeared under a mass of other threads, even duplicate ones. In this manner the games the community primarily play are displayed in a prominent position, and thus will be visited more.

So instead of having thirty or so topics generally about the same thing, it can all be restricted to one category and as such doesn't clutter the rest of the subforum.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Separate the SDA from other design like buildings and such?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Separate the SDA from other design like buildings and such?
So like put 1 thread in its own subforum?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:Separate the SDA from other design like buildings and such?
So like put 1 thread in its own subforum?
What? No. Have a design area subforum, and have a ship design area and misc. design area infraforum.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:So, I understand the desire to keep the forum organized. But subsubforums for every game strikes me as a little bit crazy. Actually, the very idea of a subsubforum seems a bit crazy. Is this really necessary? I agree with separating Off-Topic and RP, but the Off-Topic area always seemed to work before, even though that forum was much bigger than this one.
I'd prefer an organized forum with subforums and subsubforums rather than a big heap of everything in one subforum...
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 pm

catsonmeth wrote: What? No. Have a design area subforum, and have a ship design area and misc. design area infraforum.
But thats not really needed right now since there are maybe 20 ships threads, If we get a boost in people then yes this would definantly be a good setup.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
catsonmeth wrote: What? No. Have a design area subforum, and have a ship design area and misc. design area infraforum.
But thats not really needed right now since there are maybe 20 ships threads, If we get a boost in people then yes this would definantly be a good setup.
If one builds a skyscraper or keep worthy of sharing, they would want to post it on the forum. It obviously doesn't go in the ship design area, so the alt. is to put it in the offtopic, where it will probably go unnoticed by many.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 am

catsonmeth wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:
If one builds a skyscraper or keep worthy of sharing, they would want to post it on the forum. It obviously doesn't go in the ship design area, so the alt. is to put it in the offtopic, where it will probably go unnoticed by many.
Yes it does. A skyscraper would probably belong in Vessel Architecture, even though it's not technically a vessel, especially if it was going into an existing design thread. The next alternative would be the Minecraft subsubforum, and then general Off-Topic.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I agree gaming should just become Minecraft again.
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:58 pm

As much as I'd like to be democratic about everything this is something I'm adamant about. Unless you convince our admin to change or otherwise oppose them, the subsubforums are going to remain.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 am

It'd be nice to have a "Minecraft" and just and "Other" in the gaming subforum.
— David Langford
Spoiler: