Community symbol

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire
Re: Community symbol

Post by Alduin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Iv121 wrote:While humor is usually good official stuff should remain serious or people wont take you seriously.

I did this so far. Wht do you think ?
Spoiler:
amazing!
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Iv121 wrote:While humor is usually good official stuff should remain serious or people wont take you seriously.

I did this so far. Wht do you think ?
Spoiler:
Kickass, but I suggest maybe adding Half a galaxy as a background on the left hand side go show going from earth to space
Or something
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:15 pm

That will be too much in my opinion, too many details...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Something like this but replace the ship with a comunity made MC ship.

Wait that would be a poster for FC, Lets just shrink that one farther up.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:38 pm

But that picture doesn't have anything to do with Minecraft, or even the future, really. It's got a picture of the Earth, but that's not the future. We've got Earth now. The star's not terrible, except that I thought your intention was for it to be a star in the sense of big plasma ball in space, which it isn't. I dunno. The impression I get from it is that it's supposed to be symbolic and stuff, but there's nothing for it to be symbolic of, so it just seems... flat, maybe? I don't know what the proper word is for that.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:54 pm

we need explosions for sure

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm

A Steve holding a laser rifle blowing up a Termicreeper?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:48 pm

I believe this to be relevant.
Spoiler:
Principles Of Good Symbol Design
Good symbol design for a map doesn't have to be difficult. Keep these principles in mind when designing your own...

Make it easy to identify Make the symbol easy to recognize and you will save your viewers a lot of frustration and your map enjoyable to read. Otherwise, the reader will have to refer to a legend to even know what the symbol represents.
Make it memorable If the viewer cannot recall the symbol after seeing it once in the legend, the viewer will have to refer to the legend every time they see the symbol. This is inefficient and frustrating.
Keep it closed in form Using a closed form helps viewers reading the map focus on the symbol. For example, a circle is a closed form that focuses the viewer's eye on itself. A star is an open form that makes the viewer's eye want to move out. Make your symbols more rounded and minimize any out-pointing parts.
Be careful of abstraction level A symbol too abstract will make the symbol too difficult to recognize and recall. But abstraction is good. Think of a cartoon. Humans and animals are abstracted to the important details, but enough detail remains to read body language. They are also exaggerated to make faces, and therefore emotions, easy to read. The key is finding the balance between abstraction and detail.
Make it reducible Maps may be printed at a different size than originally designed. If you make symbols too detailed or fail to exaggerate enough, the symbol will not be effective at smaller sizes.
Design for one color Maps may be printed in blank and white. To accommodate printing, design symbols for one color, then you may add additional colors for enhancement.
Use negative space Negative space, or white space, can add a special dynamic to make your symbol really stick out and be memorable. Carefully consider the effects of negative space when designing symbols.
Give it appropriate weight Visual weight is the opposite of negative space. It is dark space, or the amount of black ink in relation to white space. Make symbols sufficient in weight to attract attention on the map without dominating. Balance symbols with labels and the other symbols on the map.
Give it appropriate direction Viewers perceive symbols that have a movement up and to the right as positive. Down and to the left are negative. Consider the movement with the symbol "feel" you want to achieve.
Don't mix line-outline and silhouette symbols Mixing different forms causes a symbol to look disjointed... giving a feeling of lack of connection and organization. Lack of organization confuses viewers and distracts from the map. Make your symbols consistent in design.
SORCE:http://www.decorative-maps.com/articles ... od-design/
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Shadowcat wrote:A Steve holding a laser rifle blowing up a Termicreeper?
IN A MECH SUIT ON A SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF A GIANT BATTLE GOING INTO A STAR.

I like implementation of our forum avatar-RPs. Maybe a banner that depicts all of the vets' avatars in a pitched battle and a dragon dueling with Shiva above, all under the watchful eye of an eye-eye (aye-aye? eyeeye?) that melds with a sunset in the background.

If we had the Banhammer we could use that as an icon *cough* but we don't.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Dux_Tell31 wrote:I believe this to be relevant.
Not really. That's how you make marker dots look good on a map of an area, and most of the advice is very specific to that context. It's not really applicable to what we're trying to do, which is make a logo for the forum.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Wait wait wait I think we have difrent thoughts upon this.
Is this a Small Icon, A forum Banner, or an FC promo poster?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 am

This is a BIG Icon to start with :P (800x800) , it is a symbol that can be used in banners, promos, pretty much anywhere you need us to be recognised.

@ LJS I cannot make a big block in the middle of the symbol because it looks disconnected and ugly even though it is most directly connected to futurecraft. If we make a space mode the star will do just fine. We need a background for it so I picked earth to "Unite us" because no other suggestions were given. If we plan to become a social gaming community we should find something that unites all games or things we do thus no game specific content. If you have any additional suggestions and specific ways to improve it just say.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 am

Maybe make some insignia for the center of the image, then (13) miniature stars around it.

One for each (current) RP faction on FCF?

Numbers will go up, probably, but this is a start, I guess?
idk.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

It will be worse than the American flag :P . What you actually say there is to make a star for each member of the community, excluding some weirdoes such myself who do not take part in the roleplay section.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 am

Your is the better idea, da.

And I mean the stars would encircle the insignia, not sit in a corner.