Moving the forum to a new host (maybe?)

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth
Re: Moving the forum to a new host (maybe?)

Post by Saravanth » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:24 pm

TOP OF THE FORUM?!

Put a box at the top showing who's online and logged into the box, but please, for the love of Jesus, Allah, YHWH, Buddha, Jashin, Cthulhu and Odin, DO NOT PUT THE ACTUAL CHATBOX ON TOP T_T

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:12 pm

I'm atheist fuck your gods and let there be a top chat box!
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 pm

No top chat box. Attempting a top chat box will result in me coming down like the hand of the gods.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

No top chat box, went to a forum that had one. It was hell.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm more of an ass man myself.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:01 am

REMOV TOPCHAT remov topchat you are the chatbox idiot you are the chatbox smell. if chatbox come to forum YOU MAY LIVE ON BOToM HAHAhaha shadowcat we never forgeve you. 2013 bes t yeaar of my life good chatbox the best TOP CHATBOX WE WAR YUO
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 pm

avatars cut off because the div containing the avatar image is a static width that certain avatars exceed, thanks to certain complaints in the first launch. It has nothing to do with ImageMagick.

To fix this you only need to adjust the maximum allowed image width for avatars to better conform to the aforementioned value. I never got around to it; just experiment and see what works.

Regarding the host: I remain confused at your fixation with cloud-based services. However, C@C has the same CP as Digital Ocean; that is to say, about as intuitive as a piece of shit on a platter, but whatever works. They have a track record of poor hardware and terrible customer support - you get what you're paying for on that end. Neither should pose much of a problem, as there aren't that many people on here to warrant too much power, and if you have any troubles you could always hit me up anyway. For a one time 35$ cost it might not be too bad, you're still growing up without a stable source of income and a monthly fee can't be helping your wallet much.

As far as chat goes there's a really, really good service that costs 40$ per license but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a forum I'm not really active on anymore.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 pm

I'm mainly fixated on cloud-based services because I live in an RV and, hence, am regularly stuck on some of the worst internet imaginable; therefore, I can't really host anything bigger than an SSH server. (Also, the most powerful spare machine I have is an RPi.) If anyone here has a spare server on a static IP and wants to take over, I'm game. (If I recall correctly, Tiel had one, but no longer has it)

As for the specs of C@C's hardware: This forum is using a few gigs of storage by my vaguely informed estimate, out of 20GB that we're paying for; and uses a few hundred MB of bandwidth per month each way, when we're allotted 1TB total. C@C has half the storage and BW of our current service, but we'll still only be using a fraction of it. As for CPU power, I still need to check, but I think C@C has similar specs there; and both have 512MB of RAM.

You make a good point about C@C's customer support, so in that regard I may have to reconsider. I'll also take a look at the avatars when I get my PC back.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:28 pm

I still had it for like...jeez, well, I only cancelled it last month. Figured it was 24$ going to waste.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I could beg/borrow/steal the hardware to finish off a server easy enough, but the static IP (and, for that matter, the bandwidth) would be no-go and HELL respectively.

So... nada, sorry.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Me, I'm Counting wrote:I could beg/borrow/steal the hardware to finish off a server easy enough, but the static IP (and, for that matter, the bandwidth) would be no-go and HELL respectively.

So... nada, sorry.
who the fuck asked you

2edgylol