Impending possible forum restructuring

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Impending possible forum restructuring

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:30 pm

With the establishment of Proto's server, it has been brought up that such a server would require a forum. This forum is the most probable candidate. With that in mind, the current members of the forum will likely experience a major change due to the influx of a wildly different demographic than currently inhabits the forums. To cope, I put forward this plan to preserve the forum culture while not interfering with the server forum operations.

The plan is as follows
1: Establish a "secret" board for all current major members. This board would be accessible to all members ranked "archmember" or some similar term. This would enable the current community to exist in a relatively unchanged state while not contaminating the new people from the server.

2: Removal or relocation of the RP board. This might seem a bit odd, but the RP board could be considered odd or off-putting to your average Minecraft player, who is an average age 12-14 and IQ 100-120. The RP forum could be relegated to the archmember area.

3: Creation of a new "Server" area. This board would be dedicated to the server, and would likely contain most new members. It could have subsections for ban appeals, server discussion, ect.

4: Promotion of Proto to admin or other increased rank. This is to ensure the continuity of adminship from server to forum, and that any punishment from the server can be carried to the forums and vice versa.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Re: Impending possible forum restructuring

Post by Tell » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

I agree with everything except #4. If we need to punish someone on the forums, simply ask Error to do it. However, as time goes on and we supposedly get more members, we elect a new one to help error.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 pm

The thing is that we ought to do it now. If Proto isn't an admin here, it might raise some funny questions over his power and the relation of this forum to the server. It would be better to just avoid it as a whole.

Also, no elections. If we chose elections, only archmembers can vote; I don't trust the uneducated plebeian masses.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

For all intents and purposes I already am an admin/mod here, I simply don't act on it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:12 pm

ACH0225 wrote:only archmembers can vote
I was implying that.
ACH0225 wrote:If Proto isn't an admin here, it might raise some funny questions over his power and the relation of this forum to the server. It would be better to just avoid it as a whole.
Couldn't we just give him a fancy yellow name and a rank called server admin with no actual power? No offense to you proto, but just my ideals of democratic elections and American freedom and all that

But I like my fancy green name...

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I agree, except for the rp section being in Archmember area. Make it hidden but separate, in the event that we recruit more rpers. Unlikely but possible.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:48 pm

This whole proposal sounds ridiculous. You're overreacting.

I'm not even sure a subforum for just the server is even necessary - server-specific forums don't get as much traffic as you'd think. Giving it its own forum is an understandable concession, though. The rest is not. The restricted access seems based more on feelings of inflated self-importance than common sense.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:21 pm

You think the average Minecraft player has an average to significantly above average IQ?

I agree that this doesn't really seem necessary. I'm skeptical that a server would really result in enough of a new member influx to be a problem. We've been a reasonably populated forum in the past, and I for one would rather see that return.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:22 pm

You could very we'll be right. I am basing these projections off of the Monorisu server, which is a similar concept to our server.

http://monorisu.enjin.com/forum

If you take a cursory glance, they have roughly 500 threads created in total. Additionally, they have around 350 members, of which maybe 70-80 have ever made a post(guesstimate there), and of whom about 30-35 have made regular contributions.

You could be entirely correct; this plan could be radically overreacting. However, our server could easily become more popular than Monorisu, and this plan would have paid off. Even if it does prove to have been an overreaction, it's not like we can't undo it.

At the least, the server deserves a subforum under Gaming

@LJS I am optimistic. Also, seeing as this is a modded server, the dumbest are filtered out
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:36 pm

lol enjinn forum

I'm only in favor of creating a new index-level forum for the server. Everything else isn't really necessary.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:17 am

cannonfodder wrote:lol enjinn forum

I'm only in favor of creating a new index-level forum for the server. Everything else isn't really necessary.
Got my support. Also from my experience those secret high members only boards are never used in forums (was the case in every single forum I was in)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 am

I remember that Area 51 on the old forum didn't see a single post for well over a year before we switched forums.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:I remember that Area 51 on the old forum didn't see a single post for well over a year before we switched forums.
The only thing we used it for was arguments and planning April Fools day.

I agree with Tiel.
Look, if the server becomes so popular that things start becoming an issue, we can review the situation then. But until such time as we feel that we have no alternative, we should nothing more then create a new sub-forum for the server and leave everything else open and accessible. Creating an exclusive zone like that purely to protect yourself from "plebeians" would be considered snobbery by some, myself included (creating an exclusive zone for the sake of moderation and management is different, and Area 51 was a bad example).
That being said, I would make the RP section read-only and people have to have a certain post-count and submit an application before being allowed to post- to prevent nonsense and trolling.

I would implore you to remember the state that some of you were in when you first came here. Couldn't write, couldn't read, with no original ideas and..... I'm being too harsh. I just mean to say, we all started from somewhere. We were all immature once (to varying degrees). I still use my Twelveie email ( mebread )- how could I have ever thought that wise?

Anyway, back to the topic of name-colours; please can I have a name colour? Not to be arrogant or demanding or anything, but if it wasn't for me, none of you would be here (I've wanted to say that all my life...). No? Okay....
This is a signature.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Anyway, back to the topic of name-colours; please can I have a name colour? Not to be arrogant or demanding or anything, but if it wasn't for me, none of you would be here (I've wanted to say that all my life...). No? Okay....
How about pink or fuchsia, something that fits your avatar? : )

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:03 am

I vote ArchMembers group gets hot pink usernames.

'Cause it's guddamn fabulous.