Chatboggs

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth
Chatboggs

Post by Saravanth » Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 pm

The chat has broken. Which isn't very bad as it really did suck.

Still, having a chat wouldn't be bad, so why can't we just use the old chat thingies we used to have at the old-old or old-new forums, the ones sitting there below the section list?
They weren't too perfect either, but usable at least, which is all that's needed. Right?

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: Chatboggs

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Basically chat is buttbuddies with Innodb, which we kicked out, and now he's flipping out. I can just remove the chat from the index page if you want, but it's not something I'd have the time or desire to set up a replacement for anytime soon.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Yep. Looks like InnoDB goofed it up. I might be able to set up a small IRC server and add a web-based client.

EDIT: Ignore the first part, I reiterated what Tiel said by accident. Stupid me.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 pm

And preferably right on the first page. But you're right, no need to hurry at all. It's not that improtant, just wanted to mention it.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

I guess we can use the chat on the old forum until this one is fixed?
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Better use skype over that one, I dunno why you hate skype so much if anyone hangs out anywhere in that freaking place it is there and as of recently TS during Sunday eve.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Replace the chat with a link to the old forum chat.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 pm

I didn't know people actually used the chat. You can't tell who's chatting from the front page so I never checked.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 am

catsonmeth wrote:I didn't know people actually used the chat. You can't tell who's chatting from the front page so I never checked.
And that's the joke.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Naw. If you really want to use it you're free to just go visit the old forum.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 pm

That still requires navigating to another page without even knowing if there is anyone to talk to. If there's any way to have the chat on the main page, it would be nice to have. If you build it, they will come.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Fri May 16, 2014 2:21 pm

That is something I do not know how to do. As far as I'm concerned, that HTML/CSS shit is dark voodoo magicry.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Tau wrote:That is something I do not know how to do. As far as I'm concerned, that HTML/CSS shit is dark voodoo magicry.
Really? I thought it was pretty easy when I made an attempt at learning it, just complicated.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri May 16, 2014 10:02 pm

It isn't that hard once you get the swing of it. I've got only a semester of web design under my belt and the few months of experience garnered in making this forum, but that's enough for me to look at a page's source and understand exactly what's going on. Unfortunately I've spent at least ten cumulative hours of my life trying to make this chat work the way I want it to on three separate occasions and every time it crashes the forum. I don't know why because the failure to connect gives me absolutely 0 feedback, so for the time being it's been better to just have it on another page.

I can always just embed it like the Lexicon, but that's something that's profoundly sloppy and probably not suited to something as dynamic as a chatbox.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri May 16, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm taking a class on webpage design next year. It'll probably be worthless or unneeded by then, but it's there.
— David Langford
Spoiler: