Rule against impersonation

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.

Should the suggested rule be implemented?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 14

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Rule against impersonation

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 pm

There is only one owl named ACH0225 here, and he is I.

Also, I am him.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 pm

ACH0225 wrote:There is only one owl named ACH0225 here, and he is I.

Also, I am him.
You know, that brings up another point I really should have thought to make. There's no way for someone to completely assume the title of another unless they've elected to abandon it. I had to give up Tiel for LJS to even think about nabbing it, otherwise you have to add something on. For instance, even in my current username there's a rather conspicuous dot beneath the first 'I', and nothing can really circumvent this because the forum will reject anything it can't differentiate in the SQL database. So again, any confusion is purely on the end-user's shoulders, especially given that (as proto pointed out) no one does this purely to "troll"...hyperlite did it once to me when I got us both demoted on Avenger's server and got in trouble, but aside from that I can't recall an instance of a person changing their name to another's and attempting to imitate them without prior consent. We all basically act the same in these adopted personas, which should really be a clue along with the other factors I mentioned as to who's really who.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Ịvan2006­­­­­­ wrote:And I'll say this one more time because you still don't seem to get it - you have no authority within the rules that give you your powers to make a declaration like that even if you weren't trying to hide beneath a veneer of pleasantry.
While I do agree with your point here, there is a precedent for that in the form of the unofficial signature rules. We've never had any formal rules against massive signatures, but whenever someone's was particularly ridiculous I'd politely ask them to change it. They were always happy to so there was never a problem with it. This is more or less the same thing, but now there's a problem. I don't think Error can possibly be allowed to actually issue warning points over something like this, but he does have the power to ask.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 pm

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just that, a polite request, but I think the PM I posted compounded with his own threatening posts on the matter makes it pretty clear this is just a demand masked as such.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Vilating forum rules - Trolling. User warned.
Glad to know our sole mod is adept at not only misusing his powers but spelling as well.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Pardon me for that. The typo wasn't intentional.

And you feel I'm abusing my powers, then? By all means, start an appeals thread for that. I've handed out a grand total of one warning point so far, and I do my best not to go nuts. I think I've done a reasonable job, but do one thing the community dislikes, and I'm a bad moderator, then?

Interesting.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:45 pm

You're a bad moderator in my book if the one thing you have done is *. Nothing good to balance it out with.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Then what exactly am I supposed to do, mate?

So I lock threads that go off topic or heat into arguments, I get * at for it. I tone it down. Fair enough.

I do my best to prevent things from escalating to full-bown fights. I get * at for it. I tone it down. Really, guys?

A couple of forum members are getting confused by the ever-changing usernames. I ask people to stop. I get * at. FFS.

...so unless everyone stops complaining about the fact that there are rules, all anyone can see me as is a bad moderator. So really, Tiel, .I'd appreciate suggestions here.

You want to de-mod me? If a vote says yes, fine. Provided you give the job to somebody with half a brain. But really, I'm just trying to keep things civil and flowing smoothly, and all I get is complaints. And frankly? You lot could just, you know, stay within the rules and try not to circumvent them and stuff, and things would probably go a lot better for all involved.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:So really, Tiel, .I'd appreciate suggestions here.
You can start by, oh, I dunno, maybe not issuing warning points for rules that aren't even applicable? That seems like a good base. We can work our way up from there.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Sarcasm. An improvement, at least.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 pm

I can tell you how much of a pretentious asshole I think you're being right now, if you'd like. I haven't played that card yet.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

By all means. Go ahead and vent.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Chairman Tiel wrote:
Icelandic Perehelion wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Vilating forum rules - Trolling. User warned.
Glad to know our sole mod is adept at not only misusing his powers but spelling as well.
Urr. If he gave you a point, yeah, that was bad.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:By all means. Go ahead and vent.
If you think I'm angry right now... xD

Naw, I'm pretty sure at this point this thing isn't getting passed unless we miraculously gain a few members over the course of the next few days that immediately vote here (*cough*), so my concerns there are alleviated. Right now I'm just waiting for you to slip up again.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Then what exactly am I supposed to do, mate?
OK. I thought this was pretty clear, but you're supposed to enforce the forum rules. If that's not what's happening, you're doing a bad job. We don't have much rule-breaking here (because somehow the rules got changed and the stuff that people do a lot isn't against the rules anymore, but that's a different issue), so you haven't had to give out any points. That's OK; the points system didn't work as well as I hoped it would, and it not being used isn't the worst thing that could happen. You cannot, however, use the moderation system we've set up to enforce things that aren't in the rules. Asking Tiel *as a member* to change his name is the right of anyone on the forum. Asking Tiel *as a moderator* to change his name is questionable, but probably acceptable. *Telling* Tiel as a moderator to change his name is wrong, and giving him a point when he did not do so is @#$%. I don't think anyone here is calling for your replacement, but you definitely overstepped your authority, at least as I define it. The past has shown that I have a much more specific idea of what's proper where forum moderation is concerned than most people here.