Rule against impersonation

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.

Should the suggested rule be implemented?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 14

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Re: Rule against impersonation

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 pm

If only I knew of a way to name people with a nickname that te forum would save permanently over them....
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I really don't see why you feel the need to use somebody else's username.

And if you prefer, I can make that thing an executive order, unless Tau overrules it.
Error attempting to assume direct control? Interesting..
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 pm

This debate is foolish, everyone is just hyperlite anyway.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Tiel: I'm attempting to avoid me having to apply the rules to you.

Specifically, the no-trolling one.

Pick: warning point, or username change?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm

The funny thing is, if this thread hadn't been made, everyone would likely be with their usual usernames by now.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Hyperlite. wrote:The funny thing is, if this thread hadn't been made, everyone would likely be with their usual usernames by now.
And despite the difference in colour, I'd appreciate if you would change your name back too, Proto.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm

A username change has never, and does not, constitute 'trolling', and even so I'd invite you to look at the rules you're attempting to enforce:
2. Spam and trolling to an extent that disrupts normal forum activities shall be disallowed.
Any user changing their name to reflect that of another member is not an act that disrupts normal forum activity of posting topics and replying with personal thoughts and opinions. Any irritation or perceived hampering is purely subjective, as evidenced clearly enough by the poll.

We can then look at another rule,
Moderators also have no power outside those laid out in these rules.
Ergo, you have no right to bestow a warning point in this instance. I'm not about to change my name, at any rate.

I'd also like to point out that you are not acting as a moderator should at present, Error. This is not just a matter of rules - you have never attempted to enforce them as rigidly as you are now. When it comes to moderation, one does not simply play the doormat one day and a tiger whenever it suits their agenda. You are acting in accordance with your personal opinion on the situation and wrongfully applying the weight of your position behind that stance.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 pm

It confuses me greatly, I've honestly given up figuring out who you people are and just attach names to avatar pictures, at least until people change them.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm

I sincerely doubt I am confusing anyone here.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:10 pm

@Tiel: Kob's been confused by this stuff already, and it's possible others might be.

Also, you being contrary for the sake of being contrary is getting, if you'll pardon the language, fucking annoying.

There's one reason, as Ivan said, to mimic another person's username: trolling. Thus, it falls under that rule. So I'll ask one more time. Please do not use other people's commonly-recognized usernames.

@Proto: I can't exactly be selective about who I apply rules to, hm?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Hyperlite. wrote:I sincerely doubt I am confusing anyone here.
Except when try see your post name and click on it to see what 'Hyperlite' posted and did prototype instead.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Happy now?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote: Also, you being contrary for the sake of being contrary is getting, if you'll pardon the language, fucking annoying.
Welcome to the fucking job. If you can't take the heat, get out of the freaking fire.
Icelandic Perehelion wrote: There's one reason, as Ivan said, to mimic another person's username: trolling.
I think that's bullshit, for one. If I were to change my name to Last_Jedi_Standing right now, am I trolling him? No, we're just poking fun at one another. Secondly, note that the rules themselves do not explicitly forbid trolling - only that which disrupts normal forum activities. I've yet to see a convincing reason that me changing my name to LJS or Prototype to Hyperlite infringes on anyone's ability to post. Even if our names change there are almost always other identifiers to work with, such as avatars or signatures. If someone is unwilling to consider such things when looking at posts I don't think their opinion should be of much consequence in the first place.

You also affirm my suspicion that you are doing this more out of your own opinion on the matter than impartial enforcement of the rules you were given your authority to uphold.
Icelandic Perehelion wrote: Thus, it falls under that rule.
Again - it never did before on the old forum, and the rules on trolling there were much more strict.
Icelandic Perehelion wrote: So I'll ask one more time. Please do not use other people's commonly-recognized usernames.
And I'll say this one more time because you still don't seem to get it - you have no authority within the rules that give you your powers to make a declaration like that even if you weren't trying to hide it beneath a veneer of pleasantry.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm about the only person here who'd use it for genuine trolling, I'm also about the only person unable to use it.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:23 pm

NotHyperlite wrote:Happy now?
Yes, thank you.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler: