Rule against impersonation

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.

Should the suggested rule be implemented?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 14

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Rule against impersonation

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 am

I suggest the following rule: No member may change one's username in order to resemble and/or impersonate another user.

This rule would exist to protect other members from the major confusion generated by no one knowing who they are talking to.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: Rule against impersonation

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 am

lololololo
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:04 am

Stop being China and say something productive.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 am

Yes please.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 am

Agreed...

With the honourable chairman that is.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am

okay, so we have Proto and China with the opinion "lololololo" and me and Tell who want this rule implemented so far.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 am

I don't think that's useful. There aren't anywhere near enough people here for that to really be a problem.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 am

Ehe yeah ... Cmon let's face it its a clear problem, its fine to change names but you overuse it and abuse it, its a question of time before it all gets out of hand.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 am

Iv121 wrote:Ehe yeah ... Cmon let's face it its a clear problem, its fine to change names but you overuse it and abuse it, its a question of time before it all gets out of hand.
Hmm. No, let's not. There are, what, a dozen of us? And some of those can be discounted, because Tau is yellow and Proto is green, so they can't be mistaken for anyone else, and some others (ACH) don't participate. The most anyone would ever have to keep track of is maybe half a dozen, and it's so easy to look at previous posts to see who's who if you somehow forget. Making it against the rules to... what? Change your name? Change your name to a name someone else has used at some point in the past? I don't even know... is silly.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 am

I'd say yes, as some of our members can't get online often enough to tell who's who.

I'll ask politely now for LJS to un-Tielify himself. While Tiel isn't using that username, it's what everybody refers to him as, and frankly, there's precisely zero point to impersonating someone.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I'll ask politely now for LJS to un-Tielify himself. While Tiel isn't using that username, it's what everybody refers to him as, and frankly, there's precisely zero point to impersonating someone.
As opposed to asking impolitely later? Direct request from a moderator and all that, so I'll do it, but you can't actually make me. I protest this treatment in the strongest terms.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 am

I'm asking you not to use the username that another forum member is known by, I feel that's not unreasonable.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am

^^^, you are free to change your name but don't overuse and abuse it, that means that changing names too much is not good either, not only for us but also for you, it just shows how the most significant part of your presence here is insignificant to you - your name. That is how everyone knows you, how you act, post, your existence on the internet, to change a name is to reset your existence, after all the only way you are known throughout the internet is just that - your name, nothing else. OFC you gonna say now something like even if Tiel is now LJS or something he is still Tiel, and then I will point at something you just wrote there: "he is still tiel <== <==", try to write the same without this word, "he is still who he is / the same person / whatever" , what is he / the same person / whatever ?

Its fine to change a name for lols or if you don't like your current name and so on but don't change it once a week ! Even once a month is too much. You will either end up without a name or the public will just choose a name for you, like CMA was for example, no matter what name he chose for himself his name was not in his hands anymore, the community decided it for him, so goes for Error, Tiel, all of you name hoppers, however if I were to decide to change my name and declare that from now on I go by a new name you will call me by that name because I take it seriously and consequently so do you. Other examples would be CvN => Luna or solar.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Iv121 wrote:That is how everyone knows you, how you act, post, your existence on the internet, to change a name is to reset your existence, after all the only way you are known throughout the internet is just that - your name, nothing else.
That would stand if Last_Jedi_Standing was my name everywhere on the Internet. It's not. It's not even the name I use most frequently. I haven't named an account LJS in years. If I changed my name to Tsavong Lah or TraatAdmiral it would arguably be more accurate than when it's LJS. That's why as far as the forum is concerned I'm not LJS or Tsavong or anyone: I'm member number 68. You're member number 89. Only that is set in stone. Everything else can be changed whenever and however you desire. "He is still Tiel" is wrong. The correct answer is "He has always been member 62". All else is an illusion.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm not sure what the issue is here but LJS has one sexy birdie as his avatar for the moment so I'm inclined to agree with him.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]