Account creation is broken

Concerning changes to the rules, styling, etc. As this is a new forum, feedback is appreciated.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Account creation is broken

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

So, we haven't been getting any new members...

I tried to make a new account to see if something was wrong. Sure enough, that was well over an hour ago and I still haven't gotten an unlock email: I cannot activate my new account. It's totally useless. This has probably been this way since January, and it's why we haven't been getting new people.

However, there's a complication. The 'Newest Member' thing at the bottom of the forum has said 'hunkeywolf' for months. The actual Members page, though, says that several people have joined since then, they just haven't made it onto the Newest Member thing. The obvious suggestion is that the Members page tracks accounts created and Newest Member only registers accounts activated, but now my Test Account is the Newest Member, even though it hasn't been activated and the other ones like it did not. I have no idea why.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Re: Account creation is broken

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm

According to Tau, it's haunted and refuses to send emails.

TAU. FIX DIS. PLEES.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Tiel, I'll love you forever if you go in and try to fix it. Lord knows I've tried.

PM me and ask for sysop privileges.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Tau wrote:Tiel, I'll love you forever if you go in and try to fix it. Lord knows I've tried.

PM me and ask for sysop privileges.
I could try to poke at it. I have no idea what you're talking about, what the problem is, or how to fix it, but I was the admin before. Admittedly, I quit because I couldn't do anything, but these things happen.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:25 am

I've whined about this so many times in the past (including in the A Plan. topic), how have you not possibly known about it until now :?

The reason hunky and others have been activated is because Tau had it set up for him to do it manually for a while.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:46 am

The only idea I have after looking at the ACP is that both of the forum email addresses are set to place@hold.er. Those might need to be actual things. Other than that, could we set it so it doesn't require email authentication? I understand why that's an important thing, but not having it at all might still be better than registration not working. If we have problems, we could turn it on again.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:14 am

Mistake Not... wrote:The only idea I have after looking at the ACP is that both of the forum email addresses are set to place@hold.er. Those might need to be actual things.
That's probably pretty important. Not trying to be snarky, I have less knowledge on this than you do, but it sounds like it means something.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 am

CMA wrote:
Mistake Not... wrote:The only idea I have after looking at the ACP is that both of the forum email addresses are set to place@hold.er. Those might need to be actual things.
That's probably pretty important. Not trying to be snarky, I have less knowledge on this than you do, but it sounds like it means something.
Fill the place@hold.er with something better.
The forum can't send emails if it doesn't have an adress to send emails from.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:09 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
CMA wrote:
Fill the place@hold.er with something better.
The forum can't send emails if it doesn't have an adress to send emails from.
Wouldn't we need to set up a mail server for that as well? Is there one already set up?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:18 am

CMA wrote: Wouldn't we need to set up a mail server for that as well? Is there one already set up?
A decent host should be able to run a mail server if it is able to utilize phpbb and its requirements, so that SHOULD not be a problem.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:22 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
CMA wrote: Wouldn't we need to set up a mail server for that as well? Is there one already set up?
A decent host should be able to run a mail server if it is able to utilize phpbb and its requirements, so that SHOULD not be a problem.
Yeah, but how hard is it to set one up manually? Just throwing things out here, don't know much about networking.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am

CMA wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Yeah, but how hard is it to set one up manually? Just throwing things out here, don't know much about networking.
What I just described is the most manual way any sane person would ever set up a mail server. Ever.
Unless you are in some kind of programming school and have a really devious teacher.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
CMA wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote: A decent host should be able to run a mail server if it is able to utilize phpbb and its requirements, so that SHOULD not be a problem.
What I just described is the most manual way any sane person would ever set up a mail server. Ever.
Unless you are in some kind of programming school and have a really devious teacher.
Oh, it's that easy then.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

One could easily set up a mailserver at home with some simple programs, but we need one that's online 24/7, so that's not really an option, unless you happen to have a special device that could support that.
And you can't put a mailserver into php and html either.
However, since our host seems capable of running SQL, I highly suspect it of being able to run a mailserver as well.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:17 pm

...did you seriously give LJS admin rights when he revoked them last time on the basis he didn't know anything about the CP? Didn't know things were that desperate o-O

I'd help, but I know people here that'd throw a fit if I touched the ACP. I will say that you are going about things the wrong way, though. A mailserver is not required.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]