Goodbye

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran
Goodbye

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 am

Please be advised that this represents a year's worth of mixed emotions, and may seem discontinuous.

It seems to me that this forum has dissolved into total anarchy, no useful progress has been made for the past 6 months, and no-one can seem to effectively pull ideas together (Joykler, sorry to say, but you're not working). Any attempts I have made in the past to pull it together have resulted only in you guys complaining about how controlling I'm being.

This is really my own fault, and it's been a long time coming. I always have wild dreams and visions but never have the patience or discipline to reach them. However, Futurecraft represents the longest project I've stuck with of my own accord, and I am proud of the amount of attention it has gathered. Unfortunately, it was an unobtainable goal in my hands, and always was. I knew this, but chose to ignore it, now I must pay the price. It is clear to me that the project is dying, and I'm hoping that me leaving will serve as a wake up call, either to reform or reboot this project.

Fr0stbyte, you are much more capable of handling this project than I ever was, and if you believe Futurecraft can be accomplished, then I know you will make it happen. I look forward to seeing if you continue with it, and I know you will do what is best. Get more talent involved, people who can commit to this project. Find ways for them to help. I'd hate to see this project die, it's represented a large section of my life.

Anyway, it's been fun and, at times, challenging. I would like to think of some of you as my friends, and I can't help but feel that I have let you all down. I have done my part in this; let's see what you can do without me.

Goodbye, Futurecraft, you're out of my hands.

If any of you wish to remain in contact, then find me on Planet Minecraft of the Minecraft Forums. I'll still be building my ships; for the next while in any case.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Goodbye

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:46 am

Please notice that futurecraft is mroe than a mod, its a community and it's really an overstatment it's in chaos. If you step down from development you are still aprt of the community and I do want you to continue and be here to at least watch the progress of the work you begun. If you need help with designing I can help. It's really not as bad as it looks. I do know that what you tried to achieve was not possible and so I always prepared a plan for something that is possible to achieve.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:29 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:. It is clear to me that the project is dying.
That just made me the most miserable person on earth. I found the forums looking for an updated version of the zepplin mod, when I found it wasn't released I assumed it was near completion, (I never really read the dev section on the first forums) After I realised it wasn't, I would normally have quit the forums. But weirdly, I actually care about the mod; and would be sad to see it die. In any case, even if you don't want to lead the mod, I think you leaving the forums would have the same effect as killing off all politicians; it would just add to the chaos. I may be the only one who thinks this, but futurecraft without Mackeroth would be a bit...well...weird.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am

Again what chaos are you talking about ? I see no chaos. No spam or people randomly doing whatever they want. Do you claim I sleep on my job ? :tongue:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 am

Iv121 wrote:Again what chaos are you talking about ? I see no chaos. No spam or people randomly doing whatever they want. You claim I sleep on my job ? :tongue:
No, i think mackeroth was talking about the incomprehensible mass of topics in the dev section, but In theory that could probably be solved in 10 mins by each dev having 1 development log with a master questions/suggestions thread and a clear idea of what needs doing, but in practice that might be harder to implement.

Edit________
Actually, i think the reason joykler isn't working is because (unless I am wrong) he was appointed to document the good ideas in the notes section, not organise the devs. Maybe if he documents the better ideas from a master suggestion topic and puts them in a thread where devs can volunteer to code/texture them, all threads in the dev section are sorted through by a dev king or something, and the no longer relevant ones are removed and the rest are moved to a reference topic. The devs can then have one thread each where they post their dev stuff. although this post makes little sense; if anyone actually understands it would at least be a better system than what we have at the moment.
Last edited by MrTargareyan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:57 am

not at all. Organizing the development can be easier than ever. Personally I think the main limit we'll face will be coders but that is only at stage 2 when the engine works is complete. We do need to take care of many things but it's not currently important. What is important is that members won't leave us. It is really a question of do you truly believe in yourself... You have gotten much further than many other modders. Without even releasing the mod and getting spammed by crash reports you've got more than 100 pages. You do have the basis to make this mod successful. The engine work could be the most troubling part in this thing but Frost seems to get the hang of it and so it is not just a far dream anymore.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:43 am

Dammit, ok people, the doc leaving does NOT mean this has to die, I am still maintaining work on my plan to attract extra hands, and recent events have made me more confident that we can attract more attention, and I am rather annoyed that I made it a stealth pilot rather than a pilot.

However, I do agree, we seriously need to re-organise the devs, we need dedicated dev logs, for what we are working on for the mod, in this instance my pack would not count, so I need to find something useful I can do parallel to my pack.
The mod is not dead, but I want to prevent any chances of it's death, with or without the doc.

We also need to work out who is doing what, Joyklers notes thing isn't working, in fact I fear it is just making matters worse, we need to rethink our goals from the ground up, while Fr0st works on Copernicus, us other devs need to work out what we can do independent of Copernicus, like Keon's droppod project, even if it means I have to take another crash course in java.

Mack, If you leave I will take it upon myself to see that this does not die, we need to call an emergency dev meeting.

EDIT: I have decided that I need to speed up my work on my advertising scheme, I'll have to speak to Manus to see if he will allow me to do this on his site, for there are quite a few skilled coders who frequent that site, and we need to get people trawling the minecraft forums for anyone who might be able to help us, perhaps it is time to do an updated version of the OP.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 pm

We need a guy who has nothing to do all day but eat, sleep, and code. (Like fr0st was in the golden days before he got a "job".) Unfortunately those people are hard to find because this project could be a full time job without pay. So, we need to find a dude that lives with his parents, is at least 20, and has infinite time on his hands.

Oh and he has to have a degree in computer science :)
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

now im really getting pist off

you are all saying my notes forum isnt working

but no dev actually takes the time to do what i ask

everyone just assumes it doesnt work because nothing is happening
while in the meantime im working my assof to get mackaroth responding

when that didnt work i send tons of messages to frost and tiel

but they also wouldnt respond
and the people who have no idea of coding are all responding
that they think they should add more to the ideas

i tried to get every modder his own list of things to do
but no-one answered me
yes frost gaive me the job to document all good ideas
but i sayd that if i would do this
i would also try to organize the modders

its impossible to make development loggs for everyone if they dont even tell me what they are working an
if we would have a list with ideas that are possible to do then modders can choose what they are best at
and get to work

but no people just complain it isnt working

if you can do it better say so

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Well I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands over summer, but I can't really code, fortunately I possess the ability to learn things incredible quickly, if I can find the appropriate resources, I may be able to properly teach myself how to code (I understand most programmers are partially self taught) though don't expect another Fr0st. I mean if I can learn quantum physics, Spanish and French, I can learn java right?

And joykler, you were organising ideas, you never sent me any lists or anything.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

are you telling me you really dont know where the list is

its on the first post of the notes topic in the notes subforum

in a spoiler

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 pm

I know several people who were game designers 10 years ago, and they know people who are still in the games industry. I know one of them who was going to point me towards some good tutorials for java, if I can actually get to any usefull level of coding, I would be willing to help. (it a big if; even if I do have 2 weeks now and six weeks in the summer, my lack of ability to understand computer language is a bit of a problem)

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Hey wanna study together ? I'll just read what you got there and if it's algorithms you have problems is I can help a bit ...

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Iv121 wrote:Hey wanna study together ? I'll just read what you got there and if it's algorithms you have problems is I can help a bit ...
Sure, if you want to that would be great :) Unfortunatly you are most likely 2000000 levels above me at this sort of thing. My entire programming knowledge comes a weeks stint where I basically watched non stop YouTube tutorials, the problem I had was that although it taught me to code basic things like "hello world" it never gave me an understanding of how the java language works; so I never really managed to do anything. If computer language is anything like a real one, I should find it significantly easier given even a basic understanding of java. As I said, even when I have 8 weeks worth of free time on my hands in a bit, getting to a useful level would be hard :D

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

See it's similar to real languages in that you get a set of words to say your idea, your problem is that you don't know what to say :) .