is it me

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
is it me

Post by joykler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

i dont know maybe itsw me

but i think we are again going nowhere

mack has us going circels
im fine with the new dev but whats happening now is that mack doesnt really tells wich ideas are in or out
so we dont get any further

i gave him a summary of the computer idea but he did nothing with it because "its too buisy on the dev forum"
i made actual progesss with this and he just grinds it to a halt

the same thing happened with my notes
i tried to get things started but because mack didnt answer my countless pms and posts nothing could happen there

if people dont agree with me just say so
also the new rules on the dev thread are good but why suddenly also on the vesselarchitecture and discussion thread ?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: is it me

Post by Iv121 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Well I said where we need to go to go somewhere, focus on the fighters so we can begin to work on things, because what is already done cannot be argued about over and over again ...

Finally there is a need in a definite way to accept or deny ideas. You can either put a vote couse without community there is no mod or you can either put the main devs in charge (couse without them there won't be a mod either) . Yea both are opposites of each other but you need to choose one and settle with it.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 pm

A big part of it is that is is very difficult to understand what you are saying most of the time. I usually have to read your posts several times to get an idea of what you are talking about.

Your notes section seemed more designed to end discussions rather than make them more productive, and we've talked about that on more than one occasion. As long as there are prerequisites to deal with first, continuous discussion isn't holding up the project. If anything is to blame for that, it is me taking so long with the engine work.

As far as the computer post, we've been debating how it would work since the days when Danice was active on the Forummotion board. What you presented is fine, but is nothing we haven't seen before, and it is most definitely not complete enough to be directly implementable. We'll have to resolve tons more detail before we can end the discussion, including parts about other game elements which haven't been decided on, either.

With any other mod, you could start with some simple blocks and build up your content over time, but we wanted to do something more ambitious, and with that comes a hell of a lot more planning, and none of us have a particularly strong vision for how it should all work. That's why we keep talking about it.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm

but the frame work could be accepted or denied

2 years of discussion isnt that enough
this wil keep looping

that my idea is done already isnt my problem i said that someone needs to collect all ideas but
nooooo mack wanted to do everything all over

your engine needs to be done yes i get that
but in that time other things can be made
but for sofar we dont even have a very basic framework to add things to

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Joykler, you are rather new here, the threads you collected, we have already seen, we were part of those discussions, and they were taken into account (the good ideas) a long time ago, collecting them into a notes section didn't really do anything.

And Mack decided to start all over, because we were getting too preoccupied with ideas that were either not necessary, or impossible, plus the new stuff Mack layer down wasn't new, it was pretty much the original ideas, just revamped a little.

Joykler, if you want to set up something to help, we need a recruitment system to find more devs, so we can get more of this non-Copernicus framework done, because at the moment, only two devs know how to code java at a good enough level, now I have been planning something like this for a long time, you should know that, and I've just been working on the thing that'll catch people's eyes, but as you have probably seen, I don't have a very good way with words and convincing arguments, so I'll need help on that end.

Also has anyone got tabs one Danice and Ectrimble? And are they likely to ever come back, and does anyone have the remnants of their work (I believe Danice had stuff on inter server stuff and was it Ectrimble who got ships working?)

Also there was a Dev only future craft alpha right? So we did have something previously (Note: I didn't have this alpha, I wasn't a Dev then)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Ectrimble is not coming back. I have no idea what Danice is up to, but I think he is in college now, so this might not be the best use of his time. There was no Futurecraft Alpha, but there were a couple test builds of old experimental concepts, but those were mostly abandoned due to changes in either Minecraft's architecture or the mod's, or simply because we've since learned better ways to do things. Most of the code is lost or unusable, but that is okay because we learned a lot from it. And by we I mean I because everybody else is missing.

Also, I'm not terribly gung ho about recruiting more developers. We've had a terrible retention rate. The experienced ones never have enough free time to stick around, and the inexperienced ones are unable to work unsupervised. Working out the architecture for the mod before getting developers to actually make it will go a long way towards retaining the talent (and no, joykler, that is not the same as ending the discussion because we haven't even begun discussing the gritty details. What we have right now is completely insufficient to make this mod.)

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Dang, I thought the emergency complacency action was a secret alpha, oh well.
And I think I knew about Ectrimble.

And Fr0stbyte I see what you mean about not wanting to get more devs, but only you and Keon know java, and if something happens to you, then this whole thing just dies, what we need is a set of things that we need to to, if we get someone who wants to be a coder, we give them a task (with a set of requirements and some pointers), if they do it well, then that's good, we give them something else to do, if they fail, then we probably shouldn't use them, to do such a system, we need to sort out exactly what needs to be done.

I know that there aren't that many who can actually help, but there has to be some people who can really help, and we can't find them if we don't look, but I agree that we need to get our goals straight before we do this.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm

wait sorry you lost me now

if this is the way things are i think we are working on one large necro

proto yo say it would die but maybe it already did ,,,,

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 pm

If hasn't died, all that's happened is a rather large period of inactivity but we haven't properly started the mod yet, but once we work out exactly what we need to do and how, we can start getting devs to do stuff, and getting more devs in, but we need to know exactly what we are going to do.

Also what we are trying to do here is not only very ambitious, but rather delicate, it does take planning, though we have kind of just say here twiddling our thumbs for a bit too long.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Prototype wrote:Dang, I thought the emergency complacency action was a secret alpha, oh well.
That was Cascaid. He actually had flying ships. The thing in the picture was a ship he was flying in third person; the craters on the ground were made by it shooting. We don't have any of his code.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm

That was an extension of some test code I left in Area 51, but he added pitch and cannons. It's not a major loss.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am

Tldr he added cannons (From what I can tell, lit tnt) and pitch/yaw/roll but not in quaternion form.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:42 am

We could do pitch and roll before that, but I couldn't work out how to handle the player climbing stairs on an incline, so my build only allowed level flight. There's no telling if Cascaid had modified the collision method at that point, but I am guessing probably not. In any case, we have a much better collision algorithm now, so it's a non-issue.

The cannons were all him, though.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:We could do pitch and roll before that, but I couldn't work out how to handle the player climbing stairs on an incline, so my build only allowed level flight. There's no telling if Cascaid had modified the collision method at that point, but I am guessing probably not. In any case, we have a much better collision algorithm now, so it's a non-issue.

The cannons were all him, though.
If ships are now individual mini-worlds with their own gravity/block grid, then wouldn't the stair issue become irrelevant, as the player would always remain perpendicular to the deck of the ship?
This is a signature.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:37 am

Currently that's the plan. We can hand wave conflicting orientation as being always-on artificial gravity. However, depending on how gravity at the corners of planets develops, we might end up with a framework for handling arbitrary angular forces. For now, though, nothing has been planned regarding that. Starting out, every frame of reference will have an internally consistent gravity field.

That's all I am going to say on the matter in this thread. We need to get out of the habit of starting new topics halfway through unrelated threads.