Faction-based technology

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Faction-based technology

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 pm

1.)Different kinds of players: Well, that´s what we got our galaxies for. PvP will be for PvP-guys, PvE is for the non-PvP-guys and Creative is for... well, Creative, if you just wanna have the experience of building and flying a spaceship ASAP.
Adventure mode will propably be mostly for Singleplayer, but you gotta ask some dev about that.

2.)Too much content: As far as I know, FC is planned to be constructed in a way that you basically get shown what to do by the game itself through the research-system. Playing after the example of a Let´s play would not be very helpful as ore generation will propably be handled with a certain degree of randomness and research would take quite a while, making everyone different. Also, the spaceship-system will propably force you to use most parts of the mod anyway, since you will need a lot of different things even for a peaceful ship (Core, Power, Engines, Piloting, Communications, ...)

So, basically, your fears are reasonless. Go back to sleep.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:1.)Different kinds of players: Well, that´s what we got our galaxies for. PvP will be for PvP-guys, PvE is for the non-PvP-guys and Creative is for... well, Creative, if you just wanna have the experience of building and flying a spaceship ASAP.
Adventure mode will propably be mostly for Singleplayer, but you gotta ask some dev about that.

2.)Too much content: As far as I know, FC is planned to be constructed in a way that you basically get shown what to do by the game itself through the research-system. Playing after the example of a Let´s play would not be very helpful as ore generation will propably be handled with a certain degree of randomness and research would take quite a while, making everyone different. Also, the spaceship-system will propably force you to use most parts of the mod anyway, since you will need a lot of different things even for a peaceful ship (Core, Power, Engines, Piloting, Communications, ...)

I could see how Adventure could work for multi-server. It would be like a mix of PVE and PVP with only predesigned ships and a more advanced NPCs, like that supervillain. More like an MMORPG.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:1.)Different kinds of players: Well, that´s what we got our galaxies for. PvP will be for PvP-guys, PvE is for the non-PvP-guys and Creative is for... well, Creative, if you just wanna have the experience of building and flying a spaceship ASAP.

I don't think you understood the idea Bsb23 was expressing Ivan. We all know vanilla survival quickly gets boring, one of the reasons I found little old Mackeroth's first post about futurecraft little under 1 year and a 1/2 ago, is because I was bored out of my mind with my survival game at the time. Having these random trait-based biomes is a intreating, out-side of the box, way of implementing that new biome system we have wanted. Even if it means a little extra work for a texture artists.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 pm

cats: Why may ask is randomization not feasible? Coding wise? Or gameplay wise?

Ivan: 1) Everyone plays differently obviously but the best split which leaves the least outliers is how they play their game. Namely, like a challenge, like an adventure, and like a large god-like sandbox. The difference between their preferred game is far more than just PvP or not. They still play differently. Like the Gregtech argument or argument between energy systems. Preferred difficulty, believability (just because its random doesn't mean it shouldn't make sense), whether or not a Minecraft-y feel is necessary those are all the big differences. These difference all sprout for what we think and use this game as and while there are outliers, how they play their game is still a far more pleasing split then if they prefer PvP or not, it leaves too many people wanting features they can't get because they were forced to play one way or another.

2) First off a true tutorial that goes through everything would be ridiculous unless you plan to make this mod's content very limited and very linear. Personally I think knowing exactly what will happen will suck, which what I tutorial that tells you how to use everything and when to use it does. Now we have a linear storyline, no replay value, limited content, an easy game, no discovery, not even adventure. Sounds fabulous doesn't it? A true tutorial would require a ridiculous amount of work too.

Now I understand you don't want a tutorial but rather a research system which guides you when you reach a certain point. What's the difference? A little research here and there? And then you get the directions. That makes the game not easy and gives a slight sense of discovery.

Lets assume that a Lets play couldn't cover the game, so how could a research-based tutorial system cover it? Would the tutorial also change itself based on the game? How about the research were you planning infinite resources or just three branches which were still, very linear.

Sounds like I'm making assumptions right? Then why did you say "you basically get shown what to do by the game"?

My problem is I can't see this mod being a "we only make spaceship-ish things" type of thing. This is the groundwork for something much bigger than just spaceships. Adding more on top of this would be only logical unless we want to compete with the modpacks for player where instead we could blow them away. Most people will take content over keeping your inventory between servers.

So no a spaceship will not encompass the entire mod and those it uses on top of itself. Not even close.

My "fears" aren't to be ignored as they certainly aren't without reason, my "fear" isn't for myself you now its more of a concern that several years of work becomes something incredible instead of just fancy words and item transfer, this is capable of so much more. I see this being the groundwork for a new style of game one that isn't just one thing or another but all at once, one that's only true limits are your imagination and the edges of a cube. If you want to make a real cake factory powered by the sun them by god let them eat cake.
Our job as modders is to unlock posssiblities, allow people to dream bigger. How much bigger can you get than infinity?

I don't sleep, I don't fear, I dream.

Edit: Cats: MMORPG is my exact thoughts for adventure mode, Role-playing, XP, set ahead research (think Thaumcraft) which hints and is actually quite difficult to finish.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 pm

If you look here, you´ll see that I have already submitted an interesting idea about the research system.
I must admit, I was thinking a bit too simple when saying "there´s no problem".
What might make stuff difficult for us is that Fc isn´t compatible with anything, leading to us not being comparable to other mods, but modpacks.
If we don´t supply enough awesomeness for people to say "Why play Tekkit? I don´t need quarries when I got FC!", we can be as good as we want, we will fall on the level of Better than Wolves.
We don´t just need to make a good mod, we need to make a mod that is awesome enough to outweight incompatibility (did I write this correctly?)
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Ivan2006 wrote: we need to make a mod that is awesome enough to outweight incompatibility (did I write this correctly?)
Nein, aber gut.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I personally, did not mean to attack any research system I apologize. I'd hope that you recognize that is a RPG-style research system though, a "Steve learned how to build engines!" rather than a "well I bet I could make an engine if I". That is why the universe are split the way they are, differing opinions. You prefer to play in an RPG style (evident by your research system) whereas I do not that does not mean either of us should be left out because of our choices, we need to cater to both groups.

What has this thread discussed over and over, the fact of add-on content. There is no way in heck we can rival the content of a pack as they are growing much faster than we are however, we can easily gain a leg up through our engine and mechanics. Of course those two plus a little content still isn't enough to surely beat out the packs, they simply have to much and are once more increasing in size and number by the second. If we want to dominate Minecraft rather than becoming just another BTW. If we want to be the next big thing, we can't rely on Copernicus alone. While amazing, the MC community is famous for its horrible tunnel-vision and bias.

Add-ons and content packs are necessary. Now we are back to where we have begun. How do we become greater than modpacks? Our content is now growing and we have our incredible engine but some people still prefer the enormous packs. Well why do people use packs? Whatever the reason we want to do it better. 1) Aesthetics and building possibilites. 2)More Content = More Adventure and more things to do. But what about those that don't play packs? The standalone mods? BTW, TFC, etc, simple 3)Organization and Believability people love BTW for its impressive windmills and its content that forms sprawling tiers that actually make sense. TFC players love the difficulty and sense of accomplishment.

Where does that put us? Three worlds customized for the three types of players of Minecraft each one almost a different game then the last. Each with incredible detail, depth and possibility as the sky no longer has become the limit.