It will look just like this

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: It will look just like this

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 am

Avenger_7 wrote:The fastest sci-fi series I've seen is Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda. The Glorious Heritage class capital ship can move at up to 0.4c (without killing the crew from radiation), and the standard velocity for kinetic weaponry and missiles is 0.9c. They pack enough of a punch armor is designed to allow projectiles to pass right through the ship, except in the most critical areas, to limit the amount of damage they do.
I take it you're not counting the many series in which ships move faster than light. :tongue: If that is the case, I'll mention that kzinti ships in the Known Space universe get up to .8 or .9c with gravity polarizers and the crew in stasis. Combat doesn't take place at anywhere near that speed, though.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 am

Pah!
Conjoiner Drives with Inertia Suppression get up to 0.99c
here is the stuff.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm

If we're talking realism, humans would be ridiculously outmatched by autonomous drones. Humans have an absolute minimum visual reaction time to new stimulus of 10-12 ms, and could never withstand the extreme G forces you could subject a drone to. In those action movies where the pilot shakes of the followers by suddenly flying up a wall and the other guys run into it? Wouldn't happen with a drone. If anything, it could cut it even closer and still come out just fine (if we are assuming future tech. I wouldn't try that in a DARPA car).

I say we make a video game and not a realistic simulator.

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:The fastest sci-fi series I've seen is Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda. The Glorious Heritage class capital ship can move at up to 0.4c (without killing the crew from radiation), and the standard velocity for kinetic weaponry and missiles is 0.9c. They pack enough of a punch armor is designed to allow projectiles to pass right through the ship, except in the most critical areas, to limit the amount of damage they do.
I take it you're not counting the many series in which ships move faster than light. :tongue: If that is the case, I'll mention that kzinti ships in the Known Space universe get up to .8 or .9c with gravity polarizers and the crew in stasis. Combat doesn't take place at anywhere near that speed, though.
I'm talking combat speed :P

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

still didn't solve inter system-travel. I think what I wrote on the bottom of the 6th page is the best way so far .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Nodes could work, but I would also like to give a pilot more to do. Manual control is often downplayed in space games, and I think that is unfortunate. If I have a vessel granting me unlimited freedom to go wherever I please, I'd like to at least be able to steer it.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

You can steer it as your heart pleases in the gravity wells, I just say that having that big empty space between them is not good and spreads players thin again. It adds a layer of tactics to the gameplay - holding key areas in the system alongside defined paths as well as controlling the jump nodes for travelling between systems.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Iv121 wrote:You can steer it as your heart pleases in the gravity wells, I just say that having that big empty space between them is not good and spreads players thin again. It adds a layer of tactics to the gameplay - holding key areas in the system alongside defined paths as well as controlling the jump nodes for travelling between systems.
Space should spread players thin, but having set routes around the planetary system for players and NCPs should be possible.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:00 pm

What do you guys say to the idea of NPC ships that just fly around as visual ambiance?
This is a signature.

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Lag producers.
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:What do you guys say to the idea of NPC ships that just fly around as visual ambiance?
Utterly useless. We want NPC ships that actually do stuff.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Talon93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:Talon93

Post by Talon93 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:Nodes could work, but I would also like to give a pilot more to do. Manual control is often downplayed in space games, and I think that is unfortunate. If I have a vessel granting me unlimited freedom to go wherever I please, I'd like to at least be able to steer it.
What if I'd like to engage in other tasks around the ship while I am travelling? It would better use time If I did maintenance or crafting etc if I were travelling instead of my ship sitting around doing nothing.
Anything can be learnt, it is simply how willing you are to learn.
Dramatic Bold Italic Underline!

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Cruise control.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:Cruise control.
Lol I can see it now...
"Just gotta set it to cruise while I grab a hot pocket(never had one but whatever)"
Leaves, it in a straight heading... Crashes into destination while waiting for hot pocket, killing the crew of the station and all the injured on his medical ship.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 pm

That would make for an awesome teaser trailer.

*Video starts off like any other Minecraft machinima, with some guy pushing buttons and pulling levers in a room with windows, but the camera can't see what is outside. He wanders off to the kitchen to craft some bread. While he's doing that, alarms start going off and red lights are flashing everywhere. The guy just stands there and looks around, visibly confused, then seems to come to a sudden realization about something.
*Camera cuts back to the first room. There is a switch with a small light flashing next to it. Above the light is a sign, reading "cruise control".
*Cut to a peaceful meadow scene. Without warning, a juggernaut-class cruiser dwarfing the distant mountains drops out of the sky at a 60 degree incline and crashes into the ground, with a giant plume of fire and explosions following it.
*No further elaboration, just pop up the Futurecraft Logo. End of video.