What will you do in FC?

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma
Re: What will you do in FC?

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 pm

FEN 1 of 2 is NOT amused.

Preparing Borg Tactical Cube

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 pm

I see your borg tactical cube and raise you 2 tactical spheres.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm going to start a business selling orbital bombardment hardware and tons of tiny, disposable fighters.

Why, you ask? Well, the orbital bombardment hardware is obvious. But the fighters? Look at history. The Nazis made 300 superbly high quality Panzers in WWII, whereas the Allies made literally 50,000 shoddy, dangerous 'tin cans with cannons'. Who won, in terms of tanks?
Spoiler:
If you need to look in here to know that it was the Allies, go die in a pit.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 pm

But this is minecraft, And space, You cant put a ground vehicle tactic in the air and expect it to work as well.

I've also thought since being a pirate I might as well build my Wasp Class Shipcatcher and make a buisness of selling other peoples ships.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Shadowcat wrote:But this is minecraft, And space, You cant put a ground vehicle tactic in the air and expect it to work as well.

I've also thought since being a pirate I might as well build my Wasp Class Shipcatcher and make a buisness of selling other peoples ships.
Actually the "throw as much as you can at your target" strategy works great against everything. Please see exceptions
-Exception in case of Spartans being your target.

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 am

Tunnelthunder wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:But this is minecraft, And space, You cant put a ground vehicle tactic in the air and expect it to work as well.

Actually the "throw as much as you can at your target" strategy works great against everything. Please see exceptions
Even in the case of Sparta, the throw everything at them strategy would have worked, except for the fact that the Spartans had chosen a perfect defensive position. Where they were, the numbers of the Persian army could not be taken all on at once, but had to be funneled through the pass, effectively eliminating the advantage their numbers gave them. Once they got up onto the surrounding cliffs, with their numbers, they easily won.
In space, however, there are no cliffs blocking the enemy numbers. The advantage of numbers in space basically creates a victory, if the numbers are high enough.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 pm

CaptainSporatic wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote: Actually the "throw as much as you can at your target" strategy works great against everything. Please see exceptions
Even in the case of Sparta, the throw everything at them strategy would have worked, except for the fact that the Spartans had chosen a perfect defensive position. Where they were, the numbers of the Persian army could not be taken all on at once, but had to be funneled through the pass, effectively eliminating the advantage their numbers gave them. Once they got up onto the surrounding cliffs, with their numbers, they easily won.
In space, however, there are no cliffs blocking the enemy numbers. The advantage of numbers in space basically creates a victory, if the numbers are high enough.
Exactly if it wasn't for the pass behind the Spartan line they could have held indefinitely but the pass caused the Spartans to be surrounded and killed, but they bought the necessary amount of time for the other Greek city states to amass a larger force and defeat the Persian invaders.
So, that maybe what you can use small forces for as a slow them down for as long as possible rather than kill them with a one dreadnaught army kinda of fighting style. I think if you can find your enemy while they are still fairly far out you could raid them with small fighter groups and hope to A.)Damage them enough to make an attack no longer possible B.) limit their fighting capacity to the point where you can win. or C.) buy time to run away or mount a counter offensive.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Why not instead sabotage their ships and then reuse them for your own army, Would be pretty useful to take down an empire with their own ships.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Shadowcat wrote:Why not instead sabotage their ships and then reuse them for your own army, Would be pretty useful to take down an empire with their own ships.
This isn't the best strategy since you'd have to get past their defenses with your own ship, wipe out the crew, get past any computer defenses, then proceed to do the same with the rest of their ships. Just destroying their ships would probably leave you with a lot less casualties and will take a lot less time.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

And also a giant mine field of sharp things to impede your ships with.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 am

I will join the Navy as a marine/mech pilot/pilot and rise through the ranks. Then I will resign my position and start a company that mines and produces weapons and mechs. SOO MANY MECHS.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 am

Fly around as a red cross ship, who's only weaponry is enough ECM to jam you back to the stone age.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:07 am

Fly around in an invisible stealth ship, trolling all who cross my path, and probably dying a lot.

While I build something awesome, like a ship shaped like an asteroid so people don't notice it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 pm

How about an astroid shaped like a ship next to your ship shaped like an astroid?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Shadowcat wrote:How about an astroid shaped like a ship next to your ship shaped like an astroid?
And mine both with my mining ship!