It will look just like this

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder
Re: It will look just like this

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:It might be kind of funny if travel between stars was faster than traveling between two planets in the same solar system.
This will be our way to mock the universe. We can even make up fake rules like sub space doesn't have any natural light so there is no speed limit. I mean the only reason nothing goes faster than light is so it isn't offended.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:It might be kind of funny if travel between stars was faster than traveling between two planets in the same solar system.
This will be our way to mock the universe. We can even make up fake rules like sub space doesn't have any natural light so there is no speed limit. I mean the only reason nothing goes faster than light is so it isn't offended.
"Want to go faster than light? GO TO A PLACE WITH NO LIGHT!"
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 pm

That's a really smart idea! We should totally make a TED presentation!

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote: I don't think we will need to go FTL for intra-system travel, not on the scale of the inner Solar System. The Earth is only 8 light minutes from the Sun, and if we assume our ships can travel at even 1/4 of the speed of light, we can still be anywhere within the scope of our inner Solar System within an hour.
I don't have an hour. I think interplanetary should be around 5 minutes (Pulled that out of my head.), that means at a travel speed of 100 m/s 30km away. If a planet is around 10 km by 10km (Is that what we decided? I honestly can't remember, then it could have a diameter of around 3 or so km, right? so 30 km is 10 world-lengs.

That seems about right to me.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
I apologize in advance, I'm probably going to double or triple post as I reply to posts I find useful, and I can't be bothered to string them together.

I don't think we will need to go FTL for intra-system travel, not on the scale of the inner Solar System. The Earth is only 8 light minutes from the Sun, and if we assume our ships can travel at even 1/4 of the speed of light, we can still be anywhere within the scope of our inner Solar System within an hour.

However, there was once a game I played, called "Freespace" (perhaps some of you have herd of it), that had "highways" like this. They made inter-planetary travel easy, and fast. Essentially, what they put in place were a series of rings that boosted ships from one ring to the next (the rings became a target for pirates, as they could trap traffic). Something like this could easily (or not-so-easily) be done in Futurecraft, to reduce travel time to mere seconds.

However, I think that all-in-all, it's easier to use "cartoon-like" distances for planets, or just let people suck it up.

Freespace is what I play mate, what you played is called "freelancer". Anyway I don't think that ships should travel at 1/4 of the speed of light - it will make combat somewhat problematic.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am

Planets are 5km across, or 125 km^3 in volume, and that is taking ever ounce of miracle I have to just to achieve that scale. I don't think people appreciate just how big that is in a game like minecraft.

A planet will be roughly the size of a star at ~1500km, or 300 planet lengths (for reference, the distance between Earth and the moon is 30 planet lengths). I think that is a decent semi-realistic scale to use. Keep in mind that ships could be moving a lot faster than 100 m/s out deep in space. If a ship were traveling at 25 km/s (0.21c at scale speed), it would take 10 mins to get to the next planet.

*edit*
@Iv
Maybe ships only move at that speed along the highway and so have fixed paths. But realistically, any speed is gong to be too fast to engage in aerial combat. 100 m/s is about a third the speed of sound, and even that is too fast for a player in a bulky ship to handle in a fight.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 am

So we are adding relativistic physics, right?

Also, 5km by 5km is bigger than most people think.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 am

This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 am

Yes.. hilarious.

Did ya'll read my second post?
This is a signature.

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them.
Must...Not...Make...Signature...

The fastest sci-fi series I've seen is Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda. The Glorious Heritage class capital ship can move at up to 0.4c (without killing the crew from radiation), and the standard velocity for kinetic weaponry and missiles is 0.9c. They pack enough of a punch armor is designed to allow projectiles to pass right through the ship, except in the most critical areas, to limit the amount of damage they do.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 am

Iv121 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
I apologize in advance, I'm probably going to double or triple post as I reply to posts I find useful, and I can't be bothered to string them together.

I don't think we will need to go FTL for intra-system travel, not on the scale of the inner Solar System. The Earth is only 8 light minutes from the Sun, and if we assume our ships can travel at even 1/4 of the speed of light, we can still be anywhere within the scope of our inner Solar System within an hour.

However, there was once a game I played, called "Freespace" (perhaps some of you have herd of it), that had "highways" like this. They made inter-planetary travel easy, and fast. Essentially, what they put in place were a series of rings that boosted ships from one ring to the next (the rings became a target for pirates, as they could trap traffic). Something like this could easily (or not-so-easily) be done in Futurecraft, to reduce travel time to mere seconds.

However, I think that all-in-all, it's easier to use "cartoon-like" distances for planets, or just let people suck it up.

Freespace is what I play mate, what you played is called "freelancer". Anyway I don't think that ships should travel at 1/4 of the speed of light - it will make combat somewhat problematic.
Yes! That's the one! Sorry, I only played in once, years ago. It was a fun game...

Anyway, that is cruise speed, not combat speed. That would be much slower. Actually, I wonder what space-combat will look like in the future; will computers be fast enough to handle battles at speeds like this?
This is a signature.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am

If you mean the server, yeah, no problem. In space, the server knows precisely where each orbiting object is, and everything else is vacuum. There's not even much geometry to draw or update. Everything is really inexpensive to do in space, so we can do pretty much whatever we want.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:53 am

I think he talked about real-life future space combat ... What you suggested Frost on the prev post seems to work pretty much like freelancer which could be the optimal model, or we can create inter-system jumps that lead to areas around planets and objects of interest like in SoSE

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 am

Sorry, I'm not following... What real-life space combat?

Also doesn't Sins just have you jump between adjacent gravity wells?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 am

It does , after all we are interested in the planets themselves and not in the vast empty space in between (even though sins has areas with empty space in between :) ). You enter a specific system via jump node (multiple jump nodes can be in the system leading to multiple systems). From there you can jump between gravity wells in succession like sins does. While you get to the other side of the gravity well and while your jump drive recharges you are vulnerable to attacks allowing us to hold space battles. Now that I think about that I like this model more.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:Sorry, I'm not following... What real-life space combat?
He was theorising about space combat in real life (which sounds a bit boring compared to the films :tongue: )