Harry Potter spell: reference list

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Harry Potter spell: reference list

Post by cats » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Design
Fenway
Tiel
Error
Catsonmeth (?)

Concept art
Catsonmeth

Models
Tiel

Textures
Catsonmeth (?)

Sound
Ach
Fenway
Catsonmeth (?)

Programming
Tiel
LJS (?)

Organization
Last edited by cats on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Re: Harry Potter spell: the team.

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 pm

What is this?

Is it futurecraft game or something else?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:17 pm

If you mean futurecraft game in the typical sense in that it'll be related to the concepts dreamed up in the RP section, then yes.

If you mean futurecraft game in the expectation it'll rigidly follow whatever RP is prevalent at the time and appease everyone, then no, not gonna lie, going to do my best to prevent that.

I really want to take the backseat and do what I'm actually good at, but I have no desire to work towards a flawed game. If that's what it takes to remain relevant than I guess we're in a rough spot, but I don't think that's the case.

@OP It seems silly to segregate development and design. No one here is really built for solely one or the other, and the project isn't nearly big enough to warrant a divide.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Oh. Mercury is referencing Bellum Stellarum ([very] rough translation: Stellar war/aggression).

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 pm

That's more what I was asking about. As for Tiel, I meant FC game as in made by FC.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 pm

What is 'made by FC'? One or two guys actually doing the work while everyone else yells what they think should happen at them? Because empirical evidence seems to indicate that's the only way 'FC' knows how to make anything.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 am

cannonfodder wrote:What is 'made by FC'? One or two guys actually doing the work while everyone else yells what they think should happen at them? Because empirical evidence seems to indicate that's the only way 'FC' knows how to make anything.
I hate to say it, but from what I understand about large companies, its the only way humans know how to make anything.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 am

That's what I'm trying to prevent with the segmentation. If something needs to be done, the lead can see who has the required skill and send that person the necessary information. When people know what's going on and have a single, clear goal, they're more likely to participate. Tell one person to do something and they'll do it; tell ten people and they'll bicker, fuss, and wait for someone to accept and doom himself to be that one guy that does everything.

If you just meant the actual "design" team, I made that separate for several reasons. Mainly because we've seen what's accomplished when we all try to input. Second, there's already one small group (Fen and Tiel) doing the work. It'll be more streamlined if we leave the general design and decision-making to that group rather than the cacophony that is our think tank. Obviously, we'll all provide input and feedback.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:15 am

Ok then. I'll volunteer for sound; I can't get voice of myself but I can coordinate other people's voice acting, and I can definitely find or make some music and, more quickly, sound effects. I'd need a list of things to find, though, and some basic background on the game to fit the music to.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am

I'll stay design until/if I get my modeller working smoothly and/or find another way to not be totally useless.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am

Do you know what a designer does ?
Spoiler:
BTW arranging all the random strings of text you all spew out all day long is not enough, it gotta make sense program-wise, you gotta keep in mind how its all gonna be IMPLEMENTED. I can't tell if you are cut for it or not but if you gonna all keep spew out strings of text the ppl who actually do things will most likely ignore 85% of them all because no programmer got the fknig time to sit through all of that, so take your pen and ruler and get to work.

Another note what I wrote in there was meant for my eyes mainly and so it is very minimalistic to say the least, gotta add more beef to it if you want ppl to get you. What you see there is a generic class diagram, for the matter its just info arranged in boxes there is no real methodology behind it like UML diagrams and so on, but I don't think you need those so just try to arrange em in a way that makes sense. For example here I show you how functionality stems in NavNet, from the generic classes on top through the containing classes in the middle to the functions / fields those classes contain at the bottom.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:10 am

That's why I think it's really silly to try to distinguish them; at the moment I'm figuring out the methods that make the clock tick. When they say 'design' they mean gameplay mechanics, but in all honesty everyone here seems to think that means making everything just like Starcraft.
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
cannonfodder wrote:What is 'made by FC'? One or two guys actually doing the work while everyone else yells what they think should happen at them? Because empirical evidence seems to indicate that's the only way 'FC' knows how to make anything.
I hate to say it, but from what I understand about large companies, its the only way humans know how to make anything.

It may be wise to get information abut workflow from sources other than corporate sitcoms.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

If you really wanna be useful 3D models and programming are the most important things you need, the rest is secondary. Concept artists come into play only when modellers explicitly ask for em as to shorten their work times meaning they come below em, texture artists are often the model artists as well and the project lead is the lead programmer because he knows what the program currently needs and so he allocates tasks to the rest of the team. Sound is only a secondary objective and so you can deal pretty much without them right now.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Iv I think I hear you talking but you're going to have to speak up because that horse you're on is way too high.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:26 am

If you imply that I just speak big and do nothing well I do have NavNet an no I won't help you on your project because you frankly don't need me if I am to listen to all your stuff. In fact Im currently wearing all those freaking hats you wrote there from coder to designer, I know what of those I do and what of those I don't and I know what I expect of each one of them because otherwise I wouldn't be able to make a single step forward. From all you write its clear there is a gap between what you think the dev process looks like and what it actually ends up to be, so yeah frankly you need someone on a high horse to beat you into fking shape, will it be me or Tiel , someone’s gotta * slap you into reality and get you all working on something, most likely it would be Tiel to do it though, you won't listen to me anyway.