Harry Potter spell: reference list

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
cannonfodder
Re: Harry Potter spell: reference list

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:03 pm

prototype wrote:Doing something slightly more useful:
images
Isn't this for your Flan's pack?

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Almost, I'm using a version of this as a template, but I've got some configurations that would probably work as fighters for you which I can texture.

Though it's perhaps not the most... Space-y, more of a SSTO fighter than an something you would deploy in orbit... But I can make changes to make it more sci-fi, once I stop cocking about with the aerofoil.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 am

Wings can be spacey. No lift, but radiators, hhrdpoints, RCS mountings, engines, lots of stuff you can put on wings.

Hell, I designed a frigate with wings a while back. I should probably hunt that design down, now that I think of it.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:28 am

Well, really, many fighters and singleships would be aerospace anyway.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 am

Wings can be rationalized as a design feature to increase tropospheric performance and efficiency. Dedicated space wagons wouldn't really have a reason - I would think that perhaps the largest ship with any atmospheric capability would be something analogous to a smaller frigate.

Also in other news nothing really noteworthy has happened on my side of things recently. I would encourage anyone who's able to look into creating some visuals (be they 2d or otherwise). Anything's better than nothing at this point.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Wings can also be rationalized as mounting points for weapons and other things. With a wing, you can add on additional missiles, unguided bombs, etc. without adding additional volume or too much weight to the craft. Or mounting anything. Or as a false target (better to hit the paper wing than the main body).

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:55 pm

The problem with mounting anything on a wing is that they present a lot of surface area to an enemy at a ton of angles without thickness to match. You'd want as small a target profile as possible; wings jutting out offering little more than auxiliary targets potentially seated with mission-critical modules really helps no one but the opposition.

I'm not saying that their ridiculous nature is something warranting outrage; but in practice they're just proxies to be shot off once the shields go down on larger ships. It'd make sense to mount additional weaponry to maximize arcs of fire, yes, or thrusters for more precise maneuvering, though given their inevitable demise all the mainline weaponry/engines should probably be mounted on the main hull itself, or the shielding be rather swell to compensate for the limited armor.

Just conjecture. Stuff like this just doesn't look as cool

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Shocking, we've come to the conclusion that wings have both cons and pros.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:16 pm

cannonfodder wrote: Just conjecture. Stuff like this just doesn't look as cool
Well, okay, those triangles are neither useful nor pretty.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:45 pm

I don't know either. X3 ship design only really got the larger classes right.

At least the useless triangles are flush with the hull, though.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Did someone say...
Spoiler:
Useless triangles?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:10 am

Your ships are the useless triangles so the point is moot

I've always liked the idea of triangular spaceships after reading into Star Wars EU's justification for them. Slim target profile, great fields of fire for pretty much any turret that isn't fixed to one arc. It's just hard to pull it off nowadays without looking too similar to the eponymous trend-setters, as they were.

Or like Elite: Triangles

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 am

Ah, yes, Flying Cheese Wedges: The Game.

Well, we could take a page from the Caldari book and just slap random shapes together and call it a ship.

EDIT: (inb4) I know some may feel obligated to include a flying dong, but the myth that these are a requirement in sci-fi is, in short, a phallusy.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Honestly, I went into this thinking I'd commit to it and finish with flying colors, but truth be told the more I see of the people here the more I come to remember why I left in the first place. I'm just going to go ahead and convert what I have into something more relevant to my interests.

In any other group of people that wouldn't stop the project, but I'm not really entertaining any optimism about efforts to salvage this idea from this one in particular. I guess prototype's mod of flan's will have to do.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm

cannonfodder wrote:Honestly, I went into this thinking I'd commit to it and finish with flying colors
You can't possibly be serious. The project was doomed from its inception. This forum and its people are toxic to any sort of thing like this.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe