Harry Potter spell: reference list

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: Harry Potter spell: the team.

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:07 am

I don't think we're the ones here who need to be slapped into reality, Iv.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:32 am

You can all do whatever you want with that project, currently however there is only one person working on it as far as Im aware so you are not part of that reality either way. I have at least made some progress on NavNet for comparison, enough progress in fact to present you a zoomable map (!). Whenever I get the time it becomes part of my reality. You can hate me, curse me, call me names and belittle me as much as your heart desires however that fact won't change and with it nothing can take the experience I gained working on it and other projects I did over the years. That little amount of pitiful experience is enough in fact to give me the right to speak all that stuff Im saying right now. Wanna trash talk me LJS? Then pick your lazy butt and go make some progress on that project, ask Tiel what needs to be done , he should be able to see what kind of resources hes missing at the moment.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 am

You made a zoomable map and suddenly you're a programming god?

Perhaps LJS and Mercury have their points. Iv, if you're not going to contribute anything useful (and 'You guys don't know how the dec process works' is not useful), I'mma have to ask you to shut the frak up. If you don't you'll get ignored.

Actually, on that note, we should all start ignoring Iv unless he provides constructive feedback.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 am

Heres my 3 useful points for you then:
- Retract all the roles you don't need.
- For the matter anything but a modeller and programmer, especially the designer and lead.
- Go ask Tiel what to do instead of playing all clever here, its funny you lecture me about usefulness when all you do is parry my posts here, I do stuff in the meantime and whats about you ?

If you expect anything more constructive than that then I have bad news for you - Its impossible to construct constructive criticism when there is nothing to construct it from. When ppl do stuff instead of * all day they do stuff, its there and its a fact. They poured their time and effort into it and for that I respect their work and give it the proper treatment it deserves like Mack's builds or stories or proto's models that I can only praise. You on the other hand did nothing but those pointless strings of text you see in this thread.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 am

Nah, see, you're not supposed to say (paraphrased) everyone's useless, that doesn't help.

Suggesting that, say, we all get a specific area of design to do, that might be helpful. As in, Tiel and Fen do the i portant stuff, Mercury assists and screens incoming ideas and design thoughts, something like that.

For the rewt of ye, I mean:

Guys Who Can't Code; we do the concept art (if any), we come up with generic gameplay ideas, we figure out the finnicky details of the lore (Tiel has set us a stage, we flesh it out).

This then segues into:

Mercury; Takes the stuff we come up with, refined, edits, cuts, and does all the stuff required to make it useable in game, leading to...

Actually Good Coders, who actually make the game.

This can work in reverse; Tiel needs a set of mechanics for how (unit/mission/whatever X) works, so he asks, we toss ideas to Mwrcury, and so on. Not ideal (hell, ideally we'd all be trained programmers), but it's something.

^Criticize and discuss.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:28 am

I can program in Python and a couple of Java-based languages, although I haven't worked with Java itself. I lack time, though.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:36 am

I already said sound. That's something that can operate pretty much independently of the rest. I'll want a roughly one page description of the themes and setting of the game, to make the music. I'd also want voice lines from whoever is making the story. Finally, from coders/devs in general, I'd want a list of all the things they want to make sounds.

Of course, if we could contact MonsterTeddy from the ye olden days, he could do everything I can do better.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm

I have music mixing equipment so I can make sound/music stuff to when the time comes.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Okay I've added everyone that's volunteered to the reference list. Let me know if I missed anything or you want a more specific role (like if Ach wanted "effects" or "music" instead of just "sound," for instance). I suppose I'll act as temporary organizer unless everyone thinks we can do without it or someone more qualified/less busy wants to do it.

We need modelers (obviously), texture artists, and designated concept artists.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Harry Potter spell: reference list

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Gratz, now lets see if you stand up to your big words.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:06 am

I would like to help but have no idea what to do, any suggestions?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:09 am

Iv, we need you. We really do, without your righteous guidance we will surely fall apart and probably all kill ourselves.
Just kidding, stop making an ass of yourself.

What can you do, tell?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Mercury Steam wrote:Iv, we need you. We really do, without your righteous guidance we will surely fall apart and probably all kill ourselves.
Just kidding, stop making an ass of yourself.

What can you do, tell?
Let's try not to alienate what few members we have, hm? I mightn't have a full grasp of what goes on between all you people considering how rarely I visit, but the way to respond to someone being a jerk does not involve being a jerk. What has Iv really been doing, anyway?
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:49 pm

The White Knight of Condescension cometh to put us all in our places! Iv's done nothing for this project except call everyone stupid in long, argumentative paragraphs (hence the ass-making). I mean... there are examples in this thread. At least make an attempt to know what's going on before you whip out Excalibur to defend the innocents.

No more whiny rabble in this thread or I'll have to ask Error to clean away further clutter.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Saying that they need to thin out their "roles" and focus on what really matters - Programmers and modellers, but ppl seem to take it as a personal offense to their good name, especially the designers (Somewhat unsurprising considering I claim they are prob one of the most useless jobs they got on the list because all they do is what I do here right now, well they're not useless IRL but IRL they draw graphs and plan class structures and functions, not debate over how to describe owls in the readme lore section or something)

As I said though, perhaps YOU do something for this project first to justify your words, for now you are worth exactly what i am for this project and that is the most common reason of NullPointException . If you do something as a designer Ill ahve nothing to say after all. It does seem unjust that you believe your bickering is worth more than mine just because you think you're part of the "cool crew". If you want to go bash at me though do it as much as you want, I ignored your prev attempts but I cannot ignore when you take that toxicity out on other ppl , keep your crap to yourselves (or to me if you want to).
Last edited by Iv121 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.