Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:34 am

cannonfodder wrote:The biggest thing is that owls are just a huge joke that stopped being funny a while ago but were thus designed to be so audacious that they can't fit into anything serious. It's a dangerous existence the Strigiforme dwells in, one that's sustained more by tradition than desire. So the obvious choice would be to just do away with them entirely. The second that you've refused to consider up to this point is to enhance your faction so that it can be taken seriously without making it stupidly evil in the process.

It can be taken seriously, just cut out all the brony things; they really aren't that evil. If they aren't included, I won't be too terribly upset(I was more asking about cats' seemingly universal bipedal favoritism) but considering that every other alien race we have backstory for is a subspecies of human or another human-ish bipedal, it's kinda boring. Additionally, as it is space RTS, the whole owl thing is just written story, and could be switched out with any other race you care to name.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 am

Well humans fighting each other in space can be engaging if you write it correctly and have a lot of philosophical and ethical undertone, its not material for your project however.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:38 am

We already have humans ; GSI is human, HGE is human, and presumably the SDI will be Strigiforme.

That said, because this is a space RTS and all we see are spaceships, we can write the Strigiforme species into the game however, because you never see them. Say 'avian' and leave it at that, wham, problem solved.

'Avian' stretches from bird to turian-clone, so we don't all need to fight over realism.

I could coordinate, but my ability to do so via tablet is limited.

I may or may not be able to submit the models I wanted to (modeller video tutorials plus sister's love of nomnomnom-your-bandwidth-Skype), but if you lot want, I'll see if I can supervise, or something.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:17 am

Avian sucks, it sounds terrible as a name , ironically bird-like aliens sounds better because it doesn't try to play wanna-be science.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

avada kedavra

Post by cats » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Or we could use something that we don't have to hide. We'll probably have character sprires at some point, and we'd have to have this argument again. Might as well deal with the problem now before it takes root.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Iv121 wrote:ironically bird-like aliens sounds better because it doesn't try to play wanna-be science.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Agreed. Wat?

Giant alien owl-like birds from another dimension

Vs.

Avian species

...I feel like the first one isn't very scientifically sound.

Regardless my vote goes to them being avian-descended bipeds. Feathers, vestigal wings of a sort, perhaps, but full-on owls? ...eh.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm really surprised we don't have any saurians.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Well thats exactly the point, the "scientific term" is so butted out in your face it feels like the devs are taking you for an idiot trying to convince you with pretty words its SCIENCE so I prefer the honest title that doesn't consider its audience for mental retards.

Don't try to make it look like science, it will never be scientifically possible , its like dumb action films that try to take themselves too seriously or trying to explain the force in star wars. Yeah it got a stupid explanation but we are all better off just not knowing it and accepting it as what it is - space magic, it doesn't make it any less cool right ? Nor do we actually care about the freaking science behind it.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:33 pm

You're the only one so far who has hated using the word avian to describe avians.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm

If I continue to end up with this in my hands I can promise you this will be a non-issue.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:38 pm

The prob is not that it describes avians, is that it tries to create science behind the existence of 60 feet fire breathing owls from another dimension that have nothing in common with the earthly owls apart from look, have fun making up your pseudo science explain that. Instead just say giant space owls and let it be the community gag it is, dont try to make of it something more, everyone thinks more is better and that is why so many movies that ere pure dumb fun go too high and flop.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Strigiforme are owls which are birds which are avians. What's one word in a description somewhere going to make a difference, really?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm

The first tells you waht it is while the other tries to make you break its bones for trying to make something unsciency, its a psychological trigger more than anything, and its admitting that those owls originated from earth. Avians is the term describing the family of birds that exist on EARTH.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Iv121 wrote:Avians is the term describing the family of birds that exist on EARTH.