Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
oculous repairo

Post by cats » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 am

Why the hell are there so many three letter acronyms and why are we using more than one?

Let's not use more than one. Let's use names that aren't NASDAQ symbols, yeah?

E: oh yeah I have another idea. Let's not use owls. Let's use something that's not owls.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 am

Three is convenient and easy to remember.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 am

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 am

Did I miss something? What's all the discussion of TLAs about?
This is a signature.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote: Did I miss something? What's all the discussion of TLAs about?

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Re: oculous repairo

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 am

Mercury Steam wrote: E: oh yeah I have another idea. Let's not use owls. Let's use something that's not owls.
If not owls, then what? More humans? Other aliens? You can't just say "remove owl", you have to give an alternative.

As for the 3 letter acronyms, probably should use fewer. Strigiforme can just be Strigiforme, others might be more difficult, considering they are organizations. Maybe a 4 letter acronym to spice it up?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 am

Strigiforme Sovereignity. SS.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:06 am

I'm tempted to let you continue arguing it, but the problem's already been resolved. There will be no SDI, HGE, or GSI. There will be no Strigiforme, at least, not as you know them.

inb4
Spoiler:
You had the chance to appoint someone friendlier to your original concept.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 am

AFAIK nobody got appointed, but tiel seems to have taken charge.

Although honestly, the terms may change, but both the GSI and HGE (or GalSec Initiative, and Hexalan Expanses if you dislike the acronyms) are fairly original (as original as sci-fi alliances get, anyhow).

Not entirely sure why you're chopping them.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Remove Strigiforme? Welp goodbye FC, Hello Starcraft with only humans in space.

>Removes ponies
>Wants to remove owl, something very inherent to the core of futurecraft lore.

Fuck at this rate I'm just gonna suicide my faction and replace it with human faction #51846. Clearly making FC human space * 9000 will increase its ability to stand out from the other human space * 9000.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:57 pm

I don't really get the whole deal of changing them, mostly because I have no idea what Tiel is planning on using instead.

Factions matter very little; it's just a name and a lore. We'd use Strigiforme and whatever the fuck else because we already have a coherent idea of what they are and what they aren't.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:20 pm

While shadow may be roughly as subtle as an orbital strike, he has a point; if this is to be a Futurecraft RTS, at least a mention of the Strig is required. While Mercury might hate them with every fiber of his hate, they have been a fixture of the RPs and accepted lore for most/all of its existence.

At this point, I must ask: are we making a FutureCraft RTS, or a Genericus Sci-Fi RTS?

When I tried/failed to restart this, I saw it as an FC-lore based game, with the strengths, weaknesses, units, and backgrounds relevant to. I based it off the RPs because there is no 'FC lore' from the other parts of the forum; plus, a great many members have made and played factions within the RPs.

Really, while removing the Strigiforme isn't entirely a dealbreaker, it does shift this from 'FC-centric' to 'FC-based, partially original'. Not bad, per se, but not what most of us had in mind, either.

Just me .02 credits.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Well its not like you're making an FC RTS to begin with :tongue: , don't recall all those weird acronyms not even as alliances within the RPs, more like an attempt to get everyone pleased by lending a letter out of their faction name into this salad (I don't think mine was added BTW O.o). At least its hard for me to imagine it as FC RP based without seeing the Hyperion or one of the ARKs in. If you make em as crazy as those things were in the lore you might add at least some flavor to your RTS, some factions will need to be sacrificed in the process though as you can't make so many of them nor combine em all. Some of them are not unique enough to be added either.

If you plan to take two extremes such as the owls and lets use UTN for an example ,than put the rest in the middle as some sort of "jacks of all trades" Id like to warn you that you are taking away from the games charm. Its true its a common pattern in RTSs, however the common RTSs have much more to offer than you have, they can allow themselves to keep such stock nation in their roster, you can't and you shouldn't , make em as crazy as the members behind em, its part of their charm.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error

Post by Error » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:06 pm

You haven't played anyone in the last two or three RPs. Honestly, if you did remember the alliances, I'd be suprised.

The rough situation of the galaxy, or how I see the lore for this game:

Strigiforme Empire: Pretty much unchanged. Avians with a habit of roflstomping 'lesser' races and oppressing them because that's how they do things.

GSI: The human and some other alien factions under one banner, sort of. Meant as a deterrent to the SE. NOTE: the Terran Union isn't here because as of about 2200, it doesn't exist.

HXE/HGE/Hexalan Expanses: Militaristic corporatocracy, primarily concerned with conquering territory and enforcing their view of paradise or utopia. Finding the galaxy-conquering rather difficult when faced with the other two. Still trying.

ARK Network: Not doing much yet.

That, however, doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Tiel apparently has a plan, so let's see what his thoughts are.

TL;DR the UTN/UTA/whatever Terrans don't exist as an empire or faction because Iv hasn't played them in an RP anytime recently.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Well let me correct you, the initial plan as to go with the factions that proto mashed up for his FC pack lore, it happened in the early days of the pack which was WAAAY before you even began to make RPs, and yeah the UTN wasn't there. Plus frankly Im one of the very few factions to have ready ships and tactics to work with. Try to recall any famous ships from the RPs, take even your last two, and try to imagine how they looked like. One way or another you can't deny the UTN stood the test of time, there’s no way anyone from this place doesn't know what it is even though I haven't mentioned it for a freaking year or so. It's iconic and iconic is what you need, ofc I can't force you to add it and in fact I doubt you will but perhaps Im in for a pleasant surprise. There is too much screwed up with this project so it would be stupid to argue with you over those minor nuances when you have much worse issues to address first.

On a side note UTN ? Dead ? Hehe keep dreaming :tongue: .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN