Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK
Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Vinyl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:58 pm

This good?
Spoiler:
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Certainly a good start. Maybe nose or tail-on, just for a 3rd reference? Makes everyone's lives easiee.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Working on a ship.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 pm

I opened up Blender today to realise I still have my attempt at Cat's Narok lying around.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Error

Post by Error » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Any specific ship, or just generic?

Also, how do you mirror in Blender?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Fleet Intelligence wrote:Any specific ship, or just generic?

Also, how do you mirror in Blender?
There's an option to flip somewhere, but it also turns the mesh inside out for whatever reason.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 am

prototype wrote:I opened up Blender today to realise I still have my attempt at Cat's Narok lying around.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi, it's been a while hasn't it? Can't even remember my login, so new account :P

Decided to check up on you guys the other day; imagine my surprise when I saw this thread! It's nice to see someone stepping up to the plate...I do have to say sorry for leaving so abruptly, I did try to get proto to take over the project but I can only assume he hasn't had the time or some other. Regardless, I'm happy you managed to work something out.

I don't know how much use this is going to be to you, but here is my working folder of the previous project. It has a fair amount of models; some related and some not. Again, seeing as you've switched gears to a space theme, it may be less than helpful, though if you find something you want for this or anything else you're free to use it.

In regards to that, however, I cannot disrecommend Spring enough. Initially I intended to create a space themed RTS on that engine about...well, coming up on 2 years ago now. While it undeniably has aspects that are desirable, several limitations I realized through research caused me to cease development on it:
  • Pathfinding - Spring uses its own algorithms to figure out unit movement, which while not inherently flawed lend to 'mobbing', which, while inconspicuous in TA clones, is undesirable aesthetic-wise for games of capital ships and starfighters moving in tandem.
  • Lua Scripting - As I think Last_Jedi_Standing pointed out, everything is handled by LUA in Spring. No, really, everything, down to minor animating. I have no idea how familiar any of you are with development past the design phase, but animation via code is a colossal pain in the rear-end, especially with spaceships that might have several parts moving simultaneously.
  • GUI - This ties into the above. The GUI is not easily modifiable at all, meaning almost every mod looks exactly the same save for the units, as few possess the expertise to 'open the box' and figure out just how to customize the thing.
  • Mapping System - Spring's maps are fixed to be created via heightmap; there is no ability to go in and manually model terrain. On a first glance, this made creating a space map pretty difficult...I did attempt to do so with little success.
  • Engine focus - Spring will always be first and foremost an enabler of games focusing on mass unit combat. For some it is pleasurable to simply hurl units at one another until a commander comes out on top, but my goal was to create a tactically rich experience free from the cliches of waves of cannon fodder duking it out. Doing so is not possible in Spring; moreover, RPG elements are comparably difficult to add beyond upgrade systems. This style of gameplay is detached, something I felt would be out of place in a game regarding a universe painstakingly crafted by a community.
Overall Spring's greatest sin in my eyes was not conforming to a conventional workflow, making development much more difficult than it could be. Just modding any game is no mean feat, but Spring is moreso - I don't think you fully grasp what you're getting into with it. I know you are all just throwing ideas around right now, yet I can't help but not try to steer you away from this engine in particular as much as possible. Consider Unity, UDK...or perhaps just search for a '3d RTS engine' on your preferred browser and peruse the results. Plenty of free general game engines out there offer strategy game starter kits. Fully explore your options before committing to any single one.

That said, I wish you the best of luck. I'll be available to help as a programmer and modeller should you need it, but this forum is no longer the priority it once was.

Also go easier on Iv. It's rather crass to put someone at stake for offering their opinion.
Last edited by cannonfodder on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Nice to see you back, Tiel!

Aight, I guess Spring is relegated to a backup for the moment. The hunt for a new engine begins. Danke shoen for the heads-up.

Also, perhapsmore unit concepts (stations?) tonight or tomorrah. And campaign ideas; it's something of a (for lack of abetter term) stretch goal, but this is the concept phase.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:17 pm

It's been too long, welcome back mate.

As for working myself, things are nearly done with the latest Flans update (just, like, 2 guns left to do) so I can start blendering models together. Currently in an inspirational slump in terms of designs but I should be able to re-build some fighters for now.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:04 am

Is good maybe?
Spoiler:
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:16 am

Is good.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Vinyl wrote:Is good maybe?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Those wing things are more complicated than they need to be imo

It would be better to have that kind of individuality divested in the design overall instead of one section.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Those are Hexelani ships according to their military doctrine anything more then a flying * is an improvement.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]