Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Disable the Cryosleep Pods, Dammit

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:59 pm

@ Error if our results are both "generic" (Show me a single other anything taht every tried to do what I do) my project is way easier, I believe what you try to do might be over your head. If the results are of same quallity and perhaps even better and yet the work is easier that still makes more sense to go my way, though I wonder if practicallity is really your concern there Error, perhaps the fear of the unkown ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Fleet Intelligence wrote:Neat, but... uh... how does one fit a walker into a space game? Honest question.

Will look into Spring; if it ccan do spacey stuff, awesome.
You can't, of course. Had I a spaceship to show I would have.
Iv121 wrote:I wonder if practicallity is really your concern there Error, perhaps the fear of the unkown ?
It's at this line that you can fuck right off. It isn't the case that people are afraid of your ideas, it's that we think they're bad ideas.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 pm

@Iv my thought was to pick up (sort of) where Tiel left off.

Also, note: you suggested you could improve your RP tool. Cool. If you want to do that, precisely nothing is stopping you. If you release one, hey, I'll likely RP with it. But I ask you: why are you opposed to an RTS? Difficulty? We can work around to built up to that. Or, as you said, fear of the unknown?

TL;DR if you want to make your RPG I will probably play it, but i also want to work on an FC-based RTS.

EDIT: Spring does support 3D environments. And otherwise seems appropriate. I'mma do some downloads and reading, see what I can find out about making stuff with it.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Tell » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:29 pm

After looking at spring for a bit I do think its cool, but my only thought is how long it would take to learn everything.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote: It's at this line that you can fuck right off. It isn't the case that people are afraid of your ideas, it's that we think they're bad ideas.
Alright Ill fk off, though without me you run pretty thin on the programming part. When I say its over your head theres a reason for that, think Im wrong ? Try it out and see for yourselves, perhaps it will quell your arrogance. TBH its not even a fair bet, my chances to win were always higher to begin with, you're not in a position for holding that argument right now and you will need all hands possible to win that argument.
Last edited by Iv121 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Think we could in any way fuse an RP to an RTS? Maybe it's because it's impossible, but consider this; imagine if you could command a fleet/ships a la Space RTS, but you would sometimes have some other kind of missions; maybe text based RP, maybe a top down shooter, or something. This would enable both RTS and a significant plot. Perhaps you play campaign with two different characters, the Admiral and the Commando. To set up for an RTS level, the Commando has to seize the ship manufacture, and then the Admiral moves in and engages with the ship manufacture making ships or something.

The issue I see is that regardless of our amazing backstory, we can only fit so much into an RTS. Even if we have codex entry for every level, something like Mass Effect with interpersonal communication has far more information conveyed.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:39 pm

@Ach - Only issue is Spring is apparently very iffy for a non-RTS... we could (theoretically) pull off your idea, but I've no clue how successfully.

@Iv - Stop with the 'holier than thou' and either a) get the hell out of my thread or b) contribute something more constructive than "you guys can't do it", will you?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:47 pm

I gave you a plan, you rejected it (with nothing more but a vague claim its bad - cosue REASONS !). I gave you a warning, you ignored it. To put it bluntly I think your arrogance is clouding your thoughts, if there’s something I know better than you ppl is writing progs and I know what it takes to make those. If you want to get anywhere at least find a proper engine to use, hopefully on the level of "drag stuff onto the screen to make it work" because I doubt any of you can use code-based engines, you can test it out yourselves - do you know whats a paint loop ? And more importantly how to make it ? If not its way over your head as I said.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:Alright Ill fk off, though without me you run pretty thin on the programming part. When I say its over your head theres a reason for that, think Im wrong ? Try it out and see for yourselves, perhaps it will quell your arrogance. TBH its not even a fair bet, my chances to win were always higher to begin with, you're not in a position for holding that argument right now and you will need all hands possible to win that argument.
All Spring requires is LUA scripting. I've never used that language, but it looks similar enough to either Python or Java to not be much of an issue. We don't need you.

Also, dude. You're the one saying that only you can program. The arrogance thing is an odd choice.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:51 pm

*whoosh*

Iv, you miss the point.

This thread is about making a Futurecraft RTS.

Let me repeat that:

This thread is about making a Futurecraft RTS.

That means posts here are expected to contribute, or to criticize. Also note the hypocrisy: "You can't do an RTS, it's too hard" isn't exactly valid criticism, it's just telling people they suck.

If you want to work on another project, post about it elsewhere. If you have VALID criticisms (i.e. how will X be accomplished, the design of Y seems flawed), post here.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:57 pm

@ Jedi I aint no shy or modest but I aint no arrogant either, I play my strengths and ask for help on my weaknesses. And it doesnt matter what the language is, all engines are sets of macros / scripts or functions/classes as we call em properly, you still need to know what a paint loop is and with any luck perhaps it would be done for you , still gotta know where to plunk all the render code.

No point missed error, read my post and tell me what YOU missed, what Im telling you is pretty much to pick a better engine. I didnt dive into spring, I should prob look it up to see for myself how hard it is but if its even partially code based I can already imagine the results based on my own experience and learning curve. If you want to reach your max with this you need a different engine because no matter what code wont be the strong part in your project. The less code you have the more focus you can divert towards your strengths ending up with a better result. Dont throw accusations at me half heartedly like that after barely reading half of my post.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Iv121 wrote:No point missed error, read my post and tell me what YOU missed,
You're one of the most arrogant bastards I've ever had the displeasure of encountering, and a large part of it is due to the fact that you seem incapable of recognizing that. It's like you assume that people are lying when they say they don't like you.

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:07 pm

@Iv Spring being an engine for - explicitly - unprofessional/amateur projects.

If you can find a more newbie-friendly RTS engine, please, be my guest.

And I grow tired of pointing out I do read your posts, and you'll note I personally leave the coding to those skilled in it. And if you weren't being an arrogant ass, Iv, I would have asked for your help on this project; but obviously, your only interest is to pick holes in it and call it bad, so I doubt you'd fit with people willing to at least try.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

@ LJS Nah I know you hate me with all your heart but frankly I dont care, it doesn't change the way I view you in the slightest. You know what ? Fk it lets roll with you and Error, Im arrogant, and it doesn't change the facts that came afterwards, so if it makes you feel better let me be arrogant. In fact lets see you making that LUA thing work first and then we can discuss whos more arrogant, you or me. Im afraid that by amateur they mean "doesn't have to handle the basics" which BTW look like that: http://sourceforge.net/p/springrts/code ... OpenGL.cpp , do you know whats that ? That is mate the creation of the macros that you'll have to use to make your thing work, and yup it seems like they wont be writing it all for you after all ... It does seem you get a neat package for it though.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 pm

._. Just go away. Get out of this thread. Please.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.