Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 am

First things first: *deep breath*

I know fr0st if probably still working on futurecraft in his off time but given that he has a job and a life and stuff i thought we could start doing some fc stuff on our own probably not as a minecraft mod but as a standalone game or something just to give us all something to do and while most of us lack java experience there are other languages and engines and I know for a fact some of us have a little programming experience and stuff so maybe we could try that.

In other words: bring back the RTS, as a larger project.

Tiel buggered off of somesuch, so we're starting from the top: we'd need the full array of programmers, modellers, artists, designers, and such, but we have enough skills to:

1) MODELLERS, LEVEL DESIGNERS

Build and shape levels or unit models. I would suggest we make this a space-based game, given that simplifies level design and lets us roll it in with modelling - plus, starships are generally easier to model than people and finnicky little units.

2) CONCEPT ARTISTS, TEXTURE ARTISTS, SOUND DESIGNERS

I know some of us understand sound design. And given we're not working with living stuff, most of us could probably sketch up ship or station concepts, da? First-stage stuff will all come out of here, likely.

3) PROGRAMMERS

I have no idea what engine we'd use - Glest? Not sure if it supports space - so suggestions are welcome. If you can program, your halp would be appreciated. A lot.

The Actual Game

Given FC was meant as a space game, I see things like this:

1) Adapt the lore a bit to give the gamr a set of factions (3?) - SDI (Strig-Orion-someone), GSI (NeoRome-Commonwealth-Macai) and HGE (Hexalan-Zuguth-maybesomeonelse). This is just for the sake of simplicity.

2) Give our ships actual designs. Sketch out production ships (re: base buildings), warships, fighters, and so on. This gives us the game units.

3) Entirely spaceborne. Maybe the skyboxes could have planets, but keep it solely in space, if only for simplicity.

4) Either find an existing game to mod to hell and back (Homeworld 2 comes to mind - space game and all) - suggestions welcome - or find an engine to build an entirely new game. I would suggest mod, unless we have some seriously l33t coders.

5) ???

6) Profit!

Yez, I know FC's apathy will probably claim this, but I figure there's little harm in trying. Sign up or ridicule the idea in dis thread. I'll try and get some concept stuff up later today.

Time to drag FC out of cryo.

The Team:

Error (Concepts, Modelling, Engine?)
Tell (Modelling, Engine)
L_J_S (?) (Modelling, Textures?)
Daynel (?) (Concepts?)
Prototype (?)(Modelling?)

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: Disable the Cryosleep Pods, Dammit

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:01 am

I have the .obj file for the AT-RT clone Tiel made before he left.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:14 am

I support any such movement, of course. However, I am not really a big fan of all the RP-lore or letting 'Futurecraft: The Roleplay' bleed into 'Futurecraft: The Game(TM)'. But that's a moot point from my side given that other than modding minecraft (Which we can't really do to such an extent that would seem worth it, not without Fr0sty and his engine) or making a new game (Which we probably lack the skills for, so far) there's no way to make it as sandbox as it would have to be for being player-generated-lore friendly enough.

About the programming, I'm learning C++ in school. And within my class I'm sharing the first place with some other guy. But we haven't went anywhere too deep yet, so, yeah. We're officially learning Java in the next school year though, so if Copernicus is done by then I could actively contribute to the original way things were meant to be done.

Maybe I can help with this thing. I doubt it, but who knows, maybe.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 am

Any little bit helps. And on the plus side, if we can't make it, a few people train up their programming skills while everyone else keeps expanding the asset library.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I feel like lore could work as long as we don't use the stupid RP. Pitch some story ideas around involving the separate factions, I know we have a lot of creative minds here so I don't doubt we could come up with something different than the RP. Also I know it's been around for a while but can we give it a less dumb name?
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Well I've only worked with .obj format a few times, but I'm relatively competent with it, just need to work on textures a bit.

However, Manus has been talking about a way to convert Flan models into .obj, if this ever goes through, then I can simply convert all my work into .obj. Would require tweaking, but I can handle that.

And I haven't heard from Flan for ages, so my duties on the official packs might be over.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 pm

If you ask me making a generic RTS is both too big on you and sort of a waste. We should capitalize on what were strong at - RPs. Take the RP tool I make, make it a few times bigger and you will end up with something more creative, useful and generally badass than that generic RTS youre trying to make while being much easier to create.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 pm

I'd love to help. Sadly, I don't think there's anything I could help with.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

@Iv and thus, your tool gives us... a generic Sci-Fi RPG. Which is really little better than a generic sci-fi RTS. And the RTS is more user-friendly (you don't need a lore background) and more accessible (anyone who'll play it understands RTSes) and more fun than punching numbers into a fancy calculator.

/counterargument

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:48 pm

I've actually been playing around with Cryengine SDK and Blender for awhile now. I do feel that if we use Cryengine we would be copying off of Star Citizen a little bit but it really is a good engine. Also I find when making stuff in blender I need good concept/drawing of the thing to get anything done.

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm

An RTS, copying off SC (FP space sim/rpg)? Wat?

But awesome. If you can assist, t'would be preciated. For now, however, we need the basics; units, gameplay mechanics and ideas, and other such things.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Fleet Intelligence wrote:An RTS, copying off SC (FP space sim/rpg)? Wat?

But awesome. If you can assist, t'would be preciated. For now, however, we need the basics; units, gameplay mechanics and ideas, and other such things.
Just figured out what RTS meant... In that case might I suggest ether Unity or Unreal

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Unity might be best, but I'm not sure how optimized it is for an RTS. Herm.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:55 pm

I believe Tiel was planning to use the Spring engine, which is both free and designed around nonprofessionally made RTSs. Before he left Tiel had me working on some of this stuff; real life intervened and I made little progress, but I found and learned to use a couple of tools for texturing complex models and stuff like that.
I got exactly this far:
Spoiler:
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Neat, but... uh... how does one fit a walker into a space game? Honest question.

Will look into Spring; if it ccan do spacey stuff, awesome.