So why the hell don't we have this

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
So why the hell don't we have this

Post by  ҉  » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Look, I'm being somewhat sarcastic--I know exactly why we don't have that. It's because that was Cascaid, and it was ages ago (I'm unable to figure out exactly how old. It was posted to the forum proper in September 2012, but it was old then), and Cascaid's gone.

Then there's this:
[y0utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qrif1t ... e=youtu.be[/y0utube]
Why don't we have that? I have no idea. That dates back to at least 2011. I don't know why those [youtube] tags don't work, either, but somebody should look at that.

We've had so many people. Cascaid, easymc, buggy, danice, ectrimble, Groundburg, MonsterTeddy, and we have absolutely nothing to show for any of them. Cascaid was doing great stuff, but we have none of it and who the hell knows what happened to him. Ectrimble is the same way. MonsterTeddy was doing music; haven't heard from him in a couple of years. I don't even remember Groundburg or easymc. Danice and buggy have been around more recently? But recently is still, like, a year. Do we have any of MonsterTeddy's stuff? Have we even seen the code from any of these people? Where's fr0st now, anyway? This has been in development for three years, and literally the only things we have are a screenshot whose origins I can't quite pin down and a video of a ship-flying system that apparently wasn't expected to work even back in 2011 but is still vastly more impressive than anything that's ever been delivered. It's been more than two months since we gained a new member other than the server person, and longer than that since we gained a member that actually posted. On September 5, 2012, in Area 51, fr0st said:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:We're pretty much it right now.

Danice was working on power distribution and some computer stuff. Nothing much came of it, and I'm pretty sure his hands are full IRL.
Keon is supposed to be working on the shipyard drafting interface. Pretty sure nothing has happened with that.
Iv121 is taking a shot at designing tech trees, but the content phase is still too nebulous to do any detailed work.
Dr. Mackeroth, or whatever the dragon with the red text name is calling himself now, is the actual leader of the project. Mostly does odd jobs.

MonsterTeddy was doing music. Currently inactive, will probably come back.
Cascaid was messing around with ship controls for a little bit. Currently inactive, might come back.
Ectrimble was experimenting with server communication. Disappeared without a word one day. Very unlikely he's coming back.

There's also a few people messing around with models and textures, but nothing much has happened with that, either. Mostly, I think people have been waiting on me, and I've been really busy with my job the last 5 or so months. That will probably continue to be the case until the end of November, when the time crunch is over with.

As far as completed work, it's pretty dismal. There's an old occlusion culling algorithm which I'm repurposing for a side project, and some flying ship proof of concept that's about a year old now. My current code is handled outside of minecraft, and the environment held together by twine and chewing gum, and the rest of my work mostly exists as detailed notes and algorithms I keep in a notebook.
In there I have, off the top of my memory, stuff for collision physics, entity interfaces, a ton on netcode schema, even more on the rendering pipeline, world management, compression, some outdated stuff and some other stuff I can't remember at the moment, and some strategies for 3D planets. Most of it either works or should work, but it's going to be a while before I can get to most of it.

The rest of the codebase keeps disappearing when its respective developers go awol.
Objectively speaking, we don't have a hell of a lot to show for the past year of work, and it's disappointing, but progress has been made. Around this time last year, I don't think we were even going to do real space, much less the MMO concept. The mod is much bigger now, and more importantly, we actually know how to do most of the stuff we've talked about, at least in theory.
So basically what I'm saying here is 'What the fuck are we all doing?' How can we be worse off now than we were eighteen months ago? What happened to all these coders, and can they be contacted? What's fr0st been doing lately? Why haven't we seen progress in years? What's wrong with the ship in that video, and does that code still exist? Why is the old forum gaining members when the new one is not? What happened to the initiative to learn Java (Not that that was ever a remotely practical way to make something like FC, but still)? Why haven't we ever added even so much as a single block? Wasn't Keon a coder at one point? What's happened to Mackeroth? Where is this eventually going to end? I don't have answers to any of these questions. Do you?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: So why the hell don't we have this

Post by cats » Wed May 07, 2014 6:29 pm

*Raises hand* I know, I know! It's because everyone has pretty much lost interest in minecraft, has given up hope for FC, and is generally comfortable with just being a community and Flan's Mod pack. We lost all of the devs because no one ever actually organized them. We lost most of what little progress we had with the devs.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed May 07, 2014 9:00 pm

There was probably no where for us to have the Devs dump their code in case of brain seizures. And the whole lack of any real recognition or organization part too.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 pm

I think I made a topic on this problem a while back that you posted on. Granted, that was more to do with decline of community rather than decay of development, but many of the points raised are pretty much the same.

I have to say I'm in agreement with cats on this. I know I haven't touched Minecraft in months (though just now getting around to cancelling the server for it I never used). At the moment I'm here for the people more than anything, with the RP taking a close second with the recent/ongoing changes. I think I've said it before - I would leap with joy if FC came out tomorrow, but that release is by no means something I ponder every waking moment of the day like some people here (*cough* Tell *cough*).

Fr0st, if you're reading this, I know it's heavily discouraging and hurting your motivation is not something I intend to do or innately enjoy, but let's be honest - in the industry time is everything, and the mod might have very well missed its window.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu May 08, 2014 12:43 am

Haven't finished reading yet, but according to Fr0st ECTrimble's GF left him, and I doubt we'd have been much consolation at the time. Or now, for that matter.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 am

about the [y0utube]-tag, you need https.
If you want http, the tag would be [youtube].
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Thu May 08, 2014 9:39 am

catsonmeth wrote:*Raises hand* I know, I know! It's because most people have pretty much lost interest in vanilla minecraft, have almost given up hope for FC, and is generally damned with just being a community and Flan's Mod pack. We lost all of the devs because no one ever actually organized them. We lost most of what little progress we had with the devs.
Fixed it to my opinion.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 am

Most people that used to play MC have lost interest almost completely, modded or not.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Thu May 08, 2014 3:32 pm

That was sort of offensive Tiel.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Me? Offensive? Surely you jest.

Though in all honesty if you're taking insult from someone you've never even met saying you retain the most devotion to the project, I think it might be time to go offline for a bit and meditate.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Tiel wrote:saying you retain the most devotion to the project
When did I ever say that?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu May 08, 2014 3:53 pm

I did.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu May 08, 2014 6:50 pm

And he's correct. While we may, in jest, toss around suggestions and such, we're all aware FC is less than vaporware at this point. While your determinator status is approaching the level of astonishing, frankly, we're going nowhere on the mod.

And I do feel we've missed our window. But in all honesty, I doubt many of us are here for the community (personally, having people to argue with keeps me sane), so I'm not sure what's tying us together. A hope for the mod? Flan's pack? The RPs?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 pm

— David Langford
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:And he's correct. While we may, in jest, toss around suggestions and such, we're all aware FC is less than vaporware at this point. While your determinator status is approaching the level of astonishing, frankly, we're going nowhere on the mod.

And I do feel we've missed our window. But in all honesty, I doubt many of us are here for the community (personally, having people to argue with keeps me sane), so I'm not sure what's tying us together. A hope for the mod? Flan's pack? The RPs?
I dot think its that dire error, sure the chances of the mod being released are fairly moot but fr0st hasn't upped and said fuck or yet so there is still a chance something could get done. Besides with the flans pack working fairly well the mod is actually coming to fruition at least RP wise.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]