FC's 'Teamapptness'

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
FC's 'Teamapptness'

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:34 pm

We all can agree that FC will more then likely be a fairly bloody universe at times, But how group oriented will FC be? Will the game-play cater more to lone wolves or will it require multiple people to really get anywhere?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: FC's 'Teamapptness'

Post by cats » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm an advocate of entire servers being one large faction that the player automatically joins when he/she joins the server and has the option to leave.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:00 pm

catsonmeth wrote:I'm an advocate of entire servers being one large faction that the player automatically joins when he/she joins the server and has the option to leave.
So sortve like the neutral faction in the factions plugin?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes, except they would actually be part of the faction.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:32 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Yes, except they would actually be part of the faction.
Who would lead this faction?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm a fan of letting individuals do a lot of things. I think one person should be able to command quite a lot of ships simultaneously, for example, using a more RTS-like interface in a command ship. Conquering a world should be a task for a couple of people, I suppose, but lone wolves should definitely have their place.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Kzin wrote:I'm a fan of letting individuals do a lot of things. I think one person should be able to command quite a lot of ships simultaneously, for example, using a more RTS-like interface in a command ship. Conquering a world should be a task for a couple of people, I suppose, but lone wolves should definitely have their place.
Oh yes, I agree with ships running like that. But I mean more along the lines f getting to that point, research, building and all that.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:38 am

Well if you put a bunch of people in the same faction it doesn't mean they gonna play as part of that faction or that they will accept some sort of authority, meaning neutral factions will only be factions by name.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 am

My opinion:
I think it's best to at first really require several/many players who form a faction to get anywhere near space and reasonable mid-tier technology. As soon as some kinds of empire, cities and economy have formed, jobs and niches for players, who rather stay for themselves, open, and the technologies of the empire* they happen to be part of would be in their grasp over proxy. Lone wolves should be able to somehow acquire a ship when the main faction already has a fleet, by purchase from them, contract reward or something like that, but no one should be able to actually build as one person starting from scratch. Though, such players could maybe have some villagers do a few tasks, but even then it should be several times harder than just joining a faction.

*one thing that should be pointed out is that an empire is not necessarily a single faction.
Someone could be part of an empire, as civilian or whatever, but still have neither any superior non-public technology at their proposal, nor any heavy responsibilites as the members of the core group and its branches.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.