Post yer RPs here.
Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112
Re: Andromeda Six

Post by Solar112 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
solar112 wrote:Faction Name: The Solar Stratocracy (I've decided this is what will become of The Solari Empire)
Size: .5
Military: 3
Population: .75(?!)
Wealth: 0 (Wealth is an abstract concept for our nation and it's based on the ah 'services' you can provide.)
Home planet and capital city: HP: Currently, none, destroyed in supernova. CC: SSV Solaris
Other Data: Pretty much dead, confined to a moderately sized fleet.
How is your military three? Is your species capable of cloning itself four times in battle?
I didn't read...

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:35 am

So a fleet, that just arrived from somewhere? Ok... you will have to expand later, but accepted for nkw.

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:So a fleet, that just arrived from somewhere? Ok... you will have to expand later, but accepted for nkw.
Yeah, i guess... I'll expand on their story later

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Abstract. The system is meant to allow flexibility and freedom, not to have every eventuality and detail ever covered.

Rules lawyering will probably resu.t in a Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies.
so there is no relation between actuality and the point system. gotcha.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 pm

If you want a rule for everything, you're perfectly free to write your own system.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:58 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:If you want a rule for everything, you're perfectly free to write your own system.
It's not even a rule. If the points don't represent an actual, standard numerical value then... wha?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:24 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Icelandic Perehelion wrote:If you want a rule for everything, you're perfectly free to write your own system.
It's not even a rule. If the points don't represent an actual, standard numerical value then... wha?
They don't need a number value. Everything is based off of systems owned so in the end you don't need an accurate number.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Shadowcat wrote:They don't need a number value. Everything is based off of systems owned so in the end you don't need an accurate number.
... You should know how many systems you own... I do at least... while most aren't technically under my rule (outposts, research bases/stations, etc), I do have quite a few. Last time I made an effort at it I had exactly 24 systems that we'd declare war over (even though we don't really own them), then 17 others that are acceptable losses, our current systems 'owned' are 9 which are really just the core of the Expanses. I'd put those 33 (50) into my apps, but I like writing walls of text as much as I love reading them.

TL;DR: If your size isn't your size, then what is it then?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Sorry, what? Size is number of systems that the empire currently controls.

Unless you were attempting to make a joke about... size.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
They don't need a number value. Everything is based off of systems owned so in the end you don't need an accurate number.
You should at least have a gross estimate of your faction's population, and the amount of points should reflect that. Population could be one of the simplest transitions, just have one point = 1 billion people.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I put to you, why does it matter? It's abstract because the Commonwealth will have up to 250 million on a world, but (ex.) NeoRome might have more than a billion, so it's just to give the rules a basis. Mainly because tying it to a number limits what one can do with their faction's backstory.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I put to you, why does it matter? It's abstract because the Commonwealth will have up to 250 million on a world, but (ex.) NeoRome might have more than a billion, so it's just to give the rules a basis. Mainly because tying it to a number limits what one can do with their faction's backstory.
Isn't your backstory the driving force of your numbers rather than the other way around... ?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:49 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I put to you, why does it matter? It's abstract because the Commonwealth will have up to 250 million on a world, but (ex.) NeoRome might have more than a billion, so it's just to give the rules a basis. Mainly because tying it to a number limits what one can do with their faction's backstory.
So then the Commonwealth would have .25 pt/world and NeoRome would have 1 per world... And what vinyl said.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 am

And where does this leave me with my fleet?

Error

Post by Error » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

In dire need to babies, solar. Unless extermination by _some faction_ seems a good alternative.