Generic Empire Role-Playing System

Post yer RPs here.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Generic Empire Role-Playing System

Post by Error » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:00 am

GERPS. Yes, I am unimaginative.

It is assumed here that "turns" will be anywhere from 24 hours RL to 1 week RL.
Section One, Empires
Spoiler:
I've seen discussions arise about how to measure such things as size, wealth, military strength, and population of an empire for RP purposes. I'll try to work upma system here:

Size, a number which states the number of inhabited systems. This includes everything from city worlds to tiny research outposts.

Wealth. This represents money, resources, and labour costs when completing projects. An empire generates 5 points of Wealth per Population point. Prices for various projects are up to a GM.

Military. An empire, on average, will have 10 percent of its popukation enlisted or commissioned. 1/10th of you population points equals your military. For every 2 points over 10 percent, you lose 1 Wealth.

Population. Given the diversity of planets and settlements, this can get complex. For every Size point, an empire gets 5 Population points. Where these people actually live is determined by the empire player. More than 5 per Size causes Overcrowding, the effects of which are determined by a GM.
Section Two, Diplomacy and War.
Spoiler:
To make things simple and enable game masters to keep track of things, diplomacy is acted out in an RP style, but War is more in depth. War has the following rules...

Turns. Both players will, in a spoiler, state the actions of their production efforts and the actions of their fleets, with No One reading the spoilers except the GM. Said GM then determines if a conflict arises. If so, he will ask both players to post the actions of the conflicting fleets, in spoilers, then judge the points and tactics of both to determine a winner. If a draw results, the GM may declare both fleets at 50 percent losses and retreating.

Fleets. This is a group of spaceships serving together. Force composition varies, so a points system is implemented:
(Note: The point cost is also how much Wealth a ship costs to build.)
Frigates, Corvettes, and Destroyers are worth 1 point each.

Cruisers, Battlecruisers, and any cruiser-hulled vessel is 2 points each.

Battleships, Juggernauts, and other such vessels are 3 points each.

Dreadnoughts, carriers, and the like are 4 points each.

Supercapital ships, such as Supercarriers and Titans, are deployed according to the GM's wishes.

Fleet sizes have a limit, determined by the GM, to suit the situation.
Fleets take time to move, and the GM must be informed of where a fleet is moving from, and where it is moving to.
It is assumed that if a Fleet is unopposed, they may drop infantry and armor and capture a planet freely. How long this takes is decided between players, or by a GM.
Section Three, Common Sense and Balance

When Roleplaying, one must bring a sense of balance to the table. The systems here, while simplified, are meant to allow freedom is creating and playing empires. Common sense must come into play - as in, one frigate cannot kill a squadron of cruisers, planets used solely for militaries will be very hard to capture, and other such things.

Sugestions for rules and feedback can be posted - I am constantly looking to improve GERPS.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Re: Generic Empire Role-Playing System

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Alright il bite. However I'm confused on the stat part it seems like the only thing I control is size. Or are those just guideline points? Say I want my empire to be vast but lower on population am I forced to have five pop points or can I have only say 3? Or the opposite what if I want a few planets with a lot of pop?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Size is a common thing among empire RPs, so I tried to base stuff off that. I guess you could lower Population without any effect other than a smaller military.

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:05 pm

For? This is a ruleset, not an RP.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:For? This is a ruleset, not an RP.
...isn't that rather pointless then?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
It's kind of a framework to build RPs upon.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:
It's kind of a framework to build RPs upon.
Then shouldn't it just say "Requirements are: 1.Space 2.Imagination"?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:25 pm

It's for those who like playing RPs with more than just godmodding.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:53 am

It's a start and step towards standardization, which is good, but still needs to be refined and added to. For example, a size point for a system containing 10 billion people is worth the same as one with only a station colony and doesn't take into account the density. It could be size of territory or inhabited systems, major systems, etc. Really, the only way to solidly mend the size system is to make people list each planet they own, which is just a ridiculous thing to ask.

There's really no good, fair way to treat battles in a text/turn-based PVP RP. A dice system bred with tactics would be best for battles, each player gets a turn to formulate a tactic and a dice roll to determine effectiveness. Maybe they choose a target for each ship (or battlegroup/fleet in large battles), then a dice roll for each. Victory would be decided by the dice roll, DnD style. The number needed for victory would be dictated by the amount of ship points and whatever the GM gives as a tactic bonus.

Make someone else work it out I'm not the Empire guy.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 am

I don't think the NavCom Roleplay augmentation system has even been mentioned here yet, I assume?
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied