Child's Play.

Post yer RPs here.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: Child's Play.

Post by Error » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Markus dropped into the game world. Looking around, he took in hismsurrounding, and then checked to see if his coding worked.

Okay. The rifle wasn't here, nor was the armor, nor was the interface unit..but the pistol was, and the mimetic skin. Well, seeing as he could see ground through his feet, he assumed the cloaking worked. Drawing his pistol, he set off towards the city, hoping to find a waynto mess with the game code directly.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 am

Jesse thought for a moment.
"Eh, I guess you're right. Easy quests like this never give any good loot anyways, and it should always be possible to do it once we've finished the.. I guess this is the tutorial?"
They passed through a guard room on the way out. No guns, but some tazers and pepper spray.
"This should be useful if we meet hostile players or more sentient NPCs. I wish we could find some guns and backpacks though."

Once outside the building, they started heading towards an area where Jesse was sure there'd be some kind of hunting store, where weapons, backpacks, sturdy clothes and other gear would be easy to find.
Jesse saw some shadows moving in the.. well, shadows, and raised his golf club.
"Get ready, there seem to be more than just one or two this time" Jesse said to Yarxn.
The first smoke creature attacked, and Yarxn quickly killed it with his axe. Another jumped at Jesse, and was finished off with a few swings.
"Damn, I'm going to need something better than this.." Jesse said to himself.
The remaining creatures, somewhere between 4 and 6, jumped on the two all at once, but also they were finished off more or less without any problems.
"They are still no problem, but they are starting to get harder." Yarxn said. "You sure there'll be a gun store?"
"A hunting store, yes" Jesse said and nodded. "And here it is, as promised."

They went inside. It was a mess, but at least a mess of usefull stuff. Rifles, pistols, backpacks, tough clothes, boots.. In short, they had found a treasure chest, assuming the things were in a good condition.
"Go ahead" Jesse said. "Take what you want."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:52 am

OOC: JESIS CRISHT it's the second wave!

Everyone's accepted that just joined. I don't have time to write an intro for each of you, so just start however and wherever, preferably near Unrada since it's currently the center of action. I wasn't able to post because I had papers and stuff to write for school today and yesterday, and my compy shut off and I lost what I was going to post, so I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Continue.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:TERRA
IGN:Saber_Darkheart

Post by Wolfe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am

I looked around as unseen bonds released me, I was outside of a city cloaked in darkness. Perfect I thought. I checked my back, my sword was there, wrapped in white bandages, old but still useful. I adjusted the belt over my chest and ran towards the city, the best way was to find a small abandoned building to hide out in and keep moving until I found something else of interest. I would stay to the shadows and hopefully not run into any other players, npcs were easy enough to deal with and I preferred to stay alone. I had no idea what the higher ups were thinking when they threw me into this game, but I was going to do my best to stay alive. As I began to enter the city, two dark creatures appeared before me with red eyes and malicious grins. Something like smoke was radiating off of them and they were partially see through, that was my first test, shadows on steroids, this would be easier than I thought. With one fell swipe, I took them both out and they disintegrated into ash, thus began the challenge of the game.
Building civilizations and creating history with my bare hands ;D.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 am

OOC:

Okay back on track here.

Still going to introduce the two new characters I had planned.

Name: Petra Ral

User Name: Petrol

Species: Human

Skills: Skilled with a blade and three-dimensional maneuvering apparatus, has knowledge of the game.

Personality: Kindhearted, but withdrawn due to a decade of surviving in Reverie.

Misc: Petra and Marcai are virtually inseparable.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Name: Marcai Vahllandinin

Username: Modern Samurai

Species: Human

Skills: Nearly unparalleled skill in hand-to-hand and free running, power of luck.

Personality: Tends to deal with the world with aloof indifference or bitter menace, honor-bound and calm even under the threat of death.

Misc: Marcai and Petra can usually be found on the western side on the continent, in the 1800s Japanese-style city of Hanakuro
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

BIC

Sprite's form manifested hundreds of kilometers distant, within a small, underpopulated tea house. In a darkened corner sat a male figure, unblinkingly staring at a steaming cup of liquid. She would deal with him later. A few tables over, three people sat, two expressions of the game- simple NPC AIs- and one female player. The three each held a hand of playing cards, one of the NPCs dazedly held a slender opium pipe. She drew on it, exhaling a wispy cloud of smoke. The other glared at her and caught sight of Sprite, then hurriedly urged the intoxicated character out of her seat and into the back room of the tea house. The veteran player disappointingly watched as the doorway slid shut and tossed aside the playing cards, taking a quick sideways glance at the man sitting in the corner booth before turning her attention to Sprite, who had donned more appropriate attire for the setting and was sitting down at the opposite side of the table. She cast a slightly apprehensive smile at Sprite.

"Petrol--"

The woman's smile dropped slightly and raised a hand. "Please, Petra will do."

Sprite absentmindedly stirred the tea that the NPC had left, remembering the past conversations in which Petra had asked her not to use the username she had chosen nearly a decade ago. "Sorry, it's been a while since we last talked."

The smile returned to Petra's face. "Mhm, a few months." The suspicious uncertainty that she unsuccessfully attempted to hide in her expression crept into her voice. "Uhm, why've you come after so long?"

Sprite paused, deciding whether to be direct with the situation or to try a more persuasive tact. Better not to sugarcoat it. No time to waste, anyway. "Petra, there's an... aberration in the game."

Petra sighed, accepting that her suspicions were true. "Aberration? Like a rouge NPC? Or Naega? I thought you suppressed it well enough last time."

"No, no expression of the game, nor Naega. I think it's a virus that's metastasized through the firewall protocols. It's corrupting the game's analogous programs. Right now, Unrada is its target."

"And you can't drive it out so you've come to us." She cast another worried glance at the slumped male figure.

"Yes. It would corrupt me. You two were my first choice, I'm not sure if there are any other players as skilled as you in handling these scenarios."

"And it's stripping off the city's external layer of code?"

"Yes. I think it's trying to get to the old networking conduit that the city represents."

"And you need us to make the conduit unreachable?"

"Yes. I believe that the simplest way to block the network hub is to destroy the game analog."

"You want us to destroy the city."

Sprite nodded.

Petra looked down at the table, at the hand of playing cards, a straight flush. She was always quick in her decisions, even with the minimum of information. "Fine. I'll do it."

Her quick decision making was often balanced out by her other half, who, for the first time since Sprite entered the tea house, sat up from his slumped position and spoke. "Absolutely not." He rose from his position and strode to the table with grace that was unbefitting of his large stature and the cramped environment of the tea house. "We've finally gotten to a comfortable point, Petra. How could we gamble that now, after only a few months of peace?"

"Marcai..." Perta rolled her eyes. Marcai had, undoubtedly, already used that argument several times before. "This is important, it's more than just our happiness on the table, its all the other players, Reverie itself." She looked to Sprite. "Right?"

Sprite nodded again. "Yes. if the virus spreads into the core network it would have access to all programs. It could kill everyone, all of the players, me, even Naega; it could isolate the players, separate them forever; it could do anything."

Marcai's stone expression faltered slightly when Sprite said that the players could be isolated from each other, but it returned in an instant. "Petra, Sprite's come to us before with things that turn out to be insignificant, just needlessly endangering us."

Sprite glared at him at the mention of their past escapades, but it slowly turned to an apologetic expression as she remembered some specific examples.

He turned to Sprite and spoke. "You said that you're not sure of it's strength, it could just be a... passing instance. Like Naega before he was suppressed."

"I'm sure of the danger of this one. It was kept under observation for a decade, all the while spreading, waiting for a time to strike. It's intelligent, plotting. Not mindless like the rogue NPCs, and not unpredictable as Naega was."

Marcai began to speak again, but was interrupted by Petra. "Marcai, I'm going to help whether you want to or not." She looked over at him, expecting an answer.

He stared blankly for a long moment, then sighed. "Fine, if you're so bullheaded."

"Good, we'll leave immediately." Sprite said, quickly rising from her seat. She reached out to the players, grabbing them by the shoulders. The room swirled around them and disappeared.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wolfe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

The corruption was apparent...
I had just entered the city and didn't like its vibe, already I had been ambushed by more of those shadow creature things and already, in the center of the city I saw a warped and distorted...skyscraper maybe? It didn't matter, what did matter was that the building was slowly decomposing, black and purple wisps irradiating out of it, increasing as the fractures in the city's base code got bigger, something told me that it was a terrible idea to be here. I kept my sword drawn and walked through the wrecked streets looking for whatever I could find, there was nothing; merely paper that would've been useful had I had flint and steel. I was unsure how real this game was actually going to get, how much in reality it had been based off of. My ears twitched, trying to pick something up and my tail danced around me slowly, there was nothing save for another wave of shadow creatures. I was really getting tired of these things, they weren't dropping anything useful and were merely a bother to me. A shadow flew by overhead and I quickly dived into an alley with nothing save for an old and decrepit man. He looked at me with grey eyes and I was curious as to if he was one of the npcs or something else entirely, it was hard to tell. I tried to communicate, but to no avail, so I just ignored him...that was my mistake. As I peeked out of the alley, I noticed a shadow rise up from behind me and I was staring at the ugliest creature I had seen yet. It was black with pulsating purple light and sharp...fangs? It was hard to tell, after all it was merely just a shadow, but I smirked anyways.
"You're move." I said.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 am

The massive behemoth was nearing the city.

Parallax had decided that the infestation was good in nature, but it wasn't the right course of action. Not by a long shot. Hundreds of monitoring programs told him that his nemesis, Sprite, was amassing an army to fight it, and by extension, himself. Self-preservation routines were kicking in. He needed to destroy this section of himself before it was too late.

In a few minutes, he would reach the heart of the city. Already, the behemoth was striding over the outskirts of the city, crushing buildings and scattering the monsters that infested the city. A few players shot at him, and the massive shield-generators protecting his core body shrugged off the shots. He ignored them.

As he reached the river that separated the metro area from the uptown area, a massive, droning roar emanated from the massive quadruped. The mechanical roar, similar in composition to a foghorn, could be heard for kilometers outside the city. It shattered windows and collapsed the weakest buildings. The shadow creatures scattered as the clouds were momentarily broken, and Parallax strode over the river and headed directly towards the corrupted area, now growing very strong, smashing through skyscrapers and collapsing buildings as he went. He charged weapons.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am

Tyyr had arrived at the edge of the strange area around the strange, shimmering skyscraper a while ago, but opted to watch for a while. Now, he heard and saw something massive coming towards it. Tyyr took off, and began to rise above the city. Though the clouds were likely full of the strange, dark, ash-birds, Tyyr felt he could likely handle them and observe the monster. Tyyr wasn't stupid; this was some anomaly in the system. He flew higher, above its height and away a little. A few of the ash-birds attacked, but were dispatched quickly with the spear. The monster issued an earsplitting roar, causing Tyyr to lose his balance momentarily.

Tyyr noticed the creature continue, faster now. He began flying closer, noticing an energy shield around it. The creature, breaking down towers and trodding on the city, approached the strange tower.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wolfe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I had just finished off the monster...I needed a better sword. Every time I had hacked off one of its limbs it had grown back and smiled at me menacingly, like I was dinner...okay maybe I was dinner for it, but that still didn't make it any less frustrating. the key was to hit its core and once that had gone, it was done for, just in time for a louder slightly more menacing...thing to come in. It was made of metal, had energy shields and bullets bounced off of it...just another day I guessed. The clouds were clearing up and I could see that it was dusk, my favorite time to travel. i looked one last time at the machine, headed to the center destroying buildings and crushing the occasional player unfortunate enough to get in its way. As i was about to set out, i heard an earsplitting mechanical sound and the high wine of energy weapons being primed.
Time to get the heck out of here.
I wrapped my sword, strapped it to my back, readjusted the belt and set off at a brisk pace towards a field...bad idea considering there was no cover, but it would be easy enough to strafe across and cover a large distance in a short time. Looking back behind me, i saw the machine one last time as bolts of purple energy destroyed the central skyscraper.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am

OOC: Okay I have these next few parts planned out. Everyone just play write along. Also I've found some theme songs to go along with posts that have relevant names and themes so I'm kind of excited about that (most of it is Homestuck ST). The next chapter will be named 'The Guardian' and will begin... whenever I say it does (after one or two more of my entries). Spoilers.

E: Derped on the song.

BIC:

Petra

The sound of a sudden decompression echoed off of building walls as petra shot one of her 3DM equipment's grappling cables. She was reeled up off of the street by the mechanism and shot another cable as the first one released. Adding the thrust of the compressed air jet affixed to her midsection to the ascent, she climbed above the skyscraper's rooftop and alighted on its edge. She looked down into the streets and adjacent buildings.

Sprite hadn't said exactly how she planned to destroy the city, nor did she specify the nature of the conditions and enemies. The setting wasn't that bad, though, and so far the shadow creatures hadn't been that difficult to do away with. Just a scouting operation, to see what adversities lay farther towards the city center. Look onwards, always look onwards...

Petra spotted two rather large shadowed figures lumbering through a wide street a few blocks away and jumped off of the building, using her 3DM apparatus to shift her motion in the direction of the giants. She swung up until she was level with the top of the first creature's head. She launched her grapple into its neck as it raised its arm to swat her away. She dodged the behemoth's hand and struck its shoulder with her foot, kicking off toward the back of its head. She attached one of the blades stored in the 3DM's compartment to the handheld control mechanism and drew. Before the colossus was able to crush her against its neck, she plunged the blade into the back of its head and ripped it out of the side of its neck, partially beheading it. She knelt on the beast's shoulders as it fell forward and began to disintegrate. She ascended to the top of another building instead of finishing off the second creature, enough time wasted. A sliver of movement above the rooftops caught her eye. She began to swing her way to it. She looked down and saw a figure watching her.

Marcai

The creature growled, a quiet rasping sound befitting of an ash apparition, and sprinted at Marcai, who was standing roughly ten meters away. Lazily sidestepping the attack, he drew one of his katanas from its sheath and swung it into the area beside him. He continued walking as the creature's torso and legs fell into two separate piles behind him. He looked upward, shielding his eyes from the stinging ash, and saw a figure being gracefully pulled along through the area between buildings by grappling cables. There was a movement in his periphery, too close to simply sidestep it. He crouched and defensively held up a sword as the beast brought one of its appendages down upon him. Before it could retract, he drew his other sword and slashed its arm off at the shoulder, then diagonally bisected its torso. He ran in the direction that Petra was headed.

Sprite

Sprite stood in her position at the edge of the city, in the high grass, basking in the somber mood imposed by the overcast. She was unable to directly observe Petra and Marcai's progress, but she figured that they had at least made it halfway to the city center. Far enough. She dragged herself out of her melancholy and held her hand to her side. In it appeared a wide, metallic, briefcase-like capsule. She had planned on giving it to Petra when she returned from the scouting op, but it was apparent by the sound that emanated from the city a few minutes ago that time was short. She prepared herself to enter the corrupted pit of Unrada.
Last edited by cats on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:54 am

The behemoth's sensors were going off, warning of players- and sprite- entering the city. Time was running out, fast.

Parallax was very close to the corrupted city center. His weapons were charged and he fired. Swaths of the corruption were disintegrated under the particle beam, and the corrupted skyscraper shrieked in agony. it was a large, air-distorting shriek, and the city visibly shook with the wave. Parallax fired again, crushing a car in his way. The skyscraper began to shimmer before melting completely. Another shriek. And out of the corrupted abyss rose a massive monster, half-machine and half organic. It rivaled the quadruped in size. The monster roared and blocked Parallax' repeated shots with it's arms. It then reached out and swatted Parallax- the behemoth was pushed back several feet, and lost shields.

The monster grabbed one of Parallax's legs and began to pull it towards him, toppling the quadruped. In desperation, Parallax activated vocal circuits and flailed madly, attempting to loosen the monster's grip.

"SPRITE!" It cried out, reverberating throughout the city. "ASSISTANCE!"

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Why is writing so hard?

BIC:
Jesse and Yarxn were halfway out of the city when everything shook for a second.
"We better hurry up and get out of here" Jesse said, as shrieks and roars sounded from somewhere deep inside the city.
They started half-jogging-half-running towards the edge of the city. Running wasn't easy when you carried a rifle, a pistol, and a backpack with gear and supplies.
The ash monsters were increasing in size and numbers, but it was easier killing them with pistols than with a golf club.
"I'm at 16" Jesse said, looking around for more monsters.
"Bullshit" Yarxn said. "You've only shot 7 times."
"Big ones count as two."
"I'm at 19, then"
"I call hax"
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wolfe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:46 pm

The skyscraper had melted, there were shrieks that seemed to be coming from the very city itself and then a half machine, half organic behemoth rose out of what was left. I was sitting in a field and resting, once again bad idea, but I thought it would be safe enough. As a breeze stirred up the grass I saw the behemoth grab the quadruped by the leg and start to tear into it.
A voice rose above all others, not quite mechanical, but not quite...well, I didn't want to say human. "SPRITE! ASSISTANCE!"
I was curious as to see who would win, but I couldn't stay for long. Darkness had fallen completely and I looked into the menacing woods, it was going to be a cold night.
The first thing I noticed when I finally entered was the complete and utter silence, the only sound was my footsteps which seemed to echo off of the trees. I crouched down and lightened my step the best I could, but still the occasional twig would let everything within the vicinity know of my presence. I drew my sword-there had to be some way to upgrade it-and then continued on. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow move past me with lightning speed, it was going to be a long night...

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 am

OOC: "We will not go quietly into the night." Prepare your anus for the textwall

BIC:

Petra

The sobering crunch of ash underfoot was lost to Petra's brisk jog and the screaming of the falling tower as she made her way across another rooftop. She ignored the growing sense of apprehension as she gauged the threat of the mechanical quadruped. It seemed it had its hands full with the disintegration of its apparent target, but that was nearly complete, she would need to act quickly. She fired her 3DM grappling cables at the beast's torso. The pneumatic barbs glanced off of the surface, at a joint where they should have easily penetrated. Energy shields. Annoying. She moved to the corner of the roof and crouched, deciding it was best to wait for a more opportune moment to strike at such a powerful enemy. Below her, a figure wielding a slender blade skidded to a stop in the street.

The whine of the colossus's weapons came to an abrupt stop, replaced by another, peculiar- but equally deafening- sound. Petra turned to see a gargantuan figure rising from the depths of the chasm created by the quadruped's weaponry. It attacked, the air around the mechanical behemoth rippled and cracked; the shield snapped around it and withdrew. Now was the time. She fired her 3DM grapples again, at the joint of the leg by which the pit-creature was slowly dragging the quadruped. It struck a softer component, which offered a good hold. With a gust from the air jet, she arrived at the knee. She kicked off of the metallic surface, causing her path to shift to a more angular one, while arming a small demolition grenade. At the back of the knee, she embedded her swords into the soft components, felt them give under the pressure of the blade. She continued through her circular path, but before she was out of reach, she tossed the grenade into the cavity that she had just created. It detonated just as she reached the other side of the knee, damaging the points that held the kneecap plate on the mechanism. As she landed, she kicked the plate off of the leg and threw a second charge into the joint. Avoiding the pit-gargantua's hand, she jumped from the unstable appendage and fired a grapple at a nearby skyscraper.

Something struck her from behind.

Marcai
Spoiler:
Marcai watched as Petra damaged the quadruped's leg, knowing that he could do nothing against it, but trusting her experience and intuition, as he had learned to do over the last decade. Equally helplessly, he watched as she was lost in the contraption's flailing. He stood, dumbfounded, as her body tumbled past him, bouncing on the street once before vanishing into an alleyway. His jaw trembled in disbelief. Her skills were honed to perfection, nothing like this could actually happen, his worries had always been nothing but needless fears. This was ridiculous.

He dropped his sword as he scrambled after Petra's body. She was slumped against dented dumpster, crimson streaks decorated its bent front side and the ash-covered concrete below it. Marcai slowed and fell to his knees before her crumpled frame. Still in a state of panicked, confused shock, he could only ball his hands into fists over her. As he came to his senses, a sobbing whimper escaped him. A hopeful thought entered his mind, he slid two fingers under her bloodied jaw. A second passed. Nothing. Another one. And another, still nothing. Not accepting, he began to violently tremble as he lifted her from the face of the dumpster and lied her flat on the concrete. He began chest compressions, desperate to acknowledge anything but the fact that she was gone. A minute passed. He felt a rib crack under the strain, which initiated a renewed round of sobbing.

He felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Marcai."

Sprite

Sprite entered the city, not once but several times simultaneously. Her core manifestation she placed near the city center, as near as she dare go to the corruption. The multiple instances opened her to the residual corruption, however. She felt the nuclear weapon in her hand. She doubted that Parallax would be entirely destroyed by it, even if it was delivered directly to its quadrupedal core.

She stood over Marcai and the broken remains of Petra. She laid a hand on his shoulder, trying to stop his attempt at resuscitation.

"Marcai." She said in what she meant to be a comforting tone. When he didn't stop, she allowed a slightly sharper, more stern edge into her vioce. "Marcai."

He didn't acknowledge her presence. She applied a slight pressure to his shoulder, forcing him backwards. He complied without resistance, rolling backwards and covering his face with his forearms.

"I'm sorry, Marcai. I'm so, so sorry." A tear rolled down her cheek and her voice caught on her last word as she regarded Petra's corpse.

Marcai emerged from his sorrow and looked at Sprite from between his hands. "You." His voice was empty of the malice that she had expected. "You... You can fix this. You can fix this, right?" He had the tone that reminded Sprite of a hopeful, naive child.

Sprite's silence was enough to cause Marcai to recede back into himself. After a pause, she spoke again. "Marcai, please. We need you... I need you. I can't stay for long here." He didn't emerge, but she could tell that he was listening. "She died for a cause, fighting. Do you want her death to have been in vain? Please, pull yourself together." Sprite put her hands on his shoulders and shook him as she pleaded. "For her. Do you want her fight to go unheeded? Do you want her to be forgotten, do you want her memory to fade along with the rest of us? Marcai. Get up. You have to fight. Fight, Marcai. Fight for her. For all of us. Please." Tears streamed down her face as she finished her delivery. "Please."

Marcai looked up at her. The look in his eyes told her that he accepted her pleas, but also that this would be his final battle, that this moment would be the last that she would see of him. She looked over to Petra's corpse, noting that she hadn't had a chance like this to say goodbye. But Petra wasn't a warrior, at least not like Marcai. Petra fought for different causes and for different people. Marcai fought for one thing alone: Petra. And now her memory, her right to not be forgotten. Warriors can only say goodbye.

He had nothing else.

"Get up."

Marcai
Spoiler:
Marcai slowly strode out of the alleyway after Sprite had left. Alone, he carried the briefcase that had been left after her evaporation in his left hand, Petra's blade in his right. On his side, he kept his katana in its sheath. Around the hilt of the katana was wrapped a chain necklace that Petra had always worn. He walked dutifully, one last mission to complete. One last defeat, one last victory.

On the case was a digital timer, which Sprite had set for three minutes. That wasn't necessary. Marcai had erased the digits and entered 00:10. Ten seconds. Just enough time to live, just enough time to take in the last of existence, enough for a farewell. The titanic creatures were still struggling in the city center. He ignored them, the crashing of the Quadruped's flailing appendages that had caused Petra's death, the pit-creature's roaring attempts to drag the mechanical monstrosity down with it. Pointless. No reason to live other than death. The only things in the entirety of Reverie to Marcai was he, Petra, the bomb, and his final objective. He pressed the button that started the counter, drew his katana, and closed his eyes.

Only ten more seconds of mourning. In that, he found peace.

Sprite Copies

Because she was unable to sustain several individual personalities personalities simultaneously, Sprite relied on a single old interaction algorithm and a scripting program. Because of this, her speech and actions were the same to each player.

"There has been an anomaly detected in Reverie that may cause some amount of destabilization. In order to preserve the integrity of the analogous environmental software, this specific area will be terminated. In order to preserve balance and fairness, I will be evacuating all players, if they with it to be so."

All of the sprite copies held out a hand to each player. The copy would transport the player to a field of tall, lush grain outside of the city. A few moments after that, a funeral would be held.

End of Chapter One.

— David Langford
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 am

With a high pitched whine, the head of the quadruped split open, revealing a barrel. As the machine was crushed by the monstrosity, the barrel glowed before shooting out a large, hexagonal structure. It pulsed purple, slightly. It exited the quadruped at an insane velocity, causing several skyscrapers to crumple, and disappeared into the sky.