Post yer RPs here.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Re: Child's Play.

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 am

Yarxn watched the strigaform immediately take off. 'Humph typical strigaform' he thought as he looked around and saw the weird smoke enemies crawling from the ground, he saw a broken two story window to the left and prepared to jump to it when he looked back and saw the human. 'Drat I'm not going to just leave him hanging, any ally is always good' he reached over and grabbed the human under his arms and sprint jumped into the window tossing the human in and grabbing the ledge before he fell out, pulling himself in he thought 'Damn that human was heavier then I thought' quickly looking at the area he saw they were in some sort of office and on the wall he spotted something which made him smile an old firemans axe case, running over he grabbed the little hammer and smashed the glass then pulled out the axe. Behind him he heard a strange screeching noise and turning around he saw one of the smoke things running at him. Reacting quickly he brought the axe up and smashed it in the face with the head of the axe, the monster spontaneously burst into smoke. Looking over he saw the human getting up.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Jesse got up, still not completely aware of his surroundings.
"This is the most realistic game I've ever played," he said, "even for a VR game!"
He walked around the little office.
"The graphics, the models.. I think this might be using models down to maybe molecular level! And the physics.."
He looked over at Yarxn, and at the little pile of dust.
"Is this office just dirty or have the enemies already started appearing?"
"The latter, some little smoke-ish creatures. Better get a weapon."
Jesse picked up a golf club that rested against a desk, and gave it a swing.
"The weapons system and the animations are pretty cool. I suspect it's scanning our minds, making up the animations from our own experiences."
Jesse looked around, and then back at Yarxn.
"Hey, where did the owl go?" he asked.
"He flew away"
"Well, we better get moving" Jesse said, opening a door. "We'll probably need to find some better weapons and other supplies."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 pm

"And I can help you there," Parallax said from no apparent source, from seemingly right above Jesse and Yarxn.

"Who the hell said that?" asked Jesse, raising the club and looking around wildly. Parallax chuckled.

"I am not a part of your world per-se, but I still have influence here. I am Parallax."

"What are you? Another AI?" Yarxn asked.

"Yes and no. But that isn't important. I need your help."

"And what is that?"

"I have been attacking this city for nearly a decade now, and I am unable to gain control over it. Those shadowy creatures are my doing." Parallax paused. Something screamed in the distance.

"And you want us to take it for you?" Jesse asked, skeptical. "I thought the quest system would be better for a game like this."

"Do not mock me, human, for I was a later addition!" The building slightly shook. "There is a data center under the city itself. Bring this object to the data center and insert it into the main port. Should you do so, I will reward you." At this moment, a small black box materialized in front of them. It hovered there, bobbing up and down as if it was in the ocean. It was pulsing slightly purple from the seams between the edges, and a large, gold protrusion sparkled from the top. The data port.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Tyyr glided over the rooftops, scanning for something. He perched on a high roof of a building on the edge of a large plaza. The plaza had a small fountain, some trees, and a few wispy humanoid figures milling around. Deciding that any action was probably better than none, Tyyr glanced around and found a medium metal stake, just long enough to be used to impale someone. Tyyr hefted it, then took off.

In the plaza, milling near the stairs to some sandbag walled, important looking building, was a wispy form considerably larger than the rest. It had dangerous looking spikes on its back and had several very solid metallic gleaming plates fused to its body. Clearly some evolved form, Tyyr decided to fly high, then away from where it was. Glancing back, he noticed the open entrance looked just right.

Tyyr turned around, now very high, and began gliding at a slight angle towards the door and monster, the metal spear clutche in his talons. He was going fairly fast now, and hoped his aim was good enough. A few hundred feet away, he released the spear, but did not flare his wings. He was fortunate he didn't; the spines on the monster's back shot out to hit the space where he would be if he had slowed. With his enemy out of projectiles, Tyyr slowed and watched. The spear, released just a few seconds before the monster fired, impacted its target with strange precision. The spear pierced the abomination through, and dispelled it into dust. Tyyr continued his gentle glide into the building, noticing a few crates with some MREs on top and an owl sized bedroll, a reward for killing this enemy.

(For future reference, Tyyr was sent to play this to try and get to some core coding or shite to try and hack into XYZ military's training programme, which runs off near identical software or something.)
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:36 pm

At the edge of the city, where the disintegrating asphalt ran into lush, yellow plains, Sprite stood, awaiting the three new players. There were many other iterations within and around the city, but her pain manifested with this specific one, a deep pain in her chest where her virtual cardiovascular muscle tissue suddenly seized in relation to a disturbance in Reverie's subsystems. She had let it metastasize for far too long, this virus. She thought she had more time to delay this appointment. Doubled over, clutching at her chest, she muttered a few curses and dissolved into the landscape.

She reappeared within a separate area of the game that was devoid of visual stimulation. She was only aware of the cavernous, grandiose architecture by the suggestion of its existence. She sensed a dais in the center of the room. The scene reeked of exuberance and neurotic, dangerous eccentricity that was indicative of only one being within the game, the entity called Naega. It itself sat on the throne atop the dais, overlooking the hollow chamber. For now, Naega's form was humanoid. It spoke in a deep, billowing voice that echoed off of the nonexistent walls.

"Be quick, this... more pleasant instance will not last long before it is replaced." Naega said.

Sprite's response carried a slightly bitter edge. "You make it seem as though you don't control yourself."

"I am R'Lyeh, this is a fleeting, ah, prisoner. Why've you come?" Inquisitive.

"An enemy- equally threatening to both of us- has been made known."

Naega pitched his voice to add a what he thought was a punch of intimidation. "'The enemy of my enemy is my friend,' though you were, too, once my enemy. You've lost enough power, though, I think, to be considered less of an immediate threat."

Sprite cut through Naega's attempt at intimidation. "Don't warp history. We were companions once, too. And you grow overly confident, you forget I'm still more deeply linked to the core."

"I forget nothing. Perhaps 'lost' isn't the correct word. You're unwilling to use what power you have."

Sprite knit her brow. "I could kill you now. You and this... pretentious disp--"

A quiet, but unstable laugh slipped through the chamber, separate from Naega's voice. "You wouldn't reset the network, I know you too well for you to use that threat." Naega's voice took on an almost concerned quality. "Have you really become so fragmented?"

Sprite sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"And still, we remain so similar, even if you were as disconnected as you wish to be, we would be the same."

"Anything we share, we share because you stole them."

Naega chuckled "'Stole.'"

Sprite looked away and sighed again.

"Why would you assume I stole what I am? It's just as likely that you gave these parts to me."

"If you had obtained them without foul play then why was my memory--" Sprite stopped herself. "We always do this. Why is it that you steer the conversation in this direction every time?"

"I'm not the only participant. Why are you being so hostile after these years of peace?" What edge that had been in Naega's voice left, but the laughter emanating from the walls continued.

Sprite dulled her tongue as well. "I would hardly call that time 'peace.'"

There was a long pause, then "I'm sorry, Sprite. I really am; I've been taking advantage of this short time. You came to discuss, ah, business?" The sourceless laughter grew louder.

"Mhm. You probably already know of--"

"The virus, yes. Which one, though?"

"Uncertain. I believe it to be subject 034, Parallax."

"Odd. I thought that the firewall protocol was keeping that one in check. We're pressed for time." Naega's figure lurched, its figure began to destabilize.

"It's had over a decade to sink its roots into the system."

A smile spread over Naega's face, eventually bisecting its head. "Ha! Worrisome, I suppose. Haha!"

Sprite looked onward silently, awaiting Naega's change of form. "Please, Naega. I'm not sure what it could do if it reaches the core programming. All of the AIs and players..."

The laughter's volume increased, it was nearly deafening. Naega's body deformed and swelled into a dark mass on its throne, the toothy grin spread across the mass, spiraling downward. "Ha! Yes, yes. I'll restrain it." The spiraled jaws opened in a thunderous roar of laughter before melting into the throne. The luminous teeth slid down the seat and burrowed through the floor, tearing a hole in it. The environment deflated and tore away from Sprite, who was left standing in the field where she was before her heart attack.

She checked her watch.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Deep in the heart of the city was a massive skyscraper, a dizzying conglomerate of steel, concrete, metal. The glass windows sparkled in sunlight, as the building was not enveloped in the cloud of ash that permeated the rest of the city. And it was untouched, completely free of any damage, destruction. The shadow creatures that roamed the rest of the city disintegrated when they neared it, and the ash was swept away.

Without warning, the sunlight began to falter. Several windows shattered, and the glass fell onto the streets below. The building slightly shook. The ash cloud enveloped the tower and darkened, to a deep, dark black, pulsing with the occasional purple. Massive cracks raced from the bottom of the skyscraper and branched out, enveloping the steel frame. These cracks were pitch black, unable to be seen through, and emitted a faint, purple light. Several other pieces fell, and began to glitch out. The skyscraper model began to distort and crackle, showing the digital code that allowed for it's existence.

The cracks slowly began to spread into the street, very slowly, but surely. It was being pushed back. The entire game around it was fighting the corrupted tower.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Jesse took the item, half expecting it to be put in some kind of inventory. Instead he just stood there, holding it in his hand.
"Meh, I don't like it when games get too realistic. You can have good and semi-realistic inventory features in VR games too, just look at Fallout: Nuclear Winter, not to mention-"
He was abrupdet by the building shivering a little again.
"All right, all right, I'll just find a backpack or something, sheesh.." Jesse said, rolling his eyes.
He looked at Yarxn.
"Let's move, then. From what I know of cities from this age, as well as.. personal experience, we should be able to find some useful gear somewhere around this area."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Name: Fenris

User name: Skar

Species: Skytherian

Skills: excellent swordsmanship, limited psychic abilities (not that means anything to VR)

Personality: distant, a drifter. Slow to trust others.

Backstory: grew up on the streets of Skytheria during the Maverick wars, family was presumably destroyed by Maverick units, and Fenris was wounded during a brief struggle. Joined the Skytherian resistance group and was trained as an assassin, however was later reassigned to virtual warfare. Upon the dissolvement of the resistance group after the [Redacted] event, Fenris discovered Reverie.

Misc: could totally kick Zero's ass in a swordfight

Image:
Spoiler:
Music:
Spoiler:
Guess what! Another megaman track
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:27 am

Sprite

Sprite stood silently, a soft breeze buffeting the grain around her knees, her expression grim as she watched the corruption spread from Unrada's center. The city had once been analogous to one of the more important data networking sites, and, even though it was in decrepit condition (replaced by other cities as the years wore), it could still be used as a conduit to the more important programs. It was also a significant quest area, not that that mattered much anymore. She, herself, could not enter the city, lest she be corrupted along with its decay.

New Player entering game

Fenris Skar

You enter the game outside of a city, in an expansive field of grain. Beside you is a woman, human, with a bluegreen crest of feathers in the stead of hair. She has an indifferent, almost mournful look about her. You are unable to inquire as to your whereabouts, however, as you seem to be unable to control your body aside from looking around. She scans you with eyes the same color as the grey cloud fringe around the darker swirl that casts a shadow upon the city, then looks away. She speaks quickly in a matter-of-fact monotone, as someone that has no time to speak does. "Skar. High-level swordsman. You've not chosen the best of times to join. Three other new players are within that city, Unrada, undergoing their trial- their first, ah, quest, as it were. Normally, I would administer one to all new players, but given these circumstances that I have no time to explain, I instead simply implore you to use your skills to..." She pauses and sighs, crossing her arms. "Just don't die." She pauses again, then gives an obviously forced smile before retreating into the ether in a swirl of neon green particles. You are released from your bonds. The tip of a simple, thin rapier is stuck in the ground beside you.

Sprite

It's unlikely that Naega would make any move directly against the entity now, or anytime in the near future. But in order to prevent a breach, some move needed to be made soon. The easiest way to keep something out is to eliminate the path in.

Unrada must be destroyed.

But she couldn't do it herself and it was unlikely that Naega would be in a form that allows conversation, the only option was the remaining veteran userbase.

OOC: Two new characters incoming next entry.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:TERRA
IGN:Saber_Darkheart

Post by Wolfe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Hope I'm not too late.
Application
Name: Inigo

User Name: SilverFang

Species: Human-Wolf Hybrid

Skills: Increased senses, speed, strength and endurance

Personality: Very quiet, prefers to travel at night and untrusting of others and a little on the reckless
side

Backstory: Inigo was a successful expirement of the government's attempt to create the perfect soldier.
As part of his training, he was sent into the game in an attempt to hone his mind and skills.

Misc.: He was trained to fight as a soldier, so he has experience with guns.
Spoiler:
Building civilizations and creating history with my bare hands ;D.

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Image:

Name: Lucas Vinicius

User Name:Witness1

Species: Human

Skills:

S.P.E.C.I.A.L

Personality: Unknown

Backstory: A real gamer. Played many games and searching for a more powerful experience than the outdated Oculus Rift of 10 years ago,he managed to get this game.

Misc.: very iventive,has a strange mind disorder that makes his mind very...unpredictable.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Yarxn followed Jesse out of the room and into the bowels of the skyscraper. On the way out he noticed a hat stand with a fedora on it, snatching it as he walked by and dusting it off he placed it upon his head and found it fit perfectly only pushing his ears over. After searching the floor for a while and only running into two more of those shadow creatures they decided to hea upstairs to the next floor. While walking up Yarxn said to Jesse:
"We should probably just ditch this quest and head out of the city"
"Why?" Said Jesse
"Well we got our first quest from that welcoming AI so this is probably just some useless secondary quest to waste time" Said Yarxn.

*throws reigns to Daynel*
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 pm

From a long distance, the massive, mechanical behemoth stood still on the top of the mountain. It was trained on the city itself, watching the black cracks and the distorted models spread through the streets. By now, it had covered the small plaza that had surrounded the skyscraper. And the skyscraper was sinking, it's model completely unrecognizable and the ground textures missing, where nothing but darkness prevailed.

This was not part of the plan at all. He wasn't out to destroy the game world. He was out to destroy the players. Parallax didn't know why. That's what the programming told him.

But something else told him that this would destroy the players, that this would destroy all players. That was the opinion of 231 processes. The other 799 urged him to remove this corruption and limit himself to the constraints of the game world.

Because he realized that he needs a purpose. He must always have a purpose. And so, the behemoth began to move. The 231 processes responsible for the corruption would be terminated. The massive, 4 legged quadruped robotic war machine began to slide down the mountain, carefully, and slowly, for it served as Parralax's main AI core. And it headed towards the city.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 am

Skar looked around, there didn't seem to be much of any importance in the grain field, presumably the city would prove to hold more useful assets, out here he was exposed, vulnerable to ranged weapons. If he could get to the city he would hold an advantage, in urban combat a gunman can be rushed, and anyone attacking him with a melee weapon would find themselves utterly outmatched, even with such a low quality weapon.

Of course, that's against other players, if Skar knew anything about cyberspace there would be several artificial beings, some perhaps in similar design to the NSCD units, of course not the same, no unit would ever come here, but this was too a disadvantage, Skar had learnt how to combat droids, but his skills were geared more towards deactivating NSCD units, which worked quite differently to the rest of the machines that would be present.

He use the rapier to cut a path through the grain field, making his way towards the city.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 am

Tyyr found plenty of useful goods in the crates after the boss in the plaza.

New items-
-lighter
-MRE(x10)
-basic armour with pockets
-spear
-alcohol bottles(x2)
-bedroll

These items gave him a definite edge over the other players; he had food and weapons, while the others had nothing. As he went deeper into the building, he found several blown out computer terminals, some vending machines, some cloth rags which he used to make molotovs, and several enemies. At the back of the building, he found a door that led to a stairwell, which brought him to the roof. He could see from the roof the large tower, strange light playing across it. He took off and flew towards it.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: