Unsuccessful RPs

Post yer RPs here.
Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Unsuccessful RPs

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm going to try and narrow down why RPs are fail so quickly and easily. Lets start broad.

Why do you think RPs are dying so quickly?
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: Unsuccessful RPs

Post by Vinyl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 pm

I have no idea, people like and want RPs, complain when they die, but die in the first place because people stop or the GM stops (looking at you Cats).
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Vinyl wrote:I have no idea, people like and want RPs, complain when they die, but die in the first place because people stop or the GM stops (looking at you Cats).
Ok, now tell me why do they stop?
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 pm

4 days isn't dying, I've played in a campaign where the players didn't meet/talk for 4 months, and the game is still going.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 am

Vinyl wrote:I have no idea, people like and want RPs, complain when they die, but die in the first place because people stop or the GM stops (looking at you Cats).
I had stuff to do!

Exams

and...

Stuff!

Wings is back on rail.

As for the other ones that've recently died under my Mastery, they were highly experimental.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:42 am

Well story RPs got little to no point in my opinion. The interaction with other players is limited to almost nothing and in most cases your decisions don't effect much. It is basically a large community story writing which in my experience just doesn’t work here, people don't write nor read. It is basically an activity you can perfectly do on your own just like I do.

In other words what the passage above says is that there is no gameplay in those RPs, nothing to interact with. The RPs that survived the longest in the story genre are those that kept players together forcing them to interact with each other.

The Empire RPs on the other hand are much more interesting ... and complicated. At their very core they are built around player interaction allowing you to do something that no other media was capable of achieving, this level of freedom. The main reason why those RPs failed so far is because the rules were not defined properly. The problem is that with so much freedom everyone wants naturally to be the strongest, that is why the RP should limit their powers in a manner that wont hurt their freedom. When the engagement or development rules were not defined well the RP failed.

The most successful example of an RP in this genre is the second Empire RP which could have lasted much , much longer if not for the forum falling due to the well refined engagement rules and the interesting story developments.

Oh and finally another common reason why RPs die is because the GM is missing.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 am

Iv121 wrote:The Empire RPs on the other hand are much more complicated.
Which is why I prefer the one-player-one-character RPs.
I don't like it when stuff has to be overcomplicated with stats and stuff.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 am

I prefer empire RPs.
I simply prefer painting big pictures.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

I prefer the existence of gameplay in my RPs, which is why I don't take on character RPs too often. It is true Empire RPs got high entrance barrier as that is basically a global strategy game, not everyone got what it takes to win there, however when you manage to pull off what you planned the results are satisfying ...

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Well so far all of our empire RPs have had one big exploitable flaw that nobody has bothered using yet.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Which flaw ? And the number of laws and limitation an empire RP has is wholly dependent on how you play, so rejoice proto ! The community was mature enough to never need that law, whatever you're even talking about O.o

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Iv121 wrote:Which flaw ? And the number of laws and limitation an empire RP has is wholly dependent on how you play, so rejoice proto ! The community was mature enough to never need that law, whatever you're even talking about O.o
Yeah, rule could be made in an instant
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

There's not been a format of empire RP that I've enjoyed, it's just limited enough to be uncreative and has few enough rules to be pretentious.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Well can you paly creative and remain fair ? If we all could we could have reduced the number of limitations.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 pm

When Iv is in charge, I have to research math formulae. When people who are not Fenway, Iv, or a few others are in charge, ponies have instakill god mode
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: