Fenway's Empire RP

Post yer RPs here.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Fenway's Empire RP

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am

What hope to get your hands on the gold ? Only Fen has a copy of it, and me in source code form just until all the bugs are discovered and eliminated, if you all had the decrypter it would all be pointless because everyone could just decrypt. I would happily make a server program, allow this one to connect to it and let you a limited number of decryption but I really don't have the hardware (server) for that.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am

you know, a small web-based app to provide a visual overview of the universe with representations of fleets and territories as well as some sort of integrated 'dice throwing' mechanic to decide the outcome of battles would be pretty cool.

Gee, I sure wish there was a developer with some vested interest in the RP to make such a thing, hmmmmmm
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

To roll out the income of a battle seems for me like missing the point it the RP, it allows you to employ such strategies that cannot be added via a button, a bigger variety and a space to make everything exactly as you want it to be. A map could be actually useful, automating the color coding I used in my PNG map an make a real one . Again if we could link it to the forum or use a server I could also allow it to update automatically as new things occur in the RP.
Last edited by Iv121 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

Alright. Let's run through the list; I approve of Iv's idea. It wasn't really possible until the encryption thing. So yes! That will be the battle rules.

I don't want dice mechanics. It results in situations where, you have a VASTLY stronger, faster, and overall better fleet, and yet, you were completely defeated by a few frigates. It's a case of, killed by the dice.

I will be updating the OP with the battle rules and the factions list soon. So;

Jack Root Accepted
Miraak Accepted
Princess Luna Denied (Backstory too short)
Farseer accepted, but keep in mind that, with no planets, your resources are going to be very limited
Deadly accepted
Iv accepted
Catsonmeth accepted
lightspeed denied (Backstory)

Expect updates soon.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Since I'm not on that list, I can either assume I'm still accepted from my first app, or you forgot me.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:14 pm

K, went back and fixed my backstory.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Dice rolling can encompass so many factors like spontaneously faulty equipment, etcetera..you say it'd be ridiculous for a cruiser battlefleet to be taken down by a handful of frigates, but look at Vietnam or even the first Revolutionary War. Superior tactics always win the day, but that just can't be represented in an environment where everything ostensibly operates on the honor system and almost everyone gets in a hissy fit when the outcome isn't going in their favor (from now on, can we call this Superhero Conundrum? When people refuse to accept what's going on and resort to asspulling?). At least via dice their hates falls to the dice, not transformed into accusations of bias against the GM.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm

You are the only one who develops hate aginst the GM, Tiel, so please stop.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Farseer wrote:Dice rolling can encompass so many factors like spontaneously faulty equipment, etcetera..you say it'd be ridiculous for a cruiser battlefleet to be taken down by a handful of frigates, but look at Vietnam or even the first Revolutionary War. Superior tactics always win the day, but that just can't be represented in an environment where everything ostensibly operates on the honor system and almost everyone gets in a hissy fit when the outcome isn't going in their favor (from now on, can we call this Superhero Conundrum? When people refuse to accept what's going on and resort to asspulling?). At least via dice their hates falls to the dice, not transformed into accusations of bias against the GM.

Fleet of 18 carriers, super-dread, hundreds of ships vs lone corvette.

Million to 1 odds.

Corvette wins.
Describe how you would feel on a scale of 1 to rage?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:03 pm

dice rolling would also require a way of measuring the strenght of different ship classes, which would propably b emostly manual entering-a lot of work considering everyone has his own ships.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:05 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Farseer wrote:Dice rolling can encompass so many factors like spontaneously faulty equipment, etcetera..you say it'd be ridiculous for a cruiser battlefleet to be taken down by a handful of frigates, but look at Vietnam or even the first Revolutionary War. Superior tactics always win the day, but that just can't be represented in an environment where everything ostensibly operates on the honor system and almost everyone gets in a hissy fit when the outcome isn't going in their favor (from now on, can we call this Superhero Conundrum? When people refuse to accept what's going on and resort to asspulling?). At least via dice their hates falls to the dice, not transformed into accusations of bias against the GM.

Fleet of 18 carriers, super-dread, hundreds of ships vs lone corvette.

Million to 1 odds.

Corvette wins.
Describe how you would feel on a scale of 1 to rage?
Each ship class could have a maximum variable number, fighters could be 0-1, dreads could be 0-100. Then, unless the dread is very unlucky and rolls a 0, it would win.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Exactly. That means its incredibly unlikely, but it could still happen. So even if you said a long time ago you've spent billions on insuring against system failures and sent your best commanders, you can still lose horribly.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes that is reality, but in this RP it will only cause massive frustration and the feel of unfairness. I suggest you keep the luck out as much as possible and let the tactics play out, if it is all even alright someone has to win but really he wont win dramatically, either it will be a stalemate with people retreating (BTW I did suggest to break big battles into parts on critical moments so that players can pick tactics like retreating) or both sides suffer big casualties, depends on if both go all in.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Iv121 wrote:Yes that is reality, but in this RP it will only cause massive frustration and the feel of unfairness. I suggest you keep the luck out as much as possible and let the tactics play out, if it is all even alright someone has to win but really he wont win dramatically, either it will be a stalemate with people retreating (BTW I did suggest to break big battles into parts on critical moments so that players can pick tactics like retreating) or both sides suffer big casualties, depends on if both go all in.
Yes, there is a reason we have tactics in place and not dice rolling.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Fenway, do you still need me to GM?
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: