Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: The Periphery

Post by Error » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:15 pm

All new mechs and pilots accepted.
Lightspeed, be ready to get stomped. Even a light 'mech can blow you away,
you Knightmare, you.

Cats, a 50-tonner can carry 6 AC/20s no problem..only you'd have, like, 2 shots per gun.

Korriman's Kodiaks DropShip Flaming Wreck
Planet Butte's Hold, local time 14:32 GMT

Markus glanced at his chronometer and tapped his transmitter switch. "Two minutes to drop. Alpha lance, hold position at drop zone. Bravo and Charlie lances, manuver into defensive ring. Wolf flight, launch at one minute and tear any heavy resistance apart." As his lance leaders checked in, Markus fondly patted the control panel of his Rifleman. "You'll get through it, just like all the others."

The DropShip's Captain came on the line. "One minute to drop, one minute to drop." Markus flipped on his mic. "Wolf flight, launch now!"

The 4 Stuka AeroSpace Fighters blew clear of the descending DropShip and dove towards the ground, spraying a mix of lasers and LRM at the 'mechs below.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well from what I get those things are no bigger than the things originally being gatlings that I carry there, I needed something for long, medium and close range and that thing will serve me in CQC. I saw no reason why not have those lighter cannons, cmon they don't weight more than my plasma cannon and you didn't complain about that. Besides 50 Tons is exactly a weight of a standard real life tank and those have armor much thicker than of any of those mechs, their frameworks is not just a box on legs and overall they carry quite a stuff on them so 50 Tons is quite a number already.
An AC/20 round is 203 mm, I believe. Somewhere around 15 tons per unit, very short range. I expect your chassis and engine will be around 20 tons total, so you could fit two on it if you have absolutely no armor or heat sinks or other equip at all, but you'd never get close enough to fire. I assume your plasma cannon is something like an ER PPC, so that's 9 tons. An LRM-15 pack is 7 tons (14), and an SRM-6 is 3 (6). The Grand Total for your weapon tonnage is about 60 tons. Add engine, armor, and equip. and a 100 tons is a good estimate.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Not at all, I like how you count rockets in tons, you know that thing won't be able to leave the missile pod right ? As for the launcher itself it is no more than a tube out of light metal built to hold those missiles in place. Overall the missiles will weight maximum 1 ton and that is an overkill probably. My plasma cannon is a plasma cannon that shoots hot gas, I don't think that a tube like that will weight too much either, 2 tons that is a weight of an average car I believe. The power supply for that thing however will probably weight around 15 tons which is our engine in our case (1.5 tank engine). The cannon is also not that heavy and no I don’t think that is 203 mm which artillery rounds, let's say 4 tons. Now the rounds for it are going to weight a bit - a 120mm weights 18kg so even if e assume it is 203 mm I think each shell will weight around 30kg. Let's assume I have a huge hull and store enough for a ton. Most of a tank's weight comes from the armor and whole components. The tracks for example are quite heavy. Because we are not a tank and have a slightly smaller frame and more advanced materials we can even dedicate more space for the generator/engine and for the fuel which I forgot to add - 2 tons will get you going for quite a time.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Iv121 wrote:Not at all, I like how you count rockets in tons, you know that thing won't be able to leave the missile pod right ? As for the launcher itself it is no more than a tube out of light metal built to hold those missiles in place. Overall the missiles will weight maximum 1 ton and that is an overkill probably. My plasma cannon is a plasma cannon that shoots hot gas, I don't think that a tube like that will weight too much either, 2 tons that is a weight of an average car I believe. The power supply for that thing however will probably weight around 15 tons which is our engine in our case (1.5 tank engine). The cannon is also not that heavy and no I don’t think that is 203 mm which artillery rounds, let's say 4 tons. Now the rounds for it are going to weight a bit - a 120mm weights 18kg so even if e assume it is 203 mm I think each shell will weight around 30kg. Let's assume I have a huge hull and store enough for a ton. Most of a tank's weight comes from the armor and whole components. The tracks for example are quite heavy. Because we are not a tank and have a slightly smaller frame and more advanced materials we can eve dedicate more space for the generator/engine and for the fuel which I forgot to add - 2 tons will get you going for quite a time.
Oh my god why do you write text walls when there's a battletech wiki that backs up all of my stuff? A missile RACK is the thing that launches, loads, and aims the things, contains guidance systems, and has to withstand a dead-on shot from an AP gauss cannon round. All these weapons are designed to penetrate substances that are dozens of times stronger than steel. Think of the mass of a projectile that requires the energy of the advanced weaponry to propel it just three hundred meters.

Here's the wiki.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm

I have to agree with Iv that the weights for the mechs are really high.
50 tons for a medium mech? That should be the weight of the heavy ones.
And the equipment and weapons can't weigh several tons per piece either.

And @Fenway, assuming a lance is some sort of military unit, mine is a group of 8 pilots allied to anyone allied to TechTron Industries
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Well I didn't play the game so I use my only available info source which is real life tech, and really having a missile slightly longer than your arm weight like half a car is an overkill and a big one - yea they cost like a car but they don’t weight like one :tongue:, having a hollow tube is also not that heavy either, hot gas is also not that heavy and mostly requires powerful generators which is why I have a 15 ton engine/generator. The fuel should be enough too.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Guys. 50 tons is fine for a medium mech.

If you have any queries about weights/weapons/etc., ask meh.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Spoiler:
Iv121 wrote:Well I didn't play the game so I use my only available info source which is real life tech, and really having a missile slightly longer than your arm weight like half a car is an overkill and a big one - yea they cost like a car but they don’t weight like one :tongue:, having a hollow tube is also not that heavy either, hot gas is also not that heavy and mostly requires powerful generators which is why I have a 15 ton engine/generator. The fuel should be enough too.
Yeah I understand, but let's try to keep it moderately canon to Battletech when it comes to the weaponry and such, that's the purpose of this RP.

@Daynel: A lance is like a battlegroup, but with mechs instead of ships. It usually contains about 4-5 mechs, but can go as low as 2 and as high as 10+ (your 8 mechs is a pretty large lance). The tip of the lance is usually a heavy or assault class mech, used to tank damage as the rest of the lance advances, then deal it massively close-in. Then you might have a medium or heavy to defend your assault's back, a support (heavy or med. equipped with long-range weaponry) to back the enemy into a corner or deal some damage so that the close-in guys' job is easier. A good lance might also have one or two lights for runners, scouting, or close-support.

@Error: 50 tons would fit into the medium category, yes, but we weren't arguing about that. A medium mech simply can't hold all that heavy weaponry.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Jack Root
Recruit
Recruit
Affiliation:Obsidian Fragment

Post by Jack Root » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 pm

First of all Iv shut up and listen to cat ok? I understand where your coming from here, I've never even heard of the MechWarrior games but I agree with Catmeth here A: He has proof in the case the games and the wiki B: I would assume that we are like 100 years in the future.

Second of all Where is everyone in the RP!?
Fate has a cruel sense of humor.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Fenway checked his systems, again, after the dropship was heavily shaken again. Heavy AA fire on his part. All systems were green, though a slight power short was recorded in the plasma cannon. It wouldn't be a problem.

"Warning: Engines offline," Squawked the Dropship's computer. "Critical damage sustained." Fenway flipped on the communicator.

"Looks like we aren't making the drop site," he said.

"No shit Alpha 4," replied Karl, from Alpha 1. "These tin cans can't withstand a paper plane. We're dropping now." With that, the visual systems of the Alastor came online. Fenway felt a sudden acceleration, and he soon saw the massive, grey landscape unfold below him. The dropship was trailing heavy smoke. As he watched, another missile volley smashed into it. It finally crumbled and exploded.

"There wasn't supposed to BE any resistance!" squawked Alpha 5

"Life's tough," replied Alpha 1. "*, we're nearly 15 kilometers from the drop zone."

"We won't make it there in this!" replied Alpha 2.

"Shut up and remember your training!" snapped Alpha 1. "30 seconds to landing."

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Jack Root wrote: B: I would assume that we are like 100 years in the future.
You know 100 years in the future you would think we would have developed some strong lightweight alloys; making these things lighter than modern day crap, not making a small rocket launcher weigh twice as much as a small solar system. but then we humans do have a habit of doing things like that, as a species we are utterly insane.

Also:
::Aboard the mech transportOmega::
The roar of the engines was unbearable as they screamed to maintain the ships low altitude. The pilots amplified voice boomed over the intercom: "drop in 13.75 minutes, secure mechs and prepare for depressurisation" Technicians swarmed the floor like a pack of rats, scurrying to secure the mechs for decompression. As Julia climbed the cold metal ladder to get into her mechs cockpit, she performed her familiar ritual, planting a soft kiss on the side of her mech, before climbing inside the ominous machine; "black as the death I will bring" she thought to herself. Julia sighed as she sat inside the cramped cockpit; she was tired, sick of life. Defeated, she gently mumbled "ready for drop" over the intercom.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 pm

"I'm on fire I'm on fire I'm on fire!!!"
Technicians hurried towards the burning mech to try and put out the fires.
"Juan please tell me you turned on the cooling system?" John said over the intercom
"Which button is that?" the pilot of mech number 8 responded
"Blue button with a snowflake! Is that so hard to unterstand?"
"I thought that was some sort of preparation for arctic terrain!"

A few moments later, the fire was under control.

"Okay boys," the group leader said, "It looks like we're landing. Make sure you have your weapons ready, and remember the cooling system or you'll end up like Juan. The bastard survived only 'cause he's lucky."
The ship hatch opened, giving the pilots a first close-up look of the landscape.
"And luck sure-as-hell won't save you here."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 pm

OOC: It's more like 1000 years.

BIC:
ETA: 00:00:13
Blaze was pushed up against his restraints as the boat rocked again. Holding clamps on Flame's arm and leg failed, and the mech leaned to one side. He activated his reactor and it righted itself.

"What was that? An orbital gun? Are they using orbital guns now?" Shouted A-5 across the comms.

"Shut up, Twitch. It doesn't matter! Everyone get ready for a hard one." Replied Karl.

Kakori felt a moment of intense vertigo as the broken craft fired whatever retrorockets it had left and he was fed balance data from the mech. He swept his hand over the control board, trying to find the joystick, fluttered in and out of consciousness until a sudden change in velocity snapped him back to awareness. The craft nosed downward to prevent the engines from taking the full impact. Forward thrusters thundered on full just before the ship struck the planet's rocky terrain. The mechbay doors were torn away from the craft as it scarred a long patch of the land under it.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

OOC: I dont know why i will be crushed,i am medium armor
-Unit 4325,we will be deploying in 9 minutes.

*The pilot was readying his mech,entering his cockpit*

Cecile [Operator] : Guren,system check.
Guren: Yggdrasil drive at 20%,weapons...check. Reactive armor...Check. Landspinners..check.We are ready to go.
Cecile [Operator] : Did you entered the test for the Lancelot?
Guren : Maybe. What is our mission?

*A map appears on the HUD. Its a Ghetto,where local terrorists are trying to seize control of military equipment"
Cecile: Your mission will be to search and destroy local terrorist cells. They have the support of limited ground equipment [Tanks and APCS] and light anti-mech weapons [Bazookas]. Oh we are already here...Unit 4325,engage!

*The mech descended from the Avalon airship,using his harkens with 3 more mechs. Upon descending,he activated his anti personel gun,killing some terrorists clearing the LZ*

Guren: Unit 4325 engaging.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Lightspeed wrote:OOC: I dont know why i will be crushed,i am medium armor
OOC: Because you're basically in a heavy infantry unit. I'd say I have about your mech's total weight in armor on my mech. Power armor typically doesn't fare well against mechs five time their size. If you want to stay in it, be prepared to die a quick death. If you want to upgrade a little, a Commando (25 tons) is an example of what is usually the lightest they come.
— David Langford
Spoiler: