Free Man's War

Post yer RPs here.
Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112
Re: Free Man's War

Post by Solar112 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 am

"I'll take an Aviation, if you've got the stuff for it," Vergil replied as he approached the counter.

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Darkstar Co
IGN:Lightspeed

Post by Lightspeedo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 pm

To: All Militiamen
Subject: Secondary Contact
Spoiler: Show
As many of you know, members of the Advance Destiny Precursor team made contact with dominant native species of Second Mercer several years ago, though, due to the short contact time and primitive, semitribal nature of the species, they did not establish diplomatic relations with the race. As a result, much about them is unknown. We intend to study this race, as well as the rest of Mercerian ecology, and attempt to succeed where the precursor team did not. The Foundation believes that the natives are the key to discovering what destroyed Sagittarius. We encourage you to join us.

- What a strange message. Maybe i should try my luck at that. See new things and learn more.

[Reply to the Foundation]

This is Gilliam Jones. Can i apply to join you? I can offer my skills in any way you see fit.

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Name: Gilliam "Gill" Jones
Species: Human
Fitness: 5/10
Perception: 5/10
Ranged Combat: 6/10 [Civilian grade training with firearms]
Close Combat: 5/10
Charisma: 6/10 [Worked as a bartender for one year]

Skills: Some krav maga, experienced with handguns, good with people and computers in general. Average joe with no outstanding qualities. Because of his varied work history he has many miscellanous skills, ranging from how to make good drinks to basic CQC training. A jack-of-all-trades.

Equipment: Omnisuit V (stock), Omnipack (stock), PRM-12 (stock)

Description:
Spoiler:
Personality: Usually very nice overall, he can talk about a variety of subjects with consistent articulation. Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes mean, but he's got a good heart.
He has some concealed insecurities and it's not uncommon for him to spiral into mild depression.

Backstory: Growing up a colonial, Gill had a good education with his father, a lawyer, and mother who worked in aa IT department. Being far more well-off than the average colony rat, he could afford things most people couldn't. But life was far from luxurious or rich. With no interesting qualities other than experience acquired working many part-time jobs during his formative years, he went to law school, like his father, but after two years Gill learned that it was not his calling. So he took up bartending, eking out a living at a small hole in the wall called N1RV-ANA, where they "Make drinks and change lives!" That didn't last either, though, and so ended up as a general office assistant for some no-name tech firm. When the opportunity his mundane life cam around, Gill signed on immediately.
Update of my character

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Apologies, Solar, I must have overlooked page 2 in my pained post-op stupor.

Lightspeed, accepted.

Club Fever, private lounge.
Charisma roll: 6, pass.
Ven took the ingredients from a cabinet behind the bar and quickly combined them in a short cocktail glass. He touched his ear and squinted, deepening the wrinkles around his eyes, then placed a small bottle beside the glass.
"No cherries. I'm going to use this instead." He tapped the bottle. "Nepenthebital. It's a memory inhibitor. You take it, we go to where The Man is, we give you the antidote or wait 'til it wears off, it wears off in about an hour. Then you talk to The Man. No side effects, you behave normally while it's in you - I'll even take some if it'll make you feel better - you just won't remember anything." He paused, then nodded. "I'd have spiked the drink before, but The Man wants your trust, and thinks that would've... shaken you up. Of course, the alternative is to stay here, have me keep being the middleman. But that would make The Man very disappointed." He put his hands flat on the counter and raised an eyebrow. "So, what'll it be?"

Gill
To: Gilliam Jones
Subject: Joining ADAF
We welcome all that have a taste for adventure and discovery! No need to apply (unless you want to become a research partner), though if you wish to officially join the ADAF, there is a 200 credit entry fee. The ADAF will provide transportation to the site, food, shelter, and supplies, as well as credit and payment for any projects in which you take part. If you or your organization wish to assist the ADAF, we will gladly accept and cooperate, however we will not be responsible for your health or safety. Our transport craft are aboard Andromeda, dock 2, lots D1/F3. Expedition 2 is leaving as soon as we have a full shuttle!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jeremy Rhode, PhD
ADAF Research Partner
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:07 am

Vergil contemplated his options for a moment, then decided that the benefit of he information outweighed any possible risks that taking the memory inhibitor could entail.

Vergil nodded, "I'll take it."

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm

cats wrote: Gill
To: Gilliam Jones
Subject: Joining ADAF
We welcome all that have a taste for adventure and discovery! No need to apply (unless you want to become a research partner), though if you wish to officially join the ADAF, there is a 200 credit entry fee. The ADAF will provide transportation to the site, food, shelter, and supplies, as well as credit and payment for any projects in which you take part. If you or your organization wish to assist the ADAF, we will gladly accept and cooperate, however we will not be responsible for your health or safety. Our transport craft are aboard Andromeda, dock 2, lots D1/F3. Expedition 2 is leaving as soon as we have a full shuttle!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jeremy Rhode, PhD
ADAF Research Partner
Gilliam received the message and prepared himself for the trip. After gathering the standard issue equipment, he prepared a small pack of supplies. Got extra rations, some candy and uploaded more music to the integrated music player that he carried with him. Made sure that everything was working as intended. But what if?

The "What if? " was a demon that was hard to kill. Thats why before he went to the docks he made sure to visit Horizons Interstellar shops to upgrade the equipment.

The thoght of getting lost without oxygen made Gilliam buy the EVA Oxy Upgrade for the Ominisuit and even integrate the Omnipack on it. But what if Gilliam wanted to operate the advanced equipment of the research foundation? Well. a Smartpack upgrade seems nice and cheap enough. Even got a small Safe [BV 0] installed to carry extra food and spares. And energy? WHAT IF THE ENERGY PACK RAN DRY? Trow in some Fission Cells

Omnipack V Upgrades
[Fission Cells BV 1000
[ SAFE BV 0
[SMARTPACK Bv 750]

Omnisuit V Upgrades
[EVA Oxy Upgrade: BV 250]
[Armor Plating: BV 500.]

Spare Standard Barrel for the Rifle
[BV 400]

Ammo
300 Slugs [BV 300]
500 balls [BV 0.20. per ball]

At least Gilliam could be prepared for anything.
A soldier is always prepared.

Soon he went to the appointed place to board the Shuttle. Adventure awaits!

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Vergil, location unknown.
"Waking up" wasn't quite the right term to describe Vergil's experience. It was more like he was forgetting a dream while still dreaming, or having a word on the tip of his tongue, except that the word was everything that had happened to him from the time he took the Nepenthebital to the time a large, hairy creature waved the evil-smelling antidote under his nose. About half an hour, according to a screen on the opposite wall, beside which stood Ven and two other people in armor that covered their faces.
This new room was similar to the private lounge in Club Fever, though it was even larger and much more "lived-in," with documents, electronic components, and various other pieces of junk covering the surfaces. Exotic plants formed a webbing on the walls and some parts of the ceiling, and in that web were even more artifacts, some of which appeared to be pieces of art.
Barvans, particularly the females, were notorious hoarders. They were rather rare, less than ten were registered in all of Advance Destiny's passenger logs. The one that sat opposite Vergil put the Nepenthebital antidote on the table and looked at him with one of its compound eyes, then the other. "I'm The Man." it said in a passable human voice, "Vergil Atwood. I have a proposition for you."

Continue this conversation on Discord.

Gill, Andromeda, dock 2.
Dr. Rhode was a severe-looking man with short, white hair. He always spoke just a little too loudly, and his expression only matched his cheerfully grandiose personality when he was speaking, which he did frequently, toothily, and with his entire face, as well as his hands and whatever he was holding in them. When Gill entered the dock area, Rhode was standing in the center of a small crowd, gesturing wildly toward a 3D projection of a tyrannosaur and yelling something about convergence.
"In conclusion, we have a unique opportunity to study not only the sapient Mercerians, but also the relationship of two forms of ecological dominance!" he yelled as Gill approached, "Apex predators the likes of which we rarely see save for their fossils, and apex thinkers that may be a close analog to spacefaring races. All we know is that they coexist in some kind of equilibrium. The room for discovery is virtually boundless! And the room for reward," he scanned the crowd, looking into each pair of eyes before settling on Gill's, "are virtually limitless." He said the last quietly, as if he was sharing a secret, and waited a beat before collapsing the 3D image and throwing his hand toward the shuttle. "And so is the risk! Load the boat, we have our last man! Embark in an hour and fourteen minutes!"
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Thu May 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Doctor Rhode as sure a nice looking fellow. Very charismatic. Gill could only think about what kinds of new discoveries could he make. Yes, hes not a scientist but just having his name somewhere in that team could make his life worth it. Or Gill would die as a nobody.

As soon as Rhode finished, Gill approached the doctor with a cheerful smile, the same way as a curious kid smiles.

- Doctor Rhode? I am Gill. Remember? I am with the Militia. Please, could you tell me what kind of job i will be doing?

Gill was trying to get an early briefing of the situation. One thing that he learned in his days as bartending was conversation skills. While not being the most beautiful guy in the world, could strike conversations very easily with anyone.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Dr. Rhode put his hand on Gil's shoulder and steered him toward the craft. "Of course, my lad! You and the other recruits have the most important jobs: to be the hands, feet, eyes, and ears of discovery! Ah, the dignity of labor, I do miss it. In my forties, I scaled a Barvan stinging tree with my bare hands, still have the scars, but that's a story for another time! Our first job after we secure our landing area - we don't know what we'll find, we may have to fend off some local fauna - will be to establish our shelters, laboratories, that kind of thing. Most of that's automated, though. Our first real job is to find a tribe of locals. I say tribe, but we aren't sure of their social structure yet, so we aren't exactly sure what we are going to be looking for."

Gill looked at the Doctor with excitement. Maybe he would get a chance to shoot at something, or do something heroic. The scientist spoke with so much fervor that Gill was smiling at the end. What the hell was a stinging tree anyway?
He entered the shuttle, finding a place to sit and be ready to depart, and checked the equipment and ammunition one last time.

Rhode stopped at the door of the shuttle and reached into a pocket of the light jacket he wore over his earlier generation omnisuit, pulled out a pack of 15 10mm AP rods, and tossed them to Gill. He tapped a finger on his temple and said, "You never know, my boy. You never know." before exiting.
Over the next few minutes, students, scientists, and recruits nervously filled the cabin, cargo was loaded into the ship's bay, and Expedition 2 was cycled through the dock's enormous airlock ahead of schedule.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Thu May 04, 2017 9:47 pm

cats wrote:Dr. Rhode put his hand on Gil's shoulder and steered him toward the craft. "Of course, my lad! You and the other recruits have the most important jobs: to be the hands, feet, eyes, and ears of discovery! Ah, the dignity of labor, I do miss it. In my forties, I scaled a Barvan stinging tree with my bare hands, still have the scars, but that's a story for another time! Our first job after we secure our landing area - we don't know what we'll find, we may have to fend off some local fauna - will be to establish our shelters, laboratories, that kind of thing. Most of that's automated, though. Our first real job is to find a tribe of locals. I say tribe, but we aren't sure of their social structure yet, so we aren't exactly sure what we are going to be looking for."

Gill looked at the Doctor with excitement. Maybe he would get a chance to shoot at something, or do something heroic. The scientist spoke with so much fervor that Gill was smiling at the end. What the hell was a stinging tree anyway?
He entered the shuttle, finding a place to sit and be ready to depart, and checked the equipment and ammunition one last time.

Rhode stopped at the door of the shuttle and reached into a pocket of the light jacket he wore over his earlier generation omnisuit, pulled out a pack of 15 10mm AP rods, and tossed them to Gill. He tapped a finger to his temple and said, "You never know, my boy. You never know." before exiting.
Over the next few minutes, students, scientists, and recruits nervously filled the cabin, cargo was loaded into the ship's bay, and Expedition 2 was cycled through the dock's enormous airlock ahead of schedule.

Gilliam did not think about buying AP rounds. He took the pack of ammo and nodded his head.
A soldier is always prepared.

Everytime Gilliam went out in space he felt something strange. Like butterflies in the belly, except that if something go wrong nobody would hear his screams.
"At least i have this omnisuit.." was a conforting thought for Gilliam, who recently upgraded the suit with extra oxygen and armor plates.

- Damn, this is exciting!

Gilliam darted his eyes around trying to get a look at the team composition. Was he the only one with a gun? Was there someone in charge of security?
Last edited by Lightspeedo on Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Foodery Inc products:

Foodery Inc is one of the most well known industries of processed food for Spacers. Comissioned by the military to research and develop means of granting a wide variety of meals to combat situations, many products are being adapted to civillian use as well.
Spoiler:
SCR [ Standard Combat Rations]:
BV: 50 per unit.

Being the sucessor to the MREs of old, the SCR was made with the combat energy requirements. With the development of better packaging it can withstand a myriad of planetary conditions, mantaining the food inside protected and ready for consumption for as long as possible, even resisting orbital drops.

The standard kit is composed of a main serving, two side dishes, one dessert and utensils. It has at least 25 types of packages, with recipes from all over the systems.
[The Standard Combat Ration is composed of : Warbread, a butter flavored protein paste, liquid cheese sache, powdered vegetable soup, a chocolate bar, and some spice [Salt and pepper] plus some JuicyFruit gum.

Warbread
BV: 10

A simple starch compound that has been used for many years by human spacers. Easy to mass produce, most used by colonists.

Food Pellet "SlimPil"
BV: 20 [ For a pack of 9]

The Food pellet is a small nutrition pill that can be used as an emergency food source. While not fullfiling as a real meal, it can keep you alive if no other alternatives exist.

PRO-Tain Gel
BV: 200 [ 2 charges]

A protein gel specially made to be absorbed by the skin, it can serve as a food source. It has no taste, and it was specially designed to be used with the Omnisuit system.

BasePaste "TubFud"

BV: 25

A small tube filled with flavored protein paste. The modern equivalent of canned food or protein bar, there are both sweet and salty pastes available. A cheap solution that can be carried anywhere.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Second Mercer, above Singh Island
The ride had taken long enough for restlessness to replace the team's anxiety, and long enough for most of them to find their place, with several hours to spare. More than half of Expedition 2's members were academics: three biologists, one of whom was very excited about some kind of protein, a sociologist, a linguist, a paid engineer who obviously didn't think he was being paid enough, an interstellar lawyer who also didn't think she was being paid enough, and four students. Dr. Rhode, the only "Research Partner" on board, was the resident archaeologist, but had been happy to inform the team that he had eighteen degrees when someone had asked about his field of study. "Everything a young planet hopper needed in my day!" he yelled to the cabin.

And then there was Lee, Sarah, and Veigh. Lee was the type that never took his bright orange armor off, especially when he had to walk through an arms detector with a long line behind him. But he was also the kind that was completely unaffected by bad luck, as he liked to show off his scars almost as much as his armor. Sarah Rhode was Dr. Rhode's ex wife. She was also his adopted daughter. She was also not human. She told Gil and whomever else was in earshot about her slice of legal history, how the doctor had saved her as a child, but couldn't gain legal custody, the sham marriage that sparked the outrage that caused the multi-species court case that caused the laws to change. She was still too young to have gone to a university, but she'd said the doctor had taught her much. Veigh was Sarah's keeper. A stipulation in the adoption contract required Sarah to be raised in the presence of others of her kind. The doctor, who undoubtedly had a penchant for tick on legal systems, took her kind with him. Veigh seemed aloof, only talking to Sarah, and then in little more than a whisper, but when Gill overheard some of their conversation, he realized that she wasn't speaking any language he recognized, and Sarah used the same one when she spoke to Veigh.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Gilliam never had much knowledge in linguistics. When aliens came to the bar, he let Jill handle it.

It was common for him to be a bit nervous. Even if they were flying for hours, he still was fidgeting with his fingers or playing mobile games in his Omnipack.

The team was all around strange: a bunch of nerds, aliens that he did not know too much about and boring conversations all around. For a moment he slipped out of reality, only present as an spectator. In fact, he was so busy trying to make sense of what was happening that he turned off the ankward switch of his mind.

_ I dont recognize this language. Where are you guys from?

Openly asked the aliens, not even bothering to crack out a smile. Not because of being a *, but really puzzled about the situation.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Sarah twisted the corners of her mouth and arched her eyelids into a smile that almost looked natural on her scaly, iridescent face. "It's-"
A hand clamped down on Gill's shoulder, "They're Inguas, kid." Lee said through his helmet speakers, "They don't put out, don't even try." He winked at Veigh, who gave him a blank, slit-eyed stare, and Sarah made a noise that was half giggle, half sigh.

"Oh. Nice to meet you all. I am Gilliam."

The helmet slid as his face was revealed.

"Nice armor you got there, buddy."

Orange was not his favorite, but it was a nice color overall. Gilliam loved the welcoming giggle of the Ingua. He discretly opened a small holographic screen using the omnipack, so he could do a quick search on "Inguas" trought the built-in codex.

"The language is called Preigh, and so is the place we come from." Sarah said.

INGUA (Quick results)
CLASS: SAPIENT
HOME PLANET: Owua
POPULATION: 19 Billion

Inguas are marine amphibian humanoids native to the brackish archipelagos of Owua. They range in size from 120-150cm and 40-60kg. Their skin is grey and covered in reflective scales which regulate moisture evaporation and absorption. Patches of large, iridescent scales are found on the face, neck, shoulders, and back, and play a significant role in sexual attraction. Long, tentacle-like fins, commonly mislabeled as "ears" are present on females of the species, and emerge from either side of the rear cranial ridge. The hands and feet are clawed and, most often, webbed. Inguas are primarily piscivorous, though vegetable matter and terrestrial animals are also usually included in their diet.

Like most Owuan amphibians, the Inguas lay two to five eggs in shallow pools of brackish water. Usually, half of the eggs that are laid will be unfertilized. The offspring gestate within the mother prior to birth, and hatch after several days. Immediately after hatching, the larva(e) will consume the yolk of the unfertilized eggs. Larvae lack the scales of adults, and must stay in the water for up to a year before they can begin their terrestrial life. In a natural setting, the mother will stay immersed in the water with the young for the entirety of the larval stage.

Dr. Rhode sat in the padded couch behind the cockpit, facing the rest of the expedition members. He had exchanged his jacket for an armor frame with sandy beige plating, and had acquired a long-barreled pulse rifle. The rumbling of descent had silenced him several minutes ago, and his faced had relaxed into its steely, pensive mask. He looked younger when there was no smile to deepen the creases on his face. If his hair wasn't as white as it was, he might've passed for middle-aged. Sarah and Lee were both staring at him, and the rest of the team was either taking nervous glances out of the shuttle's windows or unsuccessfully trying to yell profanities over the din. Eventually, the noise quieted, then stopped, and the team members who had been screaming received blows and harsh rebukes from the rest.

A speck of a land mass appeared on the horizon, and grew into a chain of islands - one large mass surrounded by smaller ones. The shelf around the island became visible, then white beaches and thick jungles the color of emerald and sapphire. The shuttle approached a wide area of beach and slowed until it was hovering a few meters over the sand.

A smile spread over Dr. Rhode's face, and he knocked on the wall of the cockpit. "Lee, Gilliam, Chen!" he shouted as the shuttle's rear cabin door opened, "We'll be the first down! Make your way to the forest's edge and make sure you make a note of anything that looks dangerous!" A faint smell that was a mixture of ethanol, seaweed, and flowers entered the cabin. "After me!" The doctor said as he ran between the passenger benches and leapt from the open shuttle door.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:06 pm

"The inguas are interesting. Maybe i will try to search more into it later."

Quickly bookmarked that info in the computer, and waited for the descent. He was a little bit nervous, sure, but in the meantime Gilliam checked the equipment.
Loaded the common ammunition on the pulse rifle, so anything could be taken down quickly as possible.

As soon as he received instructions from Dr.Rhode, Gilliam lept just after him, taking a defensiva stance so he could better take a look at the surroundings and be prepared to shoot any threat present.
It was not..what he expected. Maybe not "alien" enough. It was like the Bahamas pictures that he saw , but on another planet. Soon Giliam started to walk to the forest edge, using the visual scanners of the Omnisuit so he could record what he was seeing. He activated the life support scanners so he could have a HUD on the current atmospherical information such as the gases present on the air or any strange chemicals. The Omnipack computer suite had enough processing power to speed up the process.

- Hey, Doctor! Do you have a Command Suite? - He said trought the comm channel.

Gilliam was not all that familiar with his equipment, at least in the way that there was no "Command Suite Connection : ON " icon on the HUD. After reaching the forest´s edge,he crouched holding the rifle in overwatch mode.