FutureCraft RolePlay

Post yer RPs here.
DeadlyMiddie
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:The Orion Imperium
Re: FutureCraft RolePlay

Post by DeadlyMiddie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:01 am

The shocktroopers cut their way through the hull of the Chariton. What they found inside was a lot of dead bodies, most mangled, but some looking like they only died a few hours ago. The soldiers gradually made their way to their objective: the classified prototype in the heart of the ship. With objective in hand, they made their way back to the shuttle, but not before they heard ghoulish screams and cackling from deep within the ship...

The research facility is 80% complete.

Research is ongoing for a new warp drive, to replace the aging drives on both military and civilian ships.

//CLASSIFIED///
The new research facility will be used to develop a new ship. This ship's sole purpose will be stealth. It will use Darkstar stealth tech. The civilian research is a cover for this.
//END CLASSIFIED//
Lead Me, Follow Me, or Get Out of My Way- General George S. Patton Jr.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Strigiforme inbound. Doubt I need to describe Strigi.

Before I start, what is the basic plotline kinda stuff? Is there an application, how big can I be, ect?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:11 pm

You can play pretty much the standard Strig. Stauros, super-shields, and yttrium are all up the the judgement of the players (everyone can post their opinions here).

On that note, super-shields are ok with me, yttrium is a bit :/ bit I can mostly suspend disbelief, but I vote Stauros is insanely overpowered. Seriously, firing across half a galaxy?

Adding you to the list.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:15 pm

I do believe Stauros is largely overpowered - however, keep in mind that it would not have been under construction yet even, as construction started in the old timeline after the annexation of the MQR by Novus, which happened in WWLO, which has been chopped off the timeline.
In terms of size, I say you can still have that uber-big faction, but you should have to deal with a lot of internal problems that arise form something like that...
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 pm

"Negative Eloysis, we've covered it and there's nothing here. Databases are fried too--we're taking the black box back to HQ to analyze it, and we're detonating the wreck once we leave."

Error

Post by Error » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 pm

"Understood, Hallix. Pulling our team out."

Eloysis wathed as the NeoRoman ship pulled back, followed by his team's shuttle. "Any further information on what this thing is?"

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 am

"Definitely a science ship and definitely one of hours. The design is strange and we have no idea why it was out here."

"Detonating charges in 5..."

After 5 seconds a series of explosions ripped through the hull, splitting the derelict into thousands of individual pieces of twisted metal. Edge of Existence scanned the wreckage several times before confirming that nothing of value had survived the detonation. There was a slight anomaly in the gravitational spectrum a distance away but it was overlooked. "Good day Eloysis, we're bugging out." The destroyer rotated to face the direction it had come from, the jump drive charged, and it vanished in a flash of light.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:03 am

I think if I redid Stauros, it'd be pretty nerfed. It'd obviously still have the ability to fry a large area's electronics, but the recharge time would be really long and it would probably have a range reduction, or at least a range vs power sliding scale, where it is stronger close quarters.

As for Yttrium, it's just a way of accomplishing things. It holds the Strigiforme back considerably, considering the rest of the universe presumably runs on cheaper and more common fuel sources. The only advantage it provides is that the Strigiforme know how to use it really well and it can do things which other stuff can't.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 am

I counter and say Stauros would be a deployable bomb-type weapon with two versions.

First: The actual bomb. This one draws all its power from yttrium and has a rather small area of effect--planetary sized or less. Still large and you have to get it where its going.

The second is a much larger Solar Stauros bomb: This one is deployed around a local star and draws its power from it to bomb the entire system using the star's magnetosphere. Both would have to be deployed and could be realistically stopped if the defenses weren't bogged down or stupid.

Basically: Give it downsides. Not an unstoppable superweapon.

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 pm

The whole 'super EMP' wasn't the issue, as Fen said, the 'lel unstoppable can kill quantum computers no matter where they are' was.

@Yttrium fair enough... but maybe rename it? I mean, yttrium is a known material with known preoperties. Phlebotinum of varying types are unknown and with wierd properties.

Julo
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Julo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Golt did not expect an entire fleet to appear on the sensors. They made sure they weren't decoys, which was the hope of Golt.
"Great," he thought,"the FTL engine is still charging, we are surrounded by unknown ships and we don't know what they're saying."
A few moments later however, he got a message from the linguistic department. They were able to roughly translate the message of the other ship and found out, that they meant no harm. At first. They just wanted to know why the Hope of Vyll had entered their sphere of influence. Or something like that. He read through multiple versions of the message, but in conclusion it didn't sound like the other ships were trying to annihilate the exploration cruiser. He ordered them to construct a message that would prove their harmlessness and explain their first reaction.
Golt opened a connection to the FTL navigation department. On the other side was a Mehandor, looking very tired.
Golt began to speak: Good to see you, Korf!"
Korf tried to suppress a yawn and answered: "How can I help you?"
"I wanted to inform you that we have performed a misjump, it seems, that the coordinates for the wormhole were not calculated correctly, however..."
But princeps, I did everything right, and my calculations say, that we are at the right..."
Golt interrupted hm:"It was not your fault, the technology is very experimental and hard to control, so it should be expected that errors may occur."
"But I calculated our current position, I swear, we are at the right..."
We can not possibly be at the right system, the prophets told us of a system, that was made for us, our second home, our Illad. We are in a system, that is already colonized and might be hostile to us, so we must have made a misjump, because the technology is too experimental.
Korf understood and answered in a firm tone:"I know, my calculations may have been right but the machine didn't translate them correctly, so we did not arrive in Illad but a system we were not supposed to reach.
"Good." responded Golt. The press story, why they were not successful and had to return this way, if they returned at all was covered.
Golt wanted to get to his cabin to get some sleep, when he received a message from the linguistic department.
"Golt we have made a message that you can record and send out in which way you may choose."
He looked at the text and went to the bridge to record the message and send it via relay probes.

We greet you, unknowns, this is the ship Esperance of Vylla. My name is Golt. We have no hostile purposes, but arrived here because of an accident. We didn't want to upset you and hope that our arrival and getaway from your ships has no negative influence on future relations we might have. We are currently recharging our Lightfast engine so that we can leave. Bless you.

Golt had the weird feeling that some of the message might look weird, but he had no other choice but to send it.
Suddenly, Julo.
"This DOES NOT help!"

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:13 am

"Sir, we detected the intruder, they have sent a message."
"Well, show me."

OOC: this is on the basis that they don't have 100% accurate translation yet, resulting in some errors.

---
We welcome you, foreigners, this is the ship Esperance of Vylla. My name is Golt. We mean you no harm, but arrived here because of an incident. We didn't want you to upset us and hope that our arrival and retreat from your ships has no negative effect on possible exchange we might have. We are currently recharging out Lightspeed device so that we can leave behind. Endow you.
---

"This appears to be a first contact."
"I would indeed say so."
"Shall I inform the diplomatic corps?"
"Naturally."
"Shall we mention their message sounded somewhat pretentious?"
"No, it was likely just a translation error."

Message to Esperance of Vylla:
You have crossed our border and evaded our patrols. We will send a boarding team to your ship to validate your claims while we wait for the diplomatic corps to arrive.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

I haven't posted because of university orientation (that was a goddamn ordeal). Before that I was at my sister's house. But I'm free now, so, if no more shenanigans happen, I'll be up and running soon.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:13 pm

- = - = -
"Are you sure about this, Commander? The resource cost is immense. The time required will be years if not decades, the-"

Markus cut off the Navy man with a raised hand. "I am well aware of the expense. I believe it will be worth it, both for us and the expedition."

"Yessir." The man made a face. "But I feel inclined to remind you this thing doesn't even have all the required technology yet. We don't have a zero point system for power, fusion lacks the oomph, and the current prototype Firestorms are too large to fit inside the design."

Markus sighed. "We're not going to build this vessel overnight. It will be built over time. Aren't the geeks getting close to a miniaturized Firestorm? And the report that crossed my desk two weeks ago about zero point systems was overly optimistic, was it?"

Ryla shook his head. "The geeks forget that containing a vacuum energy system is easier said than done, and the Firestorms are close to a miniaturized variant if you don't mind the six percent failure chance."

Markus glanced up. "As I said; not overnight. We're building a city-ship. I don't expect it to be fast, just to be done."

Ryla nodded, resigned. "They're laying out the first sections now. The engines are being disassembled for conversion into the drives. At least we've got the QI system down."

Markus smiled. "See, was that so hard? Now, shoo. We've both got work to do."
- = - = -

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:01 pm

--NeoRoman world Braxis IV--Classified Research Facility--

Professor Gordon hooked up the final power cables to the prototype brought in earlier-- many of them were a hard fit, likely owing to oxidation damage from an oxygen atmosphere. Not a problem, but still annoying. The cables connected and several lights on the side of the prototype began lighting up. He left the chamber and entered the observation area, sealing the room behind him with the blast door. The test chamber darkened and the prototype was lifted by two robotic arms on either sides, suspending it in the center of the chamber. "Beginning data connection, standby," Gordon said into the room's intercom. He sat down in front of the main console--covered in status indicators and controls--and began typing in commands. The weapon's electronics were very outdated. Five hundred years outdated. At least they had backwards compatibility. "Datalink established," he said as several screens lit up with sensor readings. Half of them were blank, detecting nothing for want of being functional.

"Evacuating test chamber." He activated several sequences and the chamber in front of him darkened, with red warning lights spinning and sounding their warning. The window fogged up briefly as the chamber door to space opened, revealing the empty expanse of space beyond. And a target--a frigate scheduled for decommissioning. "Prototype systems... green but fluctuating. Continuing with test." He pushed up on a lever and disengaged the safety protocols--an annoying beeping accompanied their deactivation. Gordon pressed a button and it was silenced. "Activating Terran prototype Fusion weapon in 5..."

"4..."

"3..."

"2..."

"1..."

"Firing." He pressed a button and the weapon's barrel glowed red. The beam itself was invisible--most electromagnetic weapons tended to be. The weapon didn't have visibility indicators yet, which was a brutal necessity to prevent friendly fire incidents. The target ahead seemed not to do anything for a moment. He considered shutting the weapon off but the data readouts told him otherwise--massive power spikes in the frigate indicating activity. Which would mean--

The armor on the frigate began glowing white-hot where the weapon intersected it. Within seconds the armor began detonating--ripping through the hull of the ship in several directions before the beam pierced through the other side and the detonations stopped. Gordon deactivated the weapon--which was glowing white from heat dissipation and on the verge of melting, according to the readings.

A fusion weapon, a lost prototype. The computer compressed the footage of the firing and Gordon sent it to command for analysis. They would have fun with this.
--