FutureCraft RolePlay

Post yer RPs here.
Julo
Midshipman
Midshipman
Re: FutureCraft RolePlay

Post by Julo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm

I might join, maybe use the Mehandor or the Gurrads, I don't know which would fit better yet.
Mehandor are basically scientist/explorer people who want to find new homes and avoid humongous wars with other empires, while Gurrads are rogues/nomads who don't have many stationary homes and basically try to grab what they need to survive and run off.
And some informations about the current tech level would be nice, so that I can write some fluff and have tech that's balanced with the current technological level :)
Suddenly, Julo.
"This DOES NOT help!"

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Well, as long as you don't try to make spacefaring jellyfish again.....

And the current tech level is, I dunno...
We have gravity generators and shields, we have energy weapons, we have faster-than-light travel, we have faster-than-light communications, we can sustain multi-system factions, we can probably shield off entire planets, given enough time some of us can probably create planet-destroying weapons, and yours truly, the possibly most technologically advanced faction, invented 3D printers that are capable of printing out buildings about 200 years or so ago, so some of the others probably have access to something similar as well.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Year is 2700, so pretty advanced but not insanely so. Think Star Trek (TNG+, essentially).

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Hey, NeoRome would like to have a word with you Daynel :|

The Assembly and the High Council today announced the final selection of the next Hierarch of NeoRome-- Gavron Fields. Fields was chosen after a rigorous search throughout the entirety of NeoRome's population, screening for attributes of personality, and experience. The selection of now Hierarch Fields marks the movement into a new age for NeoRome, a transition to the 28th century. The bar for Fields is high--every Hierarch before him has achieved great things, from the establishment of NeoRome itself by Hierarch Fenway 400 years ago to the repulsion of invading forces by Hierarch Vilian during the great Terran Contact War, to the discovery of our own point-to-point FTL and subsequent rapid expansion of Hierarch Zander, whom Fields now succeeds.

The responsibility is great--the position of Hierarch is for life, and the very fate of the entire empire rests on their shoulders. But everyone has high hopes for Fields--and high expectations for the new Era.

--Antioch Broadcasting Center--

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 am

There was a shimmer in the dim edges of the system.

Captain Dernir watched the screen as a dot lit up.

"Corhi, take a look at this!" The first mate hurried over to the Captain.

"It can't be, run the scan again." The screen flashed blank for a moment. The dot remained. "Well, let's just hope they haven't detected us yet."

"With a signature as big as ours? Get the Z-P on the line."

OOC: The Matelez was searching for colonizable planets, but stumbled upon a pre-FTL civilization. In accordance with Hexalan's first contact protocols, they've informed the Hexalani Ministry of Xenopolitics, which handles such affairs. After sending an envoy to the locals, which will be in a few days, the MoXP will issue a public statement regarding the discovery.

Also, just to clarify: Despite Captain Dernir and Mr. Corhi actually speaking Carthaic during this scene, the dialogue has been written in English for your reading pleasure. It is extremely unlikely there will ever be a case in this RP that such dialogue will not be written in English. You're welcome.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 am

OOC: Tip - if writing in English (while the speaker is speaking something else), I suggest the creative use of italics.

Dude: "I'm dude saying a thing."
Dude: "I'm dude saying a thing in Antaran."

- - - - IC - - - -
"You're sure?"

The excitable scientist bobbed his head enthusiastically. "Yes, yes! We have conducted these tests for years with no incident! If we begin production, we suspect our ships will be far improved!"

"If you can explain to me how a plasma beam will suddenly change weapon paradigms forever," muttered Argus, "Very well. I'll allow you to fit these to a ship, for further testing."

//TO: CSN MatCom, CNI WepRes
//FROM: CSN ResCom
/SUBJECT: Plasma Beams

/Seems our geeks have managed to slap together some new toys. Ask around your commanders and find one willing to plug them in; I'm setting up a live-fire test on some old hull.

Ta,
-LA Meinholl
//

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am

Faction: Empire of Macai and Qanov

Government form: Constitutional Empire

Gov. description: Executive controlled by Emperor, succession via appointment by previous emperor; legislative controlled by freely elected parliament; jurisdicative is a hierarchical system with military-like promotions based on previous performance on a superior position becoming available. Changes in constitution require agreement of both emperor and parliament. Emperor can be removed on agreement of surpreme court and parliament upon violating the constitution.

Economy: Mostly private economy, with strict regulations and government control over public services and infrastructure.

History: (rough outline, details will be included later as I think them up and they fit into the lore) Beginnings similar to OMWF, remained militarily neutral and quickly built up a large civilization in unclaimed space, first claiming systems with outposts and then colonizing planets, frequently applying heavy terraforming. They also heavily expanded their military, with their fleet counting in the thousands of combat vessels, which is evenly split between permanent defense forces and mobilizable fast-response and main combat fleets, while their ground forces number in the billions. At some point, Qanov, the first interstellar colony, was given limited self-governing rights to prevent a full-scale separatist movement to form within the Empire at some point.

Race: Macaians - this is the name they are using to describe themselves to outsiders; it is technically a nationality rather than the name of the species, but since that is what they called themselves during first contact, most other species decided to use that name to refer to them and they themselves quickly adopted that habit.
They are considerably shorter than humans, only measuring between 1m and 1.20m (depending on region) on average when fully grown. Their overall appearence roughly resembles Ewoks with a cat-like snout that they retained from their evolution from predatory animals.
Another notable, though not directly visible feature of them, is their psionic abilities, which are naturally capable of telepathic communication and some extrasensory perception.

Technology: The MQE has managed to amplify their psionic abilities with technology, giving properly trained Macaians outfitted with psionic enhancement equipment the capability of psychokinetically exercising up to ~500N of force -equivalent to roughly 50kg under Earth gravity-, with most of the energy drawn out of the equipment's internal power supply - that is for wearable technology, fixed installations allow for more applied force and often replace cargolifters or tractorbeams - however, there is a limit on how much power one being may directly handle without causing damage, with possible symptoms ranging from psychological issues up to cell damage similar to the effects of radiation poisoning. They also integrated psionic interfaces into their ships, which are designed to allow psionically capable species, like Macaians, to more efficiently operate ship systems, decreasing both total crew requirement and emergency response times. While it has also been possible to fully replicate the brain structure responsible for creating psionic power, precise aiming has proven nearly impossible, so in practice, the technique is mostly used in applications with fixed direction, such as main thrusters or repulsors. While psionics would be possible to weaponize, it has proven to be highly inefficient compared to conventional weapons except for some nieches, those being "psionic warfare" (using telepathics to reduce enemy crew efficiency) and some "shoving" weapons used in ground combat to make low-flying aircraft lose balance and crash or walkers to fall over.
Last edited by Ivan2006 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:37 am

Ivan2006 wrote:lifting objects up to ~500N in weight
How much is that in a sensible measurement like kilograms?
For all I know that could just as well be the weight of a book as it could be the weight of a library.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm

All units are to be recorded in SI/metric (you can also use your own, but his is required). Seriously, people.

@Ivan will add to the list.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:21 pm

That was Newtons and me
a) being scifi-y when taking into consideration different gravity being a thing on different planets
b) assuming y'all learnt earth surface gravity in school

for the record, Earth surface gravity is 9.81m/s which happens to be the same as N/kg because maths, about 10, which I used for my quick headcalculation with a suitable mass to lift on Earth

it is an SI unit, I was just taking the gravity of the planet you happen to be on out of the equation, since that is irrelevant to how strong it actually is, and if you buy any lifting device in an interstellar scifi setting it will give you its performance in Newtons
TL;DR: it's 50kg
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:57 pm

I'd like to contest that--especially with newtons. Given that measurement, a telekinetic would be able to push around a 5000 ton dreadnought in zero gravity or equivalent if we measure it in newtons. Newtons changes, mass does not--measure it in effective mass that can be moved and compare that to maximum force of movement in newtons.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Well, a telekinetic /could/ move around a 5000ton dreadnaught in zero-g, it just would happen so painfully slowly because of inertia that it doesn't make sense to do that.
Rephrased from "lifting" to "exercising force of"
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:13 pm

List it as lifting capacity under one Terran gravity, as well, please?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:39 pm

done
Quotes:
Spoiler:

DeadlyMiddie
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:The Orion Imperium

Post by DeadlyMiddie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:21 am

So... are we starting, or still discussing things?
Lead Me, Follow Me, or Get Out of My Way- General George S. Patton Jr.