Writing stuff down.

Post yer RPs here.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Writing stuff down.

Post by cats » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm

I've been developing the Batiss Combine and the Batii for a few years, and I've hinted at the details, but I've never really recorded many of my ideas.

The Batiel System (nothing too interesting)
Spoiler:
Batiel System
(Bah-tē-ĕl or Bah-tēl)
Batiel is a 3 billion-year-old main-sequence orange dwarf with a high energy output relative to its mass and size (K0 V). The system's habitable zone is just under one AU, resulting in a slightly shorter year on Mundesh. Most planets in the system are stripped of any atmosphere by harsh stellar winds. Mundesh, its sister planet, and the gas giant Prall are the few that retain any atmosphere.

Mundesh
(Mun-dĕsh)
A garden world and the second planet in the Batiel system, Mundesh is the homeworld of the Batii. It has a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere (31% O2, 67% N2) at 120kPa (average). The intense UV radiation from Batiel is reflected by a layer of ozone comparable to that of Earth. Mundesh's gravity is about 1.3 standard Gs, resulting in accelerated tectonic activity and a robust magnetosphere.
The planet's orbit is extremely circular, with a perihelion/aphelion difference under 1million kilometers. Despite the regular orbit, evidence of primordial, catastrophic impacts is present, including a steep orbital angle from Bateil's equatorial plane and the world's two natural satellites: Dosh and Eiennen. The axial tilt of Mundesh is deeper than that of Earth by about 5 degrees. The main rotational axis itself has a retrograde rotation equal to one stellar revolution, resulting in two seasonal cycles per orbital year. These short seasons result in a mild average climate.
Ocean covers a majority of the planet's surface, about 68%. 97% of the landmass is contained within two continents. Each span from the northern to southern ice caps. In English, the two continents are usually referred to simply as "Eastern" and "Western," though Mered is often used in reference to the eastern continent. Both continents have equatorial desert regions, two large, moderate, temperate zones in the northern and southern hemispheres, large forested regions, and polar ice caps. Fresh water can be found in abundance in rivers, streams, and lakes.

Dosh and Eiennen
(ĕn-nen)
Mundesh's first moon, Dosh, is smaller than its sister, Eiennen. The two moons share the same orbital period, as their relative position allows them to exist in a state of equilibrium. Eiennen is tidally locked with Dosh and Mundesh.
The Batii
Spoiler:
The Batii
The batii are a roughly humanoid race with predatory features. It is theorized that the batii's common ancestor evolved somewhere in the ancient southern forests on the Western continent, then spread to other regions. Due to extensive geographic isolation caused by some major event, three distinct subspecies evolved.

Western
Western Batii are native to the western continent. They are considered the most "human" in appearance.

Merekeen
The Merekeen are native to the temperate portions of Mered. This subspecies is characterized by a wide, angular face, relatively small wide-set eyes, large teeth, and a thick nasal bone plate. The overall appearance is more predatory than the Western variant: large, hunched, muscular stature; thick rib cage; long arms and legs; and a large mandible.

[placeholder]
The Batiss Combine (Coming soon to a forum near you)
Spoiler:
Pre-Combine history (All dates prior to AD 2194 are approximations)

First Era Expansion War (1760-1860)
The first expansion wars include all conflicts resulting from space exploration in the Batiel System and adjacent systems prior to the advent of second-generation Hyperslip Merge FTL drives. Habitable bodies in the Batiel system are scarce and colonies came at a huge price to the empire that established them. With Mundeshian resources quickly running out, functioning colonies became a nearly priceless commodity within the first decades of space exploration. Before the first FTL drives, most settlements were established on Dosh and Eiennen. It is generally accepted that those settlements were the theater of the first conflicts of the Expansion War. The advent of the Slip-Merge drive in ~1780, instead of alleviating the pressure of limited space, only magnified the conflicts. it was now cheaper to wage long-range war in the far reaches of the stellar plane and even on the barren worlds of nearby systems.

Unification War (1790-1822)
Conflicts in space quickly led to planetside war. Grudges and nationalistic tension on Mundesh between the five superpowers grew to all-out war. In 1789, several privately funded terrorist attacks were carried out against major cities in each of the five, as well as several smaller nations. Inevitably, the smaller nations were dragged into the conflict through alliances and imperialism. Karth was the first to use a nuclear weapon in 1815: a tactical fission bomb against a fortified Merek position. That was met by Merek's use of an augmented fusion bomb against a Karth city. Karesh then allied with Karth and detonated two fusion warheads in orbit over the Butik military capital. Aggression continued to escalate. By 1817, eleven strategic nuclear and 34 tactical atomic weapons were used in the Mundeshi theater by every superpower except for Shihe, which came to dominate the colonies in the far reaches of Batii space. The numerous smaller nations eventually recognized the threat of outright annihilation and, under the coordination of Shihe and Karesh diplomatic operatives, forged the Mundesh Batium (Unified Mundesh). The UM seized most nuclear stockpiles within the first year of its existence. Over the next three years, the UM pushed, militarily and diplomatically, Merek, Karth, Butik, and Karesh forces from the planet. The five nations retained a fraction of their original territory, the rest was taken by the UM conglomerate.

Second Era Expansion War (1860-1994)

The UM

Karesh Alliance
Formed in the decades following the first peripheral settlement by Shihe (~1760 AD) during the second era of the expansion wars, the Karesh Alliance was composed of Shihe, Karesh, and Karth.

Butik Alliance
The Butik alliance was a conglomerate of Butik, Merek, and several minor houses. It was formed prior to the Contact War (2194)

The Combine

Nations/Noble Houses
Noble Houses are the five superpowers that fought for territory during the expansion wars following the advent of the Slip-Merge FtL drive. The nations were exiled from their home planet in the 1800s by the United Mundesh (Mundesh Batium) league.

Karesh

Butik

Merek

Karth

Shihe

Minor Houses
Minor Houses are those that formed after and during the expansion wars. Most began as colonies of the five Noble Houses.

Kaal
Important People(Coming soon to a forum near you!)
Spoiler:
Karesh-Tahannen Nihen
The fifth Tahannen to take the office of

Karesh Ni

Shihe Rann
Last edited by cats on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: Writing stuff down.

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm

actual worldbuilding what
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:36 am

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

Added the following under "Batiss Combine":

Pre-Combine history (All dates prior to AD 2194 are approximations)

First Era Expansion War (1760-1860)
The first expansion wars include all conflicts resulting from space exploration in the Batiel System and adjacent systems prior to the advent of second-generation Hyperslip Merge FTL drives. Habitable bodies in the Batiel system are scarce and colonies came at a huge price to the empire that established them. With Mundeshian resources quickly running out, functioning colonies became a nearly priceless commodity within the first decades of space exploration. Before the first FTL drives, most settlements were established on Dosh and Eiennen. It is generally accepted that those settlements were the theater of the first conflicts of the Expansion War. The advent of the Slip-Merge drive in ~1780, instead of alleviating the pressure of limited space, only magnified the conflicts. it was now cheaper to wage long-range war in the far reaches of the stellar plane and even on the barren worlds of nearby systems.

Unification War (1790-1822)
Conflicts in space quickly led to planetside war. Grudges and nationalistic tension on Mundesh between the five superpowers grew to all-out war. In 1789, several privately funded terrorist attacks were carried out against major cities in each of the five, as well as several smaller nations. Inevitably, the smaller nations were dragged into the conflict through alliances and imperialism. Karth was the first to use a nuclear weapon in 1815: a tactical fission bomb against a fortified Merek position. That was met by Merek's use of an augmented fusion bomb against a Karth city. Karesh then allied with Karth and detonated two fusion warheads in orbit over the Butik military capital. Aggression continued to escalate. By 1817, eleven strategic nuclear and 34 tactical atomic weapons were used in the Mundeshi theater by every superpower except for Shihe, which came to dominate the colonies in the far reaches of Batii space. The numerous smaller nations eventually recognized the threat of outright annihilation and, under the coordination of Shihe and Karesh diplomatic operatives, forged the Mundesh Batium (Unified Mundesh). The UM seized most nuclear stockpiles within the first year of its existence. Over the next three years, the UM pushed, militarily and diplomatically, Merek, Karth, Butik, and Karesh forces from the planet. The five nations retained a fraction of their original territory, the rest was taken by the UM conglomerate.

Second Era Expansion Wars (1860-1994)

The UM

Karesh Alliance
Formed in the decades following the first peripheral settlement by Shihe (~1860 AD) during the second era of the expansion wars, the Karesh Alliance was composed of Shihe, Karesh, Karth, some Minor Houses, and the UM.

Butik Alliance
The Butik alliance was a conglomerate of Butik, Merek, and several minor houses. It was formed prior to the Contact War (2194)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

I can tell everyone's super excited about this but I might not be able to keep up with this huge demand so just hang with me and I'll keep updating.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

It's an infodump thread.

I'm not really certain what can be said beyond "Good work" or "looks neat".

Probably shouldn't be expecting hype.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:37 pm

looks neat good work
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 am

I'm not really expecting hype. You see, the irony's found in my lack of audience, not in the expectation of an extant audience to be reactive. It's very subtle, like a plane crash in a peaceful, hidden Swiss village made of soft rubber. You probably wouldn't understand, this is 400-level irony.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:35 am

The lack of audience is ironic?

You're entirely correct. I'm not seeing it.

@Batii nice to see not only humans spend way too much time fighting each other.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:35 pm

I think it's pretty neat. Thumbs up.