The MercNet

Post yer RPs here.
Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF
Re: The MercNet

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Right, now that I finally got the time to understand how anything works...

Name: Martin Vance
Species: Human
Base Character Sheet:
Spoiler:
Social: 3
Engineering: 0
Pilotry: 0
Strength: 2
Agility: 1
Medical: 0
Psionics: 0
Marksmanship: 3
Close-Quarters: 0
Owned:
Zuguthian Armed Forces Protective Jumpsuit and MK.7 Protective Nanoactive Plating (Standard issue Zuguthian infantry gear from before the robotication of their military some 120 years ago, they were sold to civilians, mercenaries, PMCs and what not after biological infantry was phased out), however only about as functional as a kevlar vest with a layer of aluminium foil due to 120 years without proper maintenance.

VA-P800C autoplas sidearm
VA-L830A automatic laser projector (nonfunctional)
A knife

Some cybernetic implants; ocular implants connected to a computing device (outdated wetware) and a simple rebreather (nonfunctional)

Equipped: All of it, it's not that much anyway, and he might run into someone who can fix it

Cash: 250 Credits

Backstory: Escaped from the still war-torn Hexalan space with a group of smugglers when he was young, with nothing to his name but a suit of armor he stole from his gun-nut of a grandfather, who had gotten it at an auction a few years earlier which cost the family a lot of their savings and caused a major domestic dispute, which combined with the otherwise miserable life in Hexalan eventually was what led Martin to run away. He stayed with the smugglers for some years before going into mercenary work after an accident involving the crime boss of an asteroid field, a laser pistol, a rare purple tortoise and 2 pounds of strawberry shortcake.
Appearance: 173 cm high, dark brown hair, generic-white-21st-century-FPS-protagonist face, slightly muscular. Has a scar on his right hand from a tortoise bite.
Song: Might add.

Also, am I reading things wrong or did Error put 6 points in his character sheet instead of 3?
Last edited by Archduke Daynel, PhD on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Still unsure if it's 'can add 3 total' or 'can add 3 to each category depending in skillset/backstory'

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:21 pm

3 total, hence "a total of 3." Yeah Error has too much, I didn't catch that. Fix it ASAP so it doesn't hold us up. Daynel I'll let the amount of equipment you have slide. Unfortunately, your rifle, most of your implants, and rebreather are nonfunctional, your ocular wetware needs an upgrade, and your nanoactive armor isn't quite as nanoactive as it used to be.

Please copypaste and spoiler your character info (stat sheet, location, owned items, equipped items) in each new entry. Makes it a lot easier.

When you organize your equipment template, spam enter so it's easier to read. And maybe organize it based on what it is. That would be nice
Spoiler:
Character

Skill Levels
Social: 8
Engineering: 4
Pilotry: 4
Strength: 4
Agility: 4
Medical: 4
Psionics: 4
Marksmanship: 4
Close-Quarters: 4

Misc Stats:
---- +4 Social (Bulge Pants).

Owned:
-Ship
-Mech
-Armor
-Armor
-Bulge Pants
-Weapon
-Weapon

Equipped:
-Armor
-Bulge Pants
-Weapon
-Weapon
^Like that^

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+==+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Ajax
The drone turned to Ajax, "Ah, hello! Recruitment centers are located toward the middle of the station along with shops, pubs, and eateries. There are currently two bands actively seeking new recruits: the Ravagers, known for scavanging, treasure hunting, and piracy as well as contractual mercenary work; and the Black Sun's Breath, which is an organization comprised primarily of experienced pilots and drivers. The transportation center is directly in front of this desk. In dock, there are currently four long-range passenger vessels and twelve short-range shuttles, as well as one transgalactic craft and twenty-six private ships. Please donate to the 'Net to show your appreciation."

Jovian
Roll for illness: 7/100. You have contracted a slight headcold (-1 social).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:00 pm

(I'll copypasta after a) equipment changes b) location changes c) skill changes, just so I don't have to mess around with touchscreen copypastas, that ok?)

Ajax nodded curtly, heading to the recruitment booths. Giving them both a look, she shook her head at the Ravagers. Bloody savages.

Glancing over to the other group, she shrugged and walked over. Catching the (dude @ the desk)'s attention, she raised an eyebrow.

'The annoying bot said you're hiring. What skillsets are you hiring, specifically?'

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Sick? Already? I should invest in immune boosters, or nanobots, or something. I'm sure they exist, somewhere. I shall compensate for my now complete social ineptitude with a generous helping of psionics.
Spoiler:
Jovian Hagr
Kylathan

Location: MercNet Hub 9, Black Sun's Breath recruitment center

Social: 0 (-1 temporarily)
Engineering: 3
Pilotry: 3
Strength: 0
Psionics: 3
Marksmanship: 1

Misc Stats: Head Cold -1 social (Temporary condition)

Owned:
-NR Captain Uniform (Stripped of everything except the identifying NR insignia)
-1x SPPC Sidearm (Small Photonic Plasma Cannon, standard NR officer sidearm)
-1x Quantum-Psionic Interface (Interface designed to allow him to interact psionically with electronics and machines, permanently grafted into his upper-right arm).

Equipped:
-Uniform
-Pistol
-Interface (Permanently grafted, cannot be removed)

As Jovian approached the desk, he began to feel a bit foggy. A bit. He must have caught something already. He cursed himself silently for not buying immune boosters when he had the chance several days ago. He would have to deal with the consequences. He didn't feel the presence of the one stalking him, but it would return. A scout, perhaps. NR wouldn't dare attack him here, not with so many mercenaries around.

He neared the center and noted a Novan, apparently talking to the recruiter. He noticed a very slight psionic pulse on him, which was interesting. He didn't see anyone else free, so he stood a bit behind the Novan, arms folded behind his back.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Ajax

(I promise I shit you not) Your (social) roll is a 1. On Ajax's last syllable, she violently coughed, spitting vile mucus all over the recruiter's brand new uniform. At the sight of his soiled clothing, he became enraged. He was restrained by two other Black Suns and Ajax was run from the Black Sun's Breath recruitment lot.

Jovian

Your (social) roll is a 17.
Another recruiter noticed Jovian at the desk and approached. "The Hub's about to close down for the cycle but If you're lookin' to put in a resume we can take a look... You alright, buddy? We don't see many kylathan around here, enough to know when they're a bit off. If you're lookin' for medical, it's up on level five."

All

The shops and most other service centers on Hub 9 will shut down in a few moments. Inns, pubs, medical, and the docks will remain open.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:27 am

Error your social mastery is glorious. 10/10 would read again.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 am

Mercury Steam wrote:Daynel I'll let the amount of equipment you have slide. Unfortunately, your rifle, most of your implants, and rebreather are nonfunctional, your ocular wetware needs an upgrade, and your nanoactive armor isn't quite as nanoactive as it used to be.
Edited application to fit this

------------------------
Martin walked up to the drone.
"Hey, could you give me some information about any private ships that would be hiring? And please exclude any ships headed for the Viegelheim sector."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:33 am

Can I fate-point my roll? Seriously, Ajax is Novan (a highly social species), her being sick is preddy unlinkely too.

EDIT: Further explanation - I feel a 'social' role isn't a normal success/failure roll. To me, social is 1 (you got the absolute bare minimum of the info you want + the other person dislikes you) to 20 (you end up besties). Because honestly, failing to ask a simple question so hard you cause violence is incedibly rare and hard to do.

That said, you are the GM.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:24 am

I'm assuming everything's digital now, unless you want a physical copy of Jovian's record of captaining an NR military ship...
Spoiler:
Jovian Hagr
Kylathan

Location: MercNet Hub 9, Black Sun's Breath recruitment center

Misc Stats: Head Cold -1 social (Temporary condition)

Owned:
-1x Quantum-Psionic Interface (Interface designed to allow him to interact psionically with electronics and machines, permanently grafted into his upper-right arm).

Equipped:
-Uniform
-Pistol

EDIT: Feel I should elaborate. A NR Record of Service is a standard document that describes the service record of any personnel who ever worked for the NR government for any length of time. It describes highest rank, position, training, abilities, and current status. Jovian's current status is described as 'discharged.' NR Records of Service, before the military takeover, were disallowed from describing reasons for removal from service and any crimes; that is reserved for the NR Statement of Disservice. Oddly enough, Jovian does not have a Statement of Disservice in the records.
Jovian raised an eyebrow at Ajax and looked back at the other recruiter. "I'll head up to medical in a bit," he said. "For now i'm fine." He pulled up his interface and sent it a small pulse, bringing up his record of service on the display. He sent it another pulse and a small stick popped out, a physical drive for physical data transfer. He pulled it out and handed it to the recruiter. "Thiss is my record of sservice with the NR military. I hope it will be ssufficient."

(At this point, await response. After response, Jovian heads up to level 5 for medical).

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:41 pm

@Error: I set it up so Novans either start with a boost in psionic or social; if you have psionic abilities, you're afflicted with psychological disorders. I'll keep the high sociability of Novans in mind and add a bit of a leveling boost to your character, so put "+Social leveling" in your "Misc." category. I'm reserving 1s for critical failures, you would have needed at least a 2 to be dismissed without consequence and around a 10 to get any useful information. I'm reluctant to add a fate point system because of our delayed format. Ajax can always try again tomorrow.

@Daynel: Alrighty, looks good.

[GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER-=-GM-BORDER]

Martin

"Ah, hello! I'm sorry, there are currently no registered transport vessels actively seeking additional crew. There are currently twenty-six private ships in Hub 9's dock. Three of those belong to Black Sun's Breath, six are owned by the Ravagers, one by The Seraph's Dragoons, two by Angels Elite, and fourteen mid-sized craft with anonymity agreements, as well as several small craft. The Ravagers and Black Sun's Breath are currently hiring. Please donate to the 'Net to show your appreciation."

Jovian

At medical, you're met by one rather impatient human medic on the end of his shift. [your social roll is a 10] He offers you some antivirals for C15.00.

[MercNet Message Inbox]
YOU HAVE 1 NEW MESSAGE!
To: Jovian Hagr [Lone Wolf]
Subject: Black Sun's Breath Recruitment

Kid, you have a pretty impressive resume here. I'm not too sure about hiring someone with no experience in mercenary work, but I'm sure we can find a temp spot for a former captain. Report to the dock tomorrow at 0900 if you're still interested. We have three ships parked at lots 4-6. Make sure you're ready to depart as soon as you get there, we already have a contract lined up.
-Greynova
[End]

All

New Bounty:
Spoiler:
-Name:Johnathan "Madcat" Robins
-Species: Human
-Height 150cm
-Mass: 50Kg
-Hair: Grey
-Eyes: Green
Wanted by: Novan Commonwealth
Wanted for: Acts of terrorism against the Novan Commonwealth
Reward: C34,000
Last known location: New Bismark (200LY from Hub 9)
New Bounty:
Spoiler:
-Name: Rikuthia Vanhem
-Species: Batii
-Height: 201cm
-Mass: 98Kg
-Fur: Brown
-Eyes: Violet
Wanted by:
Wanted for: Theft, Piracy, Murder
Reward: C7,000
Last known location: Rrodi II (40LY from Hub 9)
New Contract:
Spoiler:
Contractee: City of Hamar (210 LY from Hub 9)
Summary: Our great city has been afflicted by a rather unfortunate, very violent infestation. Two warring gangs have grown to a unmanageable scale and we require your services to cleanse our city. The current reward for the fulfillment of this contract is C3,500,000. Negotiable.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm going to assume the anti-virals are something I can use more than once. Maybe 5 times.
Spoiler:
Jovian Hagr
Kylathan

Misc Stats: Head Cold -1 social (Temporary condition, subsiding)

Owned:
-Antiviral Medication (4 charges remaining)

Equipped:
-Uniform
-Pistol
-Antiviral (Stashed inside robe/uniform)
Cash: 235 Credits
Jovian paid for the antivirals and left the medical bay, taking a few of the small capsules as he went. It would take a bit for the antivirals to take effect. He returned to the drone at the information desk, waited for a bit until it wasn't busy, then approached it. "Are there lodgingss available on the sstation?" he asked it.

Error

Post by Error » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:20 am

@Cats fair enough; I just believe critical failures a0shouldn'y be possible on something as simple as a neutral query. But aight.

- - -
Ajax flicked open her QM, checking the nanite swarm's status. No illness. What the hell?

Shaking her head, she closed the matrix and headed off towards the docks. Hell, maybe a passenger liner wanted a technician or something.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:21 am

Jovian

+1 Medical skill for successfully medicating yourself (you rolled a 12!!)

"Ah, hello! Yes, there are three operational inns that offer temporary accommodations: Newman's, The Outer Sphere, and Hub 9 Pub 9 at seventy, fifty, and ten credits per cycle respectively. I highly recommend luxurious Newman's with complimentary multicultural breakfast and cleanliness guarantee, though The Outer Sphere has a positive reputation for the... services offered. Hub 9 Pub 9 has recieved several negative reviews. Please donate to the 'Net to show your appreciation."

Ajax

A batii approaches you as you walk. She is rather diminutive in stature, wearing clothing that looked like it was intentionally chosen to be as bland as possible. "Hey, human." She rasps in a relatively quiet tone, keeping a safe distance, "Tinker toy with the knives." She tilts her head when you turn, "I saw you kicked out of the Black Sun's center; you must be new around here. That's good. I need new, someone with no reputation. How do you feel about assassin work? Might be a few thousand credits in it for you."
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm not sure how I could possibly fail to take a few pills, but i'm sure said dreaded critical failure will find a way.
I'm also going to believe head cold has subsided to the point of being irrelevant due to anti-virals now. Reasoning: This is the future. I'm sure we've created fast-acting medicine by now. if not, what kind of future is this?
Spoiler:
Jovian Hagr
Kylathan

Social: 1
Medical: 1

Misc Stats:

Owned:
-Antiviral Medication (4 charges remaining)

Equipped:
-Uniform
-Pistol
-Antiviral (Stashed inside robe/uniform)
Cash: 235 Credits
"Thankss again drone," Jovian said, and walked off. He decided on Newman's; he didn't like the sound of the Outer Sphere, and Pub 9 was right out. Besides, he was certain there would be better security there. Relatively certain.

He felt the activity behind him again, but a bit farther off. He briefly turned and scanned around- he didn't see anything that would warrant said activity. He kept a hand on his pistol once again as he walked to Newman's.