'Bout to drop

Post yer RPs here.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: Another list of species stuff.

Post by cats » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:00 pm

T.O. Bright wrote:Works. Fluff explanations may vary.

Also, I feel inclined to point out some naturally-psionic species have scarily high levels of control and power over their abilities (i.e. any Aurelian's ability to rapidly convert you into a red mist with only their brain).

Probably rare, but it does exist.
no see thats the thing you cant use a races abilities as empirical evidence for an argument about defining that races abilities
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Id point out how Psionics access a level of scarily destructive and basically act as a massive plot hole with how ridiculous they can be.

Unless we decided to apply reality physics instead of FC logic. Then it'd be fun to watch psionics incinerate themselves.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 am

Cats, the on/off thing I'm cool woth (psionic or not, pick one), but the 'all species are only capable of very small things without fancy tech' is just... eh. It makes things very bland, and provides precisely zero variety on the psionics front.

Guess how the FCRP survives? Variety.

So I'mma put my .02 CBills down and say: I, personally, would rather the level of power a psionic can wield is limited, but that limit varies depending on species and mental willpower.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Or the laws of thermodynamics. Or physics.

You can do whatever you want however moving a space ship with your mind means your going to etheir crush your brain or have to be standing on an object of greater mass to mount yourself to. Wanna incinerate people with your mind? Go ahead! But remember anything between you and it including you are going to be exposed to plasma level temperatures in the process.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm

See: "usually." There are exceptions, but they'd be rare. Psionics doesn't need to be central, having superpowerful psionics in every other race softens all of FC. I'd say one out of the dozen or so species (not counting GMOs) would be able to preform naturally with psionics better than naturally with the physical potential of their bodies. Maybe then another one or two that are telepathic and/or empathic with (possibly) heavily limited telekinetic ability.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I have to disagree there error. Psionics should DEFINITELY be limited by technology, combined with Shadow's explanation. Basically, you CAN do those things without tech, but if you do, you'll fry your brain. Tech should make it both easier and safe.

And most doesn't even have to be super advanced. A power bank to draw the energy required from is more than enough for many actions.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Bout to drop

Post by cats » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Okay, everyone. I'm going to drop this steamy RP on you soon. Probably tonight. If not tonight, tomorrow. So if anyone has any suggestions, go ahead and out them now.

I currently have Human, Novan, Trackuul, Kylathan, and Batii and don't plan to add any more.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Your use of the word 'steamy' confuses and concerns me mildly

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:32 pm

No idea what is, assuming is an FPRP that I won't participate in.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: