Post yer RPs here.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Re: Another list of species stuff.

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 am

Not to mention wouldn't that cause subspace disrupters to fuck up psionics?,I say we tie Psionics to some obscure quantum effect generated by this "structure". Perhaps an organelle in cells produces this effect and stores it? This could show why older psions are more powerful and why psions (I assume at least) can be tired out from excessive use of psionic power.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 am

Alright, how about quantum fluctuations/fields? And about the non-psionic with psionic power, I point to the artificial pattern that a species can create that also resonates. With enough knowledge, you can effectively make a fully psionic robot.

And it doesn't have to be one specific pattern, there are many. And these patterns aren't on the global level, they're on the very small cellular level, as in the neurons have to be able to fire in a certain way or have receptors aligned in certain patterns to sense these quantum fluctuations.

But the quantum fluctuations solve another issue; power. We can practically control the universe at the quantum level, due to the apparently random (and infinite) effects that may be present within it.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:17 am

Manipulation of quantum energy via neural and nervous patterns and impulses?

Works for me.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 am

Okay, seems legit.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:25 pm

That still isolates one specific mechanism, that was the main problem. There are lots of different kinds of sandwiches that are sandwiches.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Which mechanism of what, exactly?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:30 pm

The problem with multiple mechanisms is how difficult it is to get to multiple mechanisms organically, and having an overarching term of psionics for each one. It would have to be different, and plausible explanations (subspace, quantum, etc). It is not isolated to one part of quantum mechanics, however; it's the entire field and every effect in it, from the Casimir effect to Quantum gravity. There are multiple types of sandwich, yes, but they all have a similar formula for how they are constructed. In this case, there isn't one specific quantum effect that psionics work by; it's a majority of them, or all of them. Quantum probability could be the mechanism behind teleportation, or quantum gravity being the one behind telekinesis. And different neuron receptors and structures correspond to each one.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 pm

You're thinking like a game dev: "what's one way we can make this work" rather than "does this one work?" More Mass Effect than FC. Psionics is general, like, for example, FTL. We have hyperspace, subspace, slip merge, other interdimensional stuff, jump, warp, fold, wormhole, etc. etc. etc. etc.; anything that can be adequately explained based on accepted workings of our universe can be used, and all have the same basic function: to transport something faster than the speed of light. The constants are the constraints and the framework upon which all the different mechanisms are based. Psionics, unless we're changing the definition of "psionics," is the same way: a term for an end rather than an explanation for the means. If I say my character with no natural ability has a chip in her head that lets her coagulate hardlight on demand to move things around, would that be any less "psionic" than a character with natural ability (amped, of course) explained using the more fundamental quantum mechanic idea?

Returning to my example of FTL, do you really care about how my Slip-Merge system works? I'd wager no, at least not beyond the most superficial facts. If I made everyone use Slip-Merge, everyone would care, everyone would want to know everything about it in detail. The more something that's fabricated is explained, the more holes that can be punched in it. The more holes, the less willing suspension of disbelief and the less fun. A vague but plausible description is usually better than a detailed one with a few holes. Vague gets difficult when you put too many constraints on something.

Admittedly, the fundamental energies encompass pretty much everything, but therein do not lie my qualms. I think quantum mechanics is relatively solid as far as a framework goes. It's not too constraining, not too free. It's the biological component that hooks me. For instance, if there is a very specific, likely complex neurological pattern that corresponds to each mechanic, how would such a pattern evolve naturally, gradually (esp. if that ability cannot be used without the proper equipment)? Now you'd have to either fill that hole by adding more specifications, thereby risking a deepening of your hole, or scrap one part of that constraint.

I haven't gotten enough sleep today, so I apologize if all of that sounds terribly disjointed.

E: (returning to topic) Anyway we decide to do it (I think the pure, fundamental quantum is a good route) the RP will contain several varieties of purchasable psionic amps. Unfortunately, its ETA will be sometime in early December because I have to complete a project that I should have started on three months ago in ten days. I'd like to wait for a time when I can Master the Game well rather than checking the RP section every three days hoping no one has posted for fear of more work. Since we have time, though, we can iron out some more of these kinks.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:06 pm

The way I have always understood it was that it was caused by a specific combinations of genetic mutations in the body resulting in the ability of the brain to exert forces on external bodies. Some races have developed this through pure luck; they had this mutation randomly happen early on, survival of the fittest took over from there. This explains how some races might have a 50% psionic rate, for the same reason some humans have blue eyes and others have brown.

Raw psionics, without any genetic engineering or special devices, was restricted to basic things like making a small photon producing sphere, or moving small objects around. With enhancements, they become formidable abilities capable of actual combat use.

I feel like, for simplicity's sake, we should make only one type of psionic viable. Anything more, and it becomes needlessly complex. This psionic type could have a variety of abilities, such as pyrokinesis, teleportation, ect, but with the obvious specialization that comes with any ability; each person can only proficiently use one or two abilities.

What kind of RP is this going to be, a FPRP or an Empire one?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26 pm

I see what you're saying, and i'm not sure how to respond to the first part, but i'll submit a better (and simpler) explanation.

We'll keep the quantum-level manipulation, but instead, psionic ability is a consequence of sentience. Not every sentient being is developed intellectually-wise to handle this capability, so it is undeveloped and goes unused by most people. But some have the right characteristics to be aware of it and use it, tapping into the quantum energy in order to do things. The main limitation at first is power; the brain can only exert so much energy, making most bigger functions practically impossible. But there exists a relatively simple power-storage amplifier, which stores power which the brain can then use. Whatever type of storage it is (nuclear, chemical, electric, etc.), it is an essential component of any psionic.

And artificial psionic equipment taps into the same energies to project quantum effects, though obviously it is much more limited in scope and potentially magnitude than a biological (or semi-biological, in the case of sentient robots) being.

>Innate consequence of sentience, underdeveloped in most, profit.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 pm

ACH0225 wrote:What kind of RP is this going to be, a FPRP or an Empire one?
AFAIK FPRP
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:11 am

I think I have isolated the problem: not how psionics work, but how each species - which are radically different - can use psionic power when there are very few ways to do so.

I would imagine it's not genetic or neurological, it's environmental; Terra might have a wellspring of psionic power on various points of the surface, and lver millenia humans have gradually evolved to use that (handily explaining the percentages). Given the ubiquitous nature of psionics, these rift/springs/pools/whatevers of psionic energy would likely be present on a great many planets, to a later or lesser degree; hence, the Macaians are almost 100% psionic, and the Aurelia as well; they evolved on planets blanketed in a lot of psionic energy.

Because these are common and easily detectable with the right equipment / a psionic senser, they can be used to cause intentional exposure, inducing psionics over time in a species.

Thus, explaining why some human subspecies (e.g. Novans) are 50%+ psi when humans themselves are ~40%.

Environment, not biological.

That work for everyone?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 am

Actually, so far all systems seem to have their pros and cons.
Error's environment thing seems cool and could be combined with my subspace system, but Fenway's quantum psionics do make sense in some way.
On Catsonmeth's criticism on subspace psionics, yes, it is a restriction to one thing, but let us be honest here: Catsonmeth, you're probably the only one here who would call a tractor beam hooked up to neural implants "psionics". On it contradicting with subspace being neigh-inaccessible, I think that wouldn't be much of an issue considering the restrictions that come with my system: a psionic power node is not easily created and usually has to be "sparked" by another node, so simply opening an access to subspace is incredibly difficult. How psionics would come to evolve then would be solvable with Error's environment theory. Another thing is that those nodes are very unstable by default. I'd guess that typically, a large part of the energy drained from it would probably be required to keep it open.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Alright, this is simple. Everyone is trying to go waaaay outside of the necessary bounds with this.

a. Psionics is the manipulation of fundamental energy using the mind. (easy enough, yeah?)

b. Biological apparatus needed to enable psionics is complex. (as I've said, it's not as simple as eye pigment; it's equivalent to a separate organ)

c. Usually, natural psionic ability is limited to telepathy and "true empathy." Therefore, wetware is often needed to amplify the ability.

d. The natural occurrence of psionic ability in non-psionic races is extremely rare due to 'b.' (this one isn't even really necessary)

Four points that encompass most of the issue, not too difficult. Did I miss anything?
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Works. Fluff explanations may vary.

Also, I feel inclined to point out some naturally-psionic species have scarily high levels of control and power over their abilities (i.e. any Aurelian's ability to rapidly convert you into a red mist with only their brain).

Probably rare, but it does exist.