Once More, With Feeling

Post yer RPs here.
Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF
Re: Once More, With Feeling

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 am

Hard scifi is "these gravity generators work by these functions that I have described in enough detail to patent it" rather than "these gravity generators work because science".
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

notAnAlt
Cadet
Cadet

Post by notAnAlt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 am

o7 doesn't make sense

who the hell salutes with their left hand. that's plain wrong

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 am

Yeah but you can't make an opposite 7.

notAnAlt
Cadet
Cadet

Post by notAnAlt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:02 am

you're basically giving the opposite of your intent by saluting with the left though, it's a sign of disrespect

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 am

>implying the saluting guy isn't from a mirror universe where everything is the other way around

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 am

notAnAlt wrote:o7 doesn't make sense

who the hell salutes with their left hand. that's plain wrong
People who don't have a right hand?

Never knew it was a sign of disrespect though, over here it's more regarded as a display of incompetence and *.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 am

Then use <o. Problem solved.

There is a difference between "realism", "hard sci-fi", and "I can make these do whatever i fucking want because science."

I'm arguing for realism: They're not magic do anything devices, but they aren't super-extra regulated either. I only add the regulation when problems come up.

This is the EXACT reason why the RP is dying. Debates over immaterial story facts that have 'some' inherent value to gaming the system the RP has set up. I'm not arguing over this anymore. I'm out.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 am

In my opinion, the whole point of scifi is that it's fictional science, aka the SCIENCE!! kind of science, not the follow-all-the-rules-of-physics kind of science. At least to some extent.
But I agree with the whole "RP dying because some people wanna play a game, some people wanna write the story and some people wanna cheat the system" thing.
So, if I want to keep doing science and developing an utopia I have to check out the seven kingdoms forum more, then?

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 am

Probably. It will be separate from SKRP nations thing, but similar (except IN SPACE).

And that's what I mean; I'm not going for "follow all the rules science" but I am trying to go "keep it reasonable and not utterly insane." The laws of physics are more guidelines than actual rules, but they should be a basis for what is and isn't possible.

Example here: Artificial gravity is possible. Using artificial gravity to land a dreadnought on a planet is not very possible unless you put in a LOT of time, money, and effort into it.

notAnAlt
Cadet
Cadet

Post by notAnAlt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:55 am

But how do you define effort.

I mean, throughout the years that's been my biggest issue with RP.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 pm

And if you make that landing dread, that's basically all it's going to be able to do.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Effort will be defined by writing. Story-writing. As in, not just saying "I'm building this" and saying it's done some months later, but actually writing the story behind it, the specifications. This is part of the blend from SKRP. Actual storywriting.

For example, the making of the ringworld would be a lot of writing, a lot of story behind it. Designing, building, (potential) complications. It would take time too, real time (not imaginary game time). That's what SKRP does.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:10 pm

I smell a fundamental flaw there Fen. You dont define the RP problem correctly, its true its those who wanna play vs those who wanna write, but it works differently:
Spoiler:
Those who want to play expect some sort of interaction with the RP, they expect to do something and get feedback: Attack a player and get attacked back or build diplomatic relationship with a potential ally, in other words they expect to do something, they expect that THERE IS ACTUALLY WHAT TO DO. The reason most of the personal Rps failed is simply because there is nothing to do in them. Not even the story writers who just wanna make stories have anything left to do in those places as there is mostly 0 interaction between players and RP as well as players and players, it just becomes pointless. How long do you think its possible to keep writing "exposition" for a character plunked in a universe without a motivator or any possible way to progress the story ? Yes interactions are required to progress a story.

Unlike those personal RPs empire RPs have interactions built into them (though more "gaming" oriented ones are better streamlined for that). That gives the story a motivator to unfold. However those RPs mostly fail in some sort of misfit between the stories, mostly in the forum of some OP fleet that just fundamentally doesn't fit the RP universe. Whats even worse is that the offenders are rarely aware that they are ruining it all and they are perfectly legitimate RPers in fact; in their universe a fleet of 1000 cruisers is a common sight.

If you ask me stat based RPs are the way to go to solve all those problems. Those RPs are not only good for the "gamers" who actually want their protagonist to win (deep down we all want it) but also for the writers as they are making sure the stories of all participants can fit together (otherwise they are going to break at the first attempt of intertwining between em [read "interaction"] ). PPL will complain it is limiting, its only natural considering it IS in fact limiting you, not allowing you to make a 1000 cruiser army that won't fit with the rest of the RP. Does it require more work than a regular RP ? OFC, theres no gain without pain but the pain in our case is much smaller compared to the gain. On the upside you will actually THINK about what you are writing.

From all the RPs I experienced the best and the most stable ones were the stat ones. They were not only interesting gameplay wise (and most died due to reasons not related to the RP), they also gave birth to much more engaging stories with galaxy spanning conflicts and political drama and tension. Anyway in the story RPs I've experienced nobody got the balls to try and jump a nanite virus through a stealth capsule deep into stingifrome territory while circumventing deadly blockades. Just as much intrigue was born from the fact you NEVER had the whole picture available for you (like that piece of info I gave there is known only to two people including me).
OFC its too late to discuss this, I just can stand aside while you blame it all on those dispisable " gamers" who just "want to become OP and ruin the game !"
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Go have a gander at SK's RP. You'll understand.

If you can access it that is, for a community that apparently complains about lack of members they make it rather difficult to actually join.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Iv, the SKRP is stat-based.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe