Post yer RPs here.
Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma
Re: Once More, With Feeling

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Main two FTL systems are as follows, for now. Jump Drives vs. Warp Drives

Jump/Fold drives fold space to go a certain distance. Theoretically, range is only limited by how much power you pump into it, but naturally we only have a little bit of energy at the moment. Requires extensive jump calculations, but it is instant. Unfortunately, it has a longer recharge time than warp drives. Cannot be intercepted.

Warp drives propel ships at superluminal speeds. The amount of energy you pump in only affects speed; you can go as far as you want, as long as you want in a single warp jump, but you can still smash into things at FTL speeds if you're not careful. Does not require extensive calculations, but it is not instant and has a long recharge cycle. Can be intercepted.

Comparison: The Jump Drive will make a single jump much faster than the Warp drive can. But the warp drive will overtake the jump drive after several jumps.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:35 pm

I thought warp drives worked by warping space around the ship?

Anyway, do we have some degree of quantum teleportation? So you can send information instantly a certain distance?
If so: TechTron Industries have begun constructing a series of quantum teleportation relays between Technoma and Earth, and have offered to also construct relays for other nations.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm

IIRC hyperpulse (FTL) comms were developed by the Terrans some time ago.

Probably simpler to have them, I guess.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Right, they're setting up hyperpulse relays, then. Because I don't believe hyperpulse comms can go across half a galaxy?
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error

Post by Error » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:43 pm

WWLO has centuries-old ones that crossed between galaxies, so...

Essentially, a hyperpulse relay is: open small FTL tunnel (fold or hyperspace). Transmit message. Close tunnel. Works because instead of the transmission going the speed of light, it accelerates to the fastest (near-infinite) possible velocity in the FTL dimension.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Anyway time to join, But il be semi-new unlike you pokes.

Empire (Nations are for humans) name: Nivanshae Collective
Government system: Council theocracy dictatorship
Bird: Phoenix
Honeworld: Syngyn Zemlya
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I approve of Hyperpulse Transmissions.

BIC:
NR-Hierarchy has, after losing critical research installations to the Strigiforme War, has begun producing it's own military fleet to defend itself. The Jump Drive prototype has been finalized and is not being released to the market, instead being reserved for use by NR-Hierarchy.

Error

Post by Error » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Fleet S.A. has arrived over Tau Serpentis; resupplying their fuel and mining asteroids to produce more equipment.

(Meta) One of the fleet's ships, a small survey ship, is being refitted (slowly) to serve as recce and surveillance. Several fleet engineers have put forth concepts for "stealth plating" and emission sinks; command, however, has decided a stealth ship is unecessary and wasteful. (/meta)

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Fine, I'll hop on this time. I won't be happy about it.

Nation Name: Batiss Combine
Government System: Social Republican Federation (varies among member states)
If your empire were a bird, what bird would it be?: ... Red-winged Blackbird.
Homeworld or Founding Planet: Mundesh

Are we using my hyperspace/subspace/realspace dealie?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Fen sez warp drives, jump drives are the Thing ATM.

Presumably other forms will show, and you can probly have your own (given how far removed from everyone the Batiss are ATM), da?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:13 pm

The Combine would still be distanced from everyone else, so sounds good. I've always written Batiss history around interdimensional slip-merge FTL being the first and primary mode of long distance travel. It would still be rudimentary ATM, about as effective as fold or warp drives.

The hyper/sub/real-space model would be important to everyone's communications and transportation if they use anything involving hyperspace or subspace.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:18 pm

An idea for consideration:

Warp drives are the most common. Slow but efficient and cheap, they're everywhere and very dependable.
Jump drives exist in a mostly prototypical format; very power-intensive.
Slip-merge drives also exist in a sort of prototypical state, and are unique to the Batiss.
Hyperdrives are theorized, but only exist on tiny scales (such as those in hyperpulse stations). Nowhere near large enough for a ship, or even a probe (yet).

That seem good?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Re: Once More, With Feelin

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Slip-Merge? Fucking hell is slip-merge?
Why can't you people just use normal drives with logical names? Like Wormhole drive, Jump drive, Aculbrie/warp drive? Heck even ACH has pointed out how yttrium shit is basically a different design of things.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Production of exports is being cut by over 70% in favor of growing urban and industrial zones.

OOC: Exports referring to domestically produced goods that are shipped off to the Terran Union, which are mostly generalized arms equipment such as guns and vehicles plus some ships. Popularity among lower-income peoples is high due to the price/quality ratio being very good (read: Hexalani armor and kinetics).

The Exion is constituted of individuals who fit a specific genetic profile. Before and during their travel to the Pleth system, they were trained in the "most important language you'll ever learn", Carthaic. Due to the risks of rejection, they complied, with ~99% of Hexalani peoples being fluent.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:46 pm

@Catsonmeth if you mean the thing where Subspace is basically the connecting layer between realspace and hyperspace and the surrounding stuff and its implications, yes we are using those.

Also another thing for communication: subspace transmitions. Would be fairly easy to do as it pretty much only requires one to cause controlled low-energy reactions in subspace, drawback being that it's very easy to intercept and signal strenght fades with distance, kinda like an FTL radio signal in subspace. Would possibly be used for public broadcast or some civilian comms.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied