Post yer RPs here.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: What've I missed?

Post by Iv121 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 am

ACH0225 wrote:
Tiel had them drawn somewhere by an real artist.

http://fc-mod.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1278
Don't wanna be hating but that artist should probably retire ... Well I don't claim I have the best draw but that one is rather ugly in my opinion, forget creativity or making them actually feel alien all that crap, they just look bad, there's nowhere to go from there.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am

That is what Tiel requested; when held up to his instructions, it's very accurate, and considering that they are Tiel's faction, that's what they look like.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Well they can look whatever they want, Im just stating they are ugly, practically wings + heads strapped in a very poor way to a human body that is btw drawn terrifically, I doubt it was an actual painter or if it was a painter this job is not his cup of tea. Im more interested to know what YOU want from your race rather than what tiens look like, considering the demand to make it something else but human bodies with owls heads strapped to them. One positive thing I can say about my design (though its far from perfect I know) is that we recognize a bird-ish thing in it while it still looks somewhat alien to us, add some weird colors and you are GTG.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:08 pm

One negative about your design is that it isn't Tiel approved, and is therefore wrong. As for the Strig, they are(superficially) giant owls. Their innards vary somewhat in position and relative size, and they have a 6 ventricled heart.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Thats not exactly helping to draw them ...

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Use your imagination then. Imagine owl, but bigger.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Well mate its just taking your avatar over there and stretching it , thats not what we look for.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

If you really feel like drawing an owl that is externally identical to a regular owl(the only difference is that Strigiforme have 6 talons), feel free; I just reserve the right to deny its' validity.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Using the same two appendages for both walking and manipulating usually isn't the best approach. Giant owls are more fit for fantasy than any respectable science fiction, but all this talk is kind of making me want to try my hand at drawing an owl.

Generally, because too much effort is put into making a race look weird, out of place, and "alien," we have races that don't make much sense. For the same reason, we get things too close to the familiar used in odd context (giant space owls).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:07 pm

I thought strigiforme wings had flexible finger like apendages/feather things on the end?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Shadowcat wrote:I thought strigiforme wings had flexible finger like apendages/feather things on the end?
That's the Tiens. Owls use talons.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:59 am

Well by comparison we jsut proved the Tiens drawn there are invalid lore wise ! (Eat that anonymous painter !) They got nothing like that on their wingy stuff, in fact I doubt they can grab anything with those wings-instead-of-hands .

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:02 am

Iv121 wrote:Well by comparison we jsut proved the Tiens drawn there are invalid lore wise ! (Eat that anonymous painter !) They got nothing like that on their wingy stuff, in fact I doubt they can grab anything with those wings-instead-of-hands .
You see the end of their wing right there? They apparently have enough bones and muscles in their wing tips to work them like fingers.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:54 pm

I always imagined the strigiforme like the seekers from Skyrim/Dragonborn, those lovecraftian-ish things found in apocrypha. Except for the head being more owlish (As in, having a beak) and the tentacles/arms being replaced with feathers/crippled wings.
That's just my headcanon though.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:12 pm

They're owls, god demmit; it's not a hard concept to grasp.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: