Post yer RPs here.
Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK
Re: "WE" discuss RPs

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Wait, is the 'pipe fix' your program? I honestly doubt anyone but you realized that. Unless it isn't. Is it?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Am I the only one who considers Number RPs and Word RPs to be two different things?

Because if the current RP were a number RP, I would be entirely boned. Like kill my faction off without a chance to survive and never resurface boned. Because it's entirely written I can just about swing it so I don't go entirely extinct. Any stats based RP would need flexibility.

Also about the program, do an unassisted trial run, using the same mechanics you want but dealing with everything manually (might need to water things down slightly). It'll give you an idea what you are dealing with rather than merely hypothesising and arguing about it. It also give you a chance to see if your ideas are practically viable, chances are they aren't, which is the whole point in doing a trial run, means you get to revise your plans based on how they actually turn out.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Well I built it on the experience I had with the stat RPs in the past, taking what works and leaving out what doesn't, adding up what I felt was missing. Due to the fact we have a computer to help us out I can make something deeper however that will be in fact a different sort of RP, its not exactly a fix Vinyl. With that being said I have a strong feeling you will refuse to accept it , you know if there are probs we can fix em but if you refuse to accept it there is nothing I can do about it. I need to either make sure you stop rejecting stats like some sort of parasitic insects that just feeeeed on your body and soul apparently , or I need to confirm I can't stop it and then bring the development to halt. I won't be able to work on it for now anyway couse I won't be near a comp for the next month ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:28 pm

You can sit there, and worry we won't accept it, without ever actually seeing if we will. Sure, ACH probably won't, there may be a couple others, but until you try, you won't know.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Its currently unfeasible anyway as I said cosue Im just not here to do it , best I can do right now is what you see here.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

If that's the case, then don't.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm

*cough* unaided trial run *cough*
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Iv121 wrote:@ owl

Well ships don't combust randomly in battle, there is a chance ofc , 1 in 100000000, and you will prob only enrage the person that you did it to him, it feels unfair. OFC you can roll a dice if you want and adjust your answer based on it, you are the GM nobody prevents you from doing it, only reason for your story to be predictable is because you wanted it to be such. If you'd ask me I would prob roll a dice from time to time but I won't drastically alter it so that a person who was clearly not meant to win suddenly defeats the enemy, instead Id roll a dice for stuff such as the fleet retreating early in the face of the enemy abandoning the admiral's orders, this way your fleet is saved from certain doom however your positions are given out early, a mix of good and bad and the outcome is totally unexpected! It might develop a whole new situation there !
Dice aren't what I am talking about, not randomness. I am talking about the basics of tactics; maneuvering, flanking, ect. There have been tons and tons of RL battles where, statistically, one side should have absolutely murdered the other, but didn't because their leader was stupid, or some soldiers made a mistake, or just by pure luck. In a Word RP, the writer must out-think his opponent, rather than simply spam produce dreads to rush in.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:31 pm

I'd tell you what I tell to any new CoH player "But the late German tank spam is unstoppable ! This game is unbalanced towards the germies couse they got good armor with which they roflstomp the allies". Its true the late German tank rush is unstoppable for an allies player, however if you let the opponent to gain such giant resource advantage over you this game is already over, tank rush or not, part of being clever is knowing how to apply pressure and never let your opponent gain such forces, and even then creative players can overcome a strength by numbers by applying the right unit in the right time, same goes here.

Don't blame stats in your lack of creativity or vision. As I showed you above even though you claimed that stats make all outcomes predictable its possible to have surprises, same goes here, stats are just a tool, a tool that helps the GM evaluate each side in a battle, its nothing more and nothing less, it doesn't choose the outcome of a battle, it doesn't dictate you how to use your units, it doesn't limit you either. Nobody took your keyboard away, type anything you want to your heart's contempt, anything stats can't describe you got your words for it, they just provide you with a shortcut in a few places.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:39 pm

While other players should try to stop people from gaining instoppibruity, they won't

I announced early on that I was building a massive thingy(Stauros). Nobody stopped me.

Ringworld. Nobody stopped me.

The way it would work would be everyone vs Strigiforme, because everyone wants to be 100% paragon good guise. As for stats evaluating a battle, it would take all of no battles before someone would call BS on superior writing skill in a roughly equal battle, and make it strict by the stats interpretation.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Then its about time you stop seeing stats are a replacement to writing, its complimentary, plus you know to build something giant in an RP with stats that won't be easy ... I'd use your weakened state for a strike, well if they didn't do it I can't do anything about it, if such project reaches completion Im afraid nothing can stop you, "tank rush" or not ...

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:04 pm

If stats exist in any capacity other than a very simple and very minor one, people WILL use them to rules-lawyer. And rules-lawyering in a deliberately vague ERP causes rage when someone takes his "stats say so ergo I'm holier than thou" approach.

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Strats are better than stats. no exceptions.
Ivan. Rule. now. plz.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:55 am

L-ADM Error wrote:If stats exist in any capacity other than a very simple and very minor one, people WILL use them to rules-lawyer. And rules-lawyering in a deliberately vague ERP causes rage when someone takes his "stats say so ergo I'm holier than thou" approach.
Well I'd like to remind you stats are the representation of your latest actions, and yes if your fleet number is bigger than your opponent’s then yes your fleet is fking bigger than your opponent's, its a fact created by your posts and logged in your stats, yes stats are used to decide things, but not because of stats, because of what they represent. It would be stupid if you make stats that mean nothing isn't it ?

It doesn't mean you automatically loose, if the enemy's fleet is bigger adapt to it, if you call it auto defeat that enemy has greater numbers its time you learn some tactics, its not the fault of the stats there, you can't blame em for loosing. OFC stat wise the odds are against you if the actions your enemy took put you in that situation, just while in text form you might ignore it or evade it or claim its not true, but here its all visible and factual, you can't use cheap godmodding to get out. Does it limit your freedom ? Yes it does, but in the same time think about your opponent who did a hard work to get there, who planned carefully on how to defeat you, it might limit your freedom but it protects the rights of others, it makes things fair.

that is why they exist after all, to make things fair. Stats are unbiased, they represent the situation as is. OFC they cant cover everything but that is why you got your keyboard, again they are COMPLIMANTARY, not REPLACEMENT to anything, additional tools that the GMs can use to make a fair choice, and yes if the opponent has an advantage over you it will be fair if they win, not the usual "BOTH SIDES KILL EACH OTHER" scenario.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:19 am

I still think the problem is mainly in that you don't always say everything. Or at least don't phrase in a recognizable way. Regardless, I doubt you'll make any lasting change if any. Because if there's one thing I know, it's that people don't often like change. At all. In any way.