"WE" discuss RPs

Post yer RPs here.
Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112
Re: "WE" discuss RPs

Post by Solar112 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:02 pm

L-ADM Error wrote:(not Solar-level, but getting there.)
srsly. My math isn't that bad. I've given my ships a very easy formula to determine the volume of material in the hull, a size for the 'extruder(s)', and a time to extrude a certain length through that extruder. We'll use my Class 00 fighter for example.

That is a 4 meter long, 30cm thick, cylindrical shell with an outer diameter of 2 meters.
The extruder is 4 meters long by 30 cm thick and extrudes 2 meters of hull in 2.5 minutes giving it a volume rate of 0.96 cubic meters per minute. There are 1,440 minutes in a day and .96 times 1,440 is 1,380. So my fighter factory can produce 1,380 m^3 of hull per day.

Class 00 fighter:
Volume of hull = 3.487 m^3

3.487/0.96 = 3.63

so 3.63 minutes per hull

then I gave it a few components:
4 2 MW lasers, 6 medium thrusters, 16 light maneuvering thrusters

then I assigned a time I felt reasonable to each item.

2 MW laser: 5 minutes
Fighter Medium engine: 8 minutes
Fighter Light man. engine: 2 minutes

4 * 5 = 20
6 * 8 = 48
16 * 2 = 32
20+48+32+3.63=103.63 minutes per ship.
1,440/103.63=13.89 ships per day.
I've estimated 1 day to be roughly 3 posts.
Vinyl wrote:TL;DR Math isn't bad, it's just difficult and can be game-breaking at worst. Plus, writing is funner than counting.
Math is not difficult, if you don't like math try https://www.wolframalpha.com . it does the math for you, just give it numbers.
Having a hard time remembering? Use google docs, or word to keep track of everything.
prototype wrote:Although the 100% by-the-numbers RP I did a while ago went pretty well until I couldn't update the map for reason. I could possibly draw something up to use real maths (much fun) but even you'd get tick off with that Iv (assuming it was actually you who wanted to keep calculations out of the mod).
wait you did one of those? aww.
L-ADM Error wrote:/emote quietly points out if Iv wants a stat-heavy RP precisely nothing is stopping him
I'd join the fuck out of that.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Math is too hard to remember is the problem. I dislike math, and feel it restricts a game by blocking plot based immposibruitys. This could be seen as a good thing by [insult], but for most it is not. I far prefer non-numerical RPs, and will avoid a number RP like the plague, and disallow the Strig in it.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:28 pm

blocking things that are impossible is good. well that is if they're ridiculously impossible. Ex: a mech that is 52.8 billion ly tall. Other than that things like the stauros, fen's ring, and my miniships are fine.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 am

Well the issue I see here is people have different preferences when it comes to RPs. I'm afraid that if not everyone agrees with each other there's pretty much fuck all to be done about it, changing people's preferences is pretty fucking difficult.

Personally I'd prefer to sack of numbers and empires altogether and go for something more like grounded. But there's few others who would do that, and I can respect that.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:36 am

Your posts are waaaay to predictable Error, go read the OP again for god's sake ...
Iv121 wrote:"WE hate numbers they make stuff complicated they overburden stuff we don't want to do this that we don’t want to think !", Id like to remind you all of the equally successful RPs that did have stats in them.
@ ACH and others:
Iv121 wrote: Is it that hard to write down some simple numbers on the front page ? To make 1 + 1 when you "make your fleet bigger" or stuff ? You do all of it anyway, if you want to be part of an RP you need to note when ppl build something, make a move do a thing. You pretty much already do 90% of the job, all that is left for you is to call things by their name and say that when you built yet another cruiser (with a name that doesn't tell a single damn thing to the person who reads it) you added +1 to your fleet stat, not only it is a much quicker, time saving and informative way to say the same thing, the fact your fleet stat is now 10 actually means that in TWO CHARACTERS, '1' '0', you keep track of 10 paragraphs that describe the construction of 10 ships.
We already established in this very thread that writing x had 100 he lost 5 now he has 95 is not rocket science, it doesn't burden you in any way and instead of complicating the keeping track of the RP is EASES IT UP because instead of keeping track of countless posts about fleet status they all summed up in three characters , so no I don't buy this "its hard to keep track" shit. You should already keep track of the RP posts if you play that RP, all you need to do now is to note the "fleet -5" line at the beginning (or end) of a post and the stat on the main page. Even if you had to do a break and didn't play for a month when you come back a single look at the stats page will get you fully informed about a month worth of events. OFC some good chucks of information will be missing but its much better than what other methods have to offer (that being nothing but reading a month worth of RP posts)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:40 am

Okay, because you seem to be disregarding it, I shall repeat.

>> PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT PREFERENCES <<

Ergo, some would like a stat-based RP, some would not. Odds are the "canon" RP will continue as-is. Deal with it.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:53 am

They have different tendencies sure however fact is most ppl love both on the same level, you can see it by taking a look at the RP participation in both types, in fact the differences between both types for the end user are so minor that I can't really call them "different genres" , perhaps the reason both are identically loved by the public.

I didn't ignore your words BTW, it must be the 1000th time I write the same thing I wrote in the OP long before you even replied, for some reason you don't make the connection between your questions and the OP so I decided that instead of writing it over and over again I will quote it from the OP, this way I don't end up answering the same question 100000 times over instead of 1000, for some reason each time I rephrase the same answer you find a need to rephrase your question, it ends up an endless argument, this time around Im not letting it happen.

Finally its all good and nice what you try to say however I can't call it an argument against the system, if ppl so love one "type" over another there must be a reason for it, go ahead and state it, try not to repeat the countless things I already answered earlier pls.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 am

The difference between a numbers roleplay and a story roleplay is that a numbers roleplay often ends up at a 'god point' in which your so blatantly overpowered that nothing can defeat you and the game becomes a stale paragraph of numbers. A story roleplay is based soley on the players whims and moderation, your power is as much as your willing to push the system and how good of a storyteller you are.
For the current roleplay we already keep track of ship numbers, but it's every man for himself because it's easier and simpler that way. We could start posting them but who would maintain it? ACH sure as hell isn't, Error probably doesn't want to be statboy for the RP, Fenway isn't on frequently enough to keep it updated and Tau is on once in a blue moon. It's just easier to maintain general ideas if numbers in our heads then bother making them reality.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error

Post by Error » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:26 am

Shadow nailed it (danke, herr shadowcat).

Again, Iv. If you want to make an RP where monitoring fleets, production, and such is manditory, go right ahead. Just don't expect a huge number of folk to join is all. But also again, number-intensive (comparatively) RPs set hard limits; once you hit those limits, it devolves into realpolitik and the equivalent of the Strig starting wars, nothing else. It becomes stale.

Our current ERP setup allows much more freedom and flexibility, and instead of "have reached x ships and y population, I can't go any further" (or some such), we can bend the rules a bit, mess with things, keep it fresh and unpredictable.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:08 am

I think there will be room for a slightly more stats based RP once the current one is finished. While the current one is running anything new will probably get ignored, so wait for it to run its course.

If you don't feel it's worth making a special tool for it, try setting up a trial run, so you can work out any flaws in the system and get an idea of who will play and how things will play out. Nothing too serious, but a trial run is always a good idea.

If it goes well, develop the idea, if it doesn't, you'll get a clear idea why.

If you want help with drawing up mechanics give me a shout, I've GMed a few things in the past and I've got a few ideas for something like this.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

Well problem is what you say there is "nobody can win nobody can loose", THAT is the definition of stale, you all remain the same, you come from point A get to point B just to discover after a year and like 200 pages that point B is actually point A ... If I am to make an RP I'd prefer that in some point some nations will just rip others apart as it happens in real life and in any other PvP RPs, when this happens the RP basically ends with their own winners and losers and you are free to start a new RP shortly after. This way you get both winners and losers, the RP doesn't get stale and repetitive, you get interesting dynamics and even if you loose the RP is much shorter so you get to be back in a new game soon after. It has nothing to do with stats though.

You have a valid point there Shadow however this point doesn't concern the type of RP Im talking about, its just a different RP type. Have a look at the RPs we had before as a proof, they are similar to the current for the end user, its the array of tools that GMs have now that makes the difference. You imagine that the RP I talk about is something else, you are wrong. Well practically some ideas I had in mind are drastically different but Im afraid they are too ambitious for you considering you are barely able to handle a single line of "fleet -5", those would be a different kind of RP, "fleet -5" however ... not so much, its another way to write a whole paragraph describing a battle or a sabotage or something ...

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Has it ever occurred to you that we argue against you because we think you're wrong, not just because we hate you, and that we hate you because you're at least insinuating that we're wrong and you're right and no other way, aside your your way of course, is right, besides your oh-so-holy point?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:53 pm

No, because you don't bring any new counterarguments, I answered every single one you brought so far, 75% of them in the very OP , you repost the same things with different words and call it a "new" problem so in the end you think "my" "system" (wow such revolutionary thinking it is write down "fleet -5", isn't mine either its a fact you used it before and its a fact it worked well enough ) is full of problems and use it as an excuse to evade me. So yup mate it does look like you argue for the sake of it, its clear from the way you write "your oh-so-holy" points. The most hypocrite thing in this situation is that you try to state my points are wrong while admitting you are practically on your way there already on the same breath, that is arguing for the sake of it.

I don't claim I know it all but so far most of you couldn't even go past the problems I answered in the RP, I think the fact the probs you bring up are answered there should tell you I actually thought about the issue. I may not know the best answer but fact is I looked into the problem far deeper than most of you bothered. Read the OP again, its a dialogue I had with myself while placing myself in your position (its the way I usually approach such problems), you will find most of what you stated condensed in those short quote-like sentences there.

So if you got any new point to bring like shadowcat bring it on Ill answer it all, please quit reposting the same stuff over and over again, it will never end at that rate.
Last edited by Iv121 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 pm

And, has it occurred to you also, that we don't find your answers satisfactory in the way you don't like our questions, hence why we end up asking them over and over again similarly to how you repost yours over and over again?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Has it occurred to you that just because you think your way is better doesn't mean everyone will? And to add to that, just because you think something should happen doesn't mean it will?