Post yer RPs here.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Schizo Tech

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:34 am

Chairman_Tiel wrote:Arguing is half the fun.

All the fun for me, actually. Actually writing stuff out is boring as hell, especially when it gets picked apart and called noncanon when it doesn't coincide with someone's plans for a situation.

@ACH No, that's not how it works. If you were able to hold off two sovereign nations at once (as op as that'd be) we wouldn't even be in this situation.
The thing is that the Alliance would stand very little to gain and a lot to lose. Suppose they did attack and took, say, the British Isles and some of Western Europe. While they did that, the Strigiforme would be bombing their cities and hundreds of thousands would die. Their other option would be to continue their takeover of the Americas, which wouldn't result in vast human and property losses, but would gain them roughly the same amount of land, which would additionally not be inhabited by nationalistic owls.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 am

"Here's an RP about stuff. Now, instead of playing and having fun, let's use magic for asspull and argue about stuff that doesn't matter in any way at all ever, unless we're going to make a history book of the universe."
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:16 am

ACH0225 wrote:
Chairman_Tiel wrote:Arguing is half the fun.

All the fun for me, actually. Actually writing stuff out is boring as hell, especially when it gets picked apart and called noncanon when it doesn't coincide with someone's plans for a situation.

@ACH No, that's not how it works. If you were able to hold off two sovereign nations at once (as op as that'd be) we wouldn't even be in this situation.
The thing is that the Alliance would stand very little to gain and a lot to lose. Suppose they did attack and took, say, the British Isles and some of Western Europe. While they did that, the Strigiforme would be bombing their cities and hundreds of thousands would die. Their other option would be to continue their takeover of the Americas, which wouldn't result in vast human and property losses, but would gain them roughly the same amount of land, which would additionally not be inhabited by nationalistic owls.
You still didn't address what I was saying. The Strigiforme can't always be this all-powerful faction in every RP, ACH. Here it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If you're committing your resources to attacking Australia your defenses are going to be weakened as a result. You're not going to be doing any offensive bombing or conducting large-scale military ops against the alliance because your attention is elsewhere. And if you do regardless than both fronts are going to be weakened as a result. Just look at WW1 Germany - if they'd had the one-front war they wanted we'd probably all be speaking deutsch by now. But when Russia mobilized they were caught off guard and ended up barely staving off the assault because they had to divy up their existing forces on the Maginot line to address the threat. The simple fact of the matter is that canonically the Strigiforme cannot effectively wage a two-front war here without already being powerful enough to take over the world anyway, which breaks the RP.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Julo
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Julo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:11 am

Guys, please stop this, I just want to continue with the RP and I think you managed to scare Fenway away, which is a bad sign.
Suddenly, Julo.
"This DOES NOT help!"

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:27 am

Nothing preventing you from RPing, to the best of my knowledge.

And I wouldn't be too worried about Fenway leaving. It may have been a concern before but he promised not to ragequit again so this must be him just getting busy.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 am

Chairman_Tiel wrote:-snip-
The thing is that the Strigiforme is a big nation with a lot of industrial power. The same could easily apply to all other nations. I don't think this should be thought of in terms of modern/recent geopolitics; the world was only tripolar for a very short time then, and has been bipolar, or even monopolar, ever since. I think the best possible, and only one I can think of, example would be the scenario of the novel 1984, wherein the nations fighting are such vast entities that they cannot feasibly invade or destroy any other nation. The ones presented here are far too vast to make more than small border snatches, probably territories like Denmark, misc South Pacific islands, parts of Alaska, and the Philippines. Given the vast size of each nation, though, it would be near impossible to gain a full victory by conventional military means, even with a two-front war. This said, the Strigiforme are probably marginally stronger than the others due to larger landmass and the control of several manufacturing areas like China, Japan, and Germany.

What I was saying was that a two front war on the Strigiforme would not ever occur unless the Strigiforme directly caused it, due to the proximity of major Alliance cities to the Strigiforme, as well as the frankly awful way the Alliance is stretched across the Atlantic. Just a note, if there was a war, the Strigiforme would win it shortly by putting massive forces to take Iceland and divide the Alliance in two.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:50 am

And then it flatlined because politics happened instead of guns.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am

The only people stopping you people from roleplaying are yourselves. Seriously, stop making excuses, mmkay?

@ACH Okay.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:05 am

Chairman_Tiel wrote:The only people stopping you people from roleplaying are yourselves. Seriously, stop making excuses, mmkay?

@ACH Okay.
Quit acting like it doesn't affect the thread, if your driving a car and I'm sitting next to you arguing loudly with someone about engines it's gonna be rather hard to drive.

It kills the mood of the thread and no one wants to RP with two people arguing in the same room. If you want to continue it please take it to PMs but the rest of us feel really awkward when your just doing it out loud mmkay?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:09 am

Shadowcat wrote: Quit acting like it doesn't affect the thread, if your driving a car and I'm sitting next to you arguing loudly with someone about engines it's gonna be rather hard to drive.
That's a bullshit analogy and you know it.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 am

How about this one:
Imagine you're at a table, talking and joking around with some friend about, say, owls. And then two of those friends start arguing about feathers, talons, birdcages, and other vaguely owl-related things. The argument moves over to shouting and the two stand up and throw away their chairs.
And when you ask them to stop, one of them says "Don't worry you can still keep your conversation going."
And as mentioned, PMs never stopped being a thing that is real.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:30 am

You still willfully ignore the fact that there's a huge difference between verbal and textual conversation and their respective susceptibilities to being filtered out. I don't see where chairs factor into it either - it's a lot harder to disregard an activity where you're going to get auditory and visual feedback without explicitly taking precautions than it is, oh, I dunno, a sentence a guy makes on the internet no one's forcing you to read?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:51 am

Arguing about how arguing prevents RP, you are fucking brilliant. I mean, did anyone catch that or are you people too far stuck up a your own white knight asses whining about tiel and ACH? They're discussing a matter that's pretty relevant, possibly unnecessary, but it will smooth out the future of this RP if it has one.

And, really, there would be quite a bit of internal discontent within a nation so large, declaring international war could lead to the outbreak of many civil wars. That's an advantage Australia has over the Strigiforme. I also get the feeling that the Aussies would be fighting a defensive war and already use (more or less) large-scale geurilla tactics. They'd also have naval superiority. And no doubt that the Alliance would side with Australia in such an event, as tiel has said.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:30 pm

catsonmeth wrote:And, really, there would be quite a bit of internal discontent within a nation so large, declaring international war could lead to the outbreak of many civil wars. That's an advantage Australia has over the Strigiforme. I also get the feeling that the Aussies would be fighting a defensive war and already use (more or less) large-scale geurilla tactics. They'd also have naval superiority. And no doubt that the Alliance would side with Australia in such an event, as tiel has said.
The Alliance would go to suffer massive civilian and military casualties because of Strigiforme military campaigns for a war they don't really have anything at all to do with? As for Australia defending, Tiel was postulating Australian aggression against the Strigiforme, so it would be an offensive war. The Strigiforme would obviously have malcontent within the populace; every side would have that, as all nations have in every war, but the difference is that the Strigiforme Republic has existed as an entity for(as established by Error) roughly 300 years. This is enough time to sufficiently erase many regional identities in minorities, and create a sense of nationalism. The difficulty would lie in the multitude of species, but if push came to shove, internment camps are always an option.

And now to continue the RP

The gyrodyne landed at the LZ, and Kyr and his fellow soldiers boarded, met by medical staff. The gyrodyne rose and flew off back to the Strigiforme camp to the east, while another gyrodyne, this one full of aid workers with body bags and medical kits, swept in to start the cleanup effort.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:22 pm

After creating various magical wards around his airship, helios conjured up 6 shipboard 15 cm cannons. Testing the wards, he was satisfied that no one was going to get in without his permission. He then headed back to town where to every solari he encountered he muttered "From the brightest of stars, to the darkest of depths our reign is true." in Solari. About 7/8 of the people he said that to followed him, leaving with a crew of 23. Returning to the ship he quickly briefed them on why he called upon them, and then set up on his ship, one of them was extremely proficient in technology so she started outfitting the ship with various technological doodads.